C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker/Interior Thread. Need Options, and Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speaker/Interior Thread. Need Options, and Pics!

Right now the stock speakers are still in the car, and there is an aftermarket pioneer radio.

I wan't to change the dash speakers...which means I have to remove the dash...is this correct?

Also the dash speakers are 4x6 is this correct?
Will any 4x6 speakers work or are there certain ones that are bolt on and others that need a little extra fabricating? I noticed these http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...-309-1657.html and see that they are bolt on. Can anyone give a nice quality speaker that is an easy install?

Also for the moment I was planning on going with a MTX powered sub in the rear for the moment, I had one previously and it worked great.

So any front speaker reccomendations?

Now as far as interior...I want to change the interior to Black and Red...

Was thinking Black Carpet, Black Dash and Center console, Red Seats, Red Doors, Maybe Red Trim Pieces...Thoughts and Pics Please! If you think I should switch some things just let me know.

Also since I might be changing the speakers soon, I figured I would go ahead and changed out the front dashboard and center console, as well as replace some wiring back there etc...I need to really look over my current dash but I am thinking about dying it...thoughts on that?

Only trying to have the Dash off for about a week

Last edited by Dose11; 06-06-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You need to use the SEARCH function to pull up the many, many threads about the radio/speaker/Delco/aftermarket radio issues that have already been beat to death on this Forum. Then, if you have some specific questions, post again.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You need to use the SEARCH function to pull up the many, many threads about the radio/speaker/Delco/aftermarket radio issues that have already been beat to death on this Forum. Then, if you have some specific questions, post again.
Thanks already read many of these threads...Using the search, and Google...

I am verifying info that I have read, as well as getting peoples opinions on good sounding speakers that do not need any extra fabrication...besides the ones that I have found and posted a link to already...

If you have nothing to add...why don't you just not respond instead of saying "use the search"? Or if you do have something to add, or know of a specific thread that might help me find the answers that I am looking for...why not JUST SAY IT...OR POINT ME TO THAT THREAD !?!?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:42 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Im not sure about which 6x9 to use, but I have always heard that the dash speakers werent the way to go. The speakers in the kicks are the way to go..

And I can understand that as the sound would be hitting the windshield. And with the kicks you can hear them so much better.,
Just a thought . I just have kicks 6.5 and a 10 in sub. in the rear. with a 600w 4 channel and its more than enough ... it rocks.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Dose11
Drifting

6.5 in the kicks ay.

I thought about adding kick panel speakers...but every time I see them there is an God Awful futuristic grill over the speakers that I think just doesn't look good to me. I like stuff to look like it's suppose to be there if you know what I mean. But if someone has a smooth kickpanel installation...by all means post a pic and let me know what you used...
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
MikeKey
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dose11
Thanks already read many of these threads...Using the search, and Google...

I am verifying info that I have read, as well as getting peoples opinions on good sounding speakers that do not need any extra fabrication...besides the ones that I have found and posted a link to already...

If you have nothing to add...why don't you just not respond instead of saying "use the search"? Or if you do have something to add, or know of a specific thread that might help me find the answers that I am looking for...why not JUST SAY IT...OR POINT ME TO THAT THREAD !?!?
Why didn't you just ask follow up questions to threads that already have a dozen recommendations in them?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:25 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I put some Kenwoods in the dash because I read somewhere that somebody liked them. I have not had the car back to try them so I can't tell you how they work IMHO, but the installation was pretty easy, I had the dash out anyway, and they were cheap so I thought I would try them and I can always add kicks if I need them. I just had to cut the center out of the alloy top piece to clear the tweeter.
I know what you mean about the speaker grills in the kicks. I have seen some that I liked though so if you want to go that route, don't give up...

If you are interested I can find out what speakers they are.
Brent
Old 06-06-2012, 12:45 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

yes the dash speakers are standard 4x6, backs are std 6x9
Old 06-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeKey
Why didn't you just ask follow up questions to threads that already have a dozen recommendations in them?
So you would rather me bring multiple threads to the top...instead of just one new thread...OH OK

Plus I guess what some people do not understand is that technology is always changing...Someone could have installed a new set of speakers last week, or installed new interior last week...or a new subwoofer could have been released. Plus this is not only about the DAMN SPEAKERS...
Why do so many people care how I get my damn information, and ask why I did this, and why I didn't do that....Just stay off the thread if you have nothing to add...if you do not have any input on speakers, or any input on interior...THEN WHY DID YOU EVEN OPEN THE THREAD!!!!????
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by brent319
I put some Kenwoods in the dash because I read somewhere that somebody liked them. I have not had the car back to try them so I can't tell you how they work IMHO, but the installation was pretty easy, I had the dash out anyway, and they were cheap so I thought I would try them and I can always add kicks if I need them. I just had to cut the center out of the alloy top piece to clear the tweeter.
I know what you mean about the speaker grills in the kicks. I have seen some that I liked though so if you want to go that route, don't give up...

If you are interested I can find out what speakers they are.
Brent
This is True...I COULD add kick panel speakers later if the quality of the dash speakers were not up to snuff...hmmm
Originally Posted by jim-81
yes the dash speakers are standard 4x6, backs are std 6x9
Thanks for the confirmation

PTROXX I am looking through your speaker/radio thread now
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Dose11
...I thought about adding kick panel speakers...but every time I see them there is an God Awful futuristic grill over the speakers that I think just doesn't look good to me. I like stuff to look like it's suppose to be there if you know what I mean...
68s and 69s used 4x10 speakers behind each kick panel. No grills; no fuss. No see if you use reproduction stock speakers.

4x6s will fit behind the kick panels provided you do not purchase a pair with 90 lb. magnets on them.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:02 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I had a pair of Sony 4x6's in my 84 trans-am way back when. They were incredible sounding even though they were bouncing off the windshield. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore. They do not look like the ones Sony has out now, they looked more line these Infinity ones:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-INFINITY-...item53ed4add5b

As for Door speakers, I agree, I want them to blend. Don't need some punk breaking in because the grills yelled out...come take me.

I am building a custom sub box to fit in the back compartment behind the passenger seat. I'll carpet it up so nobody knows it's there. I figured an 8" Infinity sub would be powerful enough for such a small cabin and I could keep it out of site and out of the way as space is a premium in these cars.

Ken

Just remember to keep the Ohm's the same and match then to your deck. I made that mistake once...what a mess.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
68s and 69s used 4x10 speakers behind each kick panel. No grills; no fuss. No see if you use reproduction stock speakers.

4x6s will fit behind the kick panels provided you do not purchase a pair with 90 lb. magnets on them.

My pops used to hate me because I used to take all those big *** magnets off of speakers when I was younger!

So 4x6's will also fit behind the kick panels?
Are there any other sizes that will fit behind the kick panels?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 PM
wydglydrydr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Polk DXi 460s in the kick panels, but they fit behind the trim with no speaker grill showing. I ran self tapping screws into two corners, and at the bottom riveted a small tab, then ran a self tapping screw into it. I did the same thing in the back for DXi 690s. Riveted tabs to the car and then screwed the speakers to the tabs. The rear carpet covers the speakers completely, but don't impact the sound at all.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:46 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There is a lot to know and deal with when installing a radio/audio system in a car. You've provided no information on the radio you have or the one you want to use. What is it's power output? RMS watts? What is the output impedence of the amp? What is its allowed impedence matching range? Do you just have the radio head unit or are you using a separate amp?

What kind of sound are you looking for? Rock music only? Audiophile quality? How much do you want to spend on speakers? Single speaker on each output line or multiple speakers (dash and kickpanel area)?

You give us no information. You want all the answers. But you want to be a wise@ss when we offer good sources of the information you seek. Good luck with figuring it all out. I, for one, have no interest in helping you out.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:57 AM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 06-08-2012, 01:16 AM
holden7896
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dmeesq did you buy that or build it? I'm very interested in that setup. That looks awesome!!

Get notified of new replies

To Speaker/Interior Thread. Need Options, and Pics!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:27 AM
dmeesq
Drifting

Originally Posted by holden7896
Dmeesq did you buy that or build it? I'm very interested in that setup. That looks awesome!!
The box is available in a few different speaker hole confiurations, i got mine off of ebay, then you put your own speakers in. it came with grey felt then i dyed it black to match my car. Although it may come in black also now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-CH...#ht_2727wt_952

I also have speakers in the headrests of my car.. Fiero seats.

and also still have the front dash speakers. All run with 2 amps and an equalizer.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 AM
holden7896
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a really nice car! What kind of sub is that?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:42 AM
dmeesq
Drifting

Originally Posted by holden7896
That's a really nice car! What kind of sub is that?
Kicker 10 inch

Quick Reply: Speaker/Interior Thread. Need Options, and Pics!