1972 windshield replacement problem and help request

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Default 1972 windshield replacement problem and help request

Hello
I have my 1972 at a glass shop to get the front windshield replaced. The glass they put in it is sized correctly, but the design of the windshield is not correct.

At the bottom of the glass there is a 4 inch black border that extends ABOVE the dashline. Here is the replacement glass.

THis border runs all around the perimeter of the car. The glass company will refund my money and install the windshield of my choice. I called another glass company to have them measure the black border at the bottom and they also measure 4 inches wide.

Here is my question and request. For those of you who have replaced windshields in your vettes, where did you purchase the glass from.

Thank you in advance for the replies. I will post more photos of this problem tonight.

kdf
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

I bought mine from Pilkington, the company who bought LOF glass with all the templates.

427SixPack recently bought one from them as well...
Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

BBCorv70

I used the search function and found the Pilkington glass being used in several replacements. The Pilkington website does not allow an order to be placed. From the Forum search several members used Auto Classic Glass to order the windshield from. On this website they do advertise Pilkington glass, but when I called them and asked to verify the bottom black border, they told me they measured it at 4 inches, which is exactly what the photo I posted shows.

Did you order from Pilkington directly, or did you go through a different vendor but specified Pilkington products.

Thank you
kdf
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi KDF,
My original windshield has 4 3/4" of black-out at the bottom and none at the sides or top. The 4 3/4" is just were the 'tab' extends down, further to each side were the glass 'swoops' up, the black-out is only about 1/2" wide. It ends at each lower corner. The blackout in your picture is VERY different from the original.
I bought my glass from Auto City Classic in Minnesota
The prices are excellent, but the shipping $ is scary. (Windshields must be shipped by truck).
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-31-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 AM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Thanks Alan

I called Auto City Classic on Monday and asked them to confirm if what is on their website is the actual glass. They measured the width at the corners and it is over 4 inches. The same as what is shown in the photo I posted.

But on the website the sticker on the glass is for Pilkington W714 which is the correct glass. I dont think they have the Pilkington in stock now.

kdf
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM
kdf1986
Safety Car

I checked the model number on the windshield. It is DW714 which is the same model number as some members have posted.

Here is the photo showing how large the black band is and how high it protrudes up the windshield.

Another question. I may have found another vendor for the glass. But this is listed as tinted green with top shading. Is the green tinted glass an original stock configuration. I would rather go with a green tinted glass but remove the border at the bottom.

Thank you
KDF
Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

This is what the proper replacements look like.

It is a Pilkington, DW stands for windshield, GB = green tint, blue shade, and the rest stands for no border and black bottom.

The windshield you show was made by
FUJIAN YANHUA GLASS INDUSTRY, CO., LTD.
HONGLU TOWN
FUJIAN PROVINCE
CHINA
Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Noonie: Your post made me google a bit and I found this site:

http://www.carwindshields.info/DOT_db.htm

I guess this is where you found the info on the manufacturer. That's pretty cool! I'm going to double check my Pilkington, should be Mexico like yours.

One thing though: Did the factory WS have a thin black side border or not? EDIT: Just saw Alan's post above, so no blackout on the sides from the factory.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've have it in a catalog, but the same info as that page.

Np, the blacked borders on windshields only started after the oems started using urethane glue, as uv breaks it down and also a little unsightly since the newer outer trim is usually just a thin plastic molding to cover just the edge of the glass.

On these old cars the stainless covers the glue.

The OP should be able to get the Pilkington WS from any auto glass shop with in a day or too. Local distributers here.

Last edited by noonie; 07-31-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:31 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

hello Noonie
Thanks for the post. I did contact Auto City Classic as they show the Pilkington glass on the website, and the photo is what I believe to be correct and matches the glass you showed. Except your photo was for a 73 -82 model year. The 68-72 have a deeper front center section.

I ordered a WS, and then I called them to verify the width. After I purchased it I noticed a statement that the glass ordered may be different than what is pictured. I called them to verify the bottom dimension and it was 4 inches. So that does not match their photo, and it does not match what is required for the car. I then cancelled my order with them. In the photo I can see the Pilkington sticker on the upper section of the glass.

I found the Pilkington website and found some locations for them. I will call to see if they have a location nearby that can provide the glass.

kdf
Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi kdf,
Something is goofed up.
There's no way the replacement glass can be used with 4" of blackout at the lower corners. Is Auto City understanding your question?
Here's the amount of black-out on the logo/dated windshield I got from them. It's about 3/4".
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-31-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:06 PM
zwede
Race Director

Maybe Auto City classic measured the width of the blackout in the lower center? 4" sounds about right if that's were they measured.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

I have contacted 3 different shops so far- in the San Jose Area, and they all must get the glass from the same manufacturer.The black band goes all the way around the perimeter of the glass and will hide the VIN number on the windshield post.

Look at the difference between the corners in my 72 and 73. I tried to photo these from the same perspective. Notice how the band is about 3 inches above the corner where the dash and windshield post meet.

You can see where the black band goes all the way around the windshield. Not like the DW714 model from the website photos I have found.

I think this shot shows how far up the band goes in the center section.

I am calling a 4th place today, and sending these photos to explain what I need, and what is incorrect.

kdf
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Fascinating... (sorry that you're experiencing such delay in acquiring the correct windshield, kdf.)

Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 PM
zwede
Race Director

My Pilkington is DOT 177. Maybe that will help you in your search.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:17 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Hello Zwede

The DOT 177 means your glass was made in Mexico.

SEARCH RESULTS
DOT NUMBER: 177
Manufacturer: L-N Safety Glass S.A.DE C.V. of Mexicali

The windshield number I am looking for is the DW714. BUT.....the glass I have in it now has the correct number, but the design is bad. So just calling up a shop and asking for a DW714 has not helped me at all.

As Noonie replied, this glass was made in China.
SEARCH RESULTS

DOT NUMBER: 459
Manufacturer: Fujian Yanhua Glass Industry, Co., Ltd.

The good news is I did find a correct glass replacement and will order it today. I cant read the manuf. label, but the black border is correct.

kdf
Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 PM
zwede
Race Director

Originally Posted by kdf1986
Hello Zwede

The DOT 177 means your glass was made in Mexico.
Yep, that's were Pilkington makes the C3 windshields (they have plants all over the world). You can see the "Made in Mexico" on the sticker in Noonie's pic earlier in the thread.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 windshield replacement problem and help request

Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 AM
OtisHickman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dot

Originally Posted by zwede
Yep, that's were Pilkington makes the C3 windshields (they have plants all over the world). You can see the "Made in Mexico" on the sticker in Noonie's pic earlier in the thread.
Thanks guys, i have to see mine is how.

http://glassmanco.com/

Last edited by OtisHickman; 08-24-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Corvette Central sells windshields that look to be correct for the early C3s did you check with them and are they correct?

cc
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Hello
I should have posted this information earlier, but other important Corvette stuff got in the way. Anyway I like to see closure and the end results on peoples help threads, so I will add my own closure to this.

The company that installed the windshield sent the following email to me in October. They said that there was a problem with the specifications on their windshield, as I was trying to tell them. Well its nice to know that Safelite follows up on their actions, and I am happy to report this to my fellow Corvette Forum friends. I ended up getting the correct windshield from Auto City Glass. This was because they were the only company that I called that would physically pull the windshield out of stock, take a photo, and send me the photo for verification. Now I have the right spec windshield in place.

Thanks to all for you helpful suggestions along the way.

And now....here is the reply email.

Hello Mr. Facklam,

I wanted to circle back to you regarding the experience you had with Safelite. This issue started an investigation into the specifications of the windshield for your model of Corvette.

By calling this to the attention of our supply chain, it was found that the windshields currently made by FYG (the most prominent supplier of this part) were in fact out of spec.

Safelite has taken action to prevent this issue from happening in the future. I wanted to let you know that we do take these issues seriously, and strive to improve our service.

Thanks you again for your business,

Quick Reply: 1972 windshield replacement problem and help request