1971 Journey

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:09 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by nwav8tor
Craig,

Just got done reading the whole thread. You do great work and I've bookmarked and subscribed to the thread to ensure I don't miss any updates. I'm still disassembling my '71 for a body off resto (my first ever) and I know I'll be referring to your posts for help in the future.

Happy Vette'ing,
Paul
Thanks Paul

Looking forward to your thread as well.

Craig
Old 02-03-2015, 04:19 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Started to work out how to do central locking in the 71.

I already have the control module mounted and ran wires to the drivers door when I reworked the regulators etc.

Now time for the passenger door to be resfreshed so first work out where to mount things.

Decided the easiest way would be to add to the existing lower lever mechanism.

So I mocked up an overlay.

Took a few tries to get it correct.

Mount actuator parallel to existing rod.

Some adjusting and it works well.

Now take it apart and make a neater one using this as a template.

Also need to drill and rivet the overlay to the existing lever to reduce any extra movement in the linkages.

Last edited by CraigH; 04-10-2023 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:13 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigH
I already have the control module mounted and ran wires to the drivers door when I reworked the regulators etc.
Craig... I`m playing with an idea to make the astro vent flaps on my 71 coupe electric ( I already have electric headlight & wiper door), so would you please tell me what your door lock module is out of, and how much travel does it have? I think it only needs to go a couple inches for what I want it to do. THANKS!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oldgto
Craig... I`m playing with an idea to make the astro vent flaps on my 71 coupe electric ( I already have electric headlight & wiper door), so would you please tell me what your door lock module is out of, and how much travel does it have? I think it only needs to go a couple inches for what I want it to do. THANKS!
Hi....I just purchased a generic central locking kit on ebay. Choice was made mostly on the size and look of the remote.

It comes with standard door actuators that move about 5/8" however looking around I see you can get some heavy duty ones that have a little more movement.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:48 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

I have previously replaced my C3 Retro Radio with an Antique Automobile Radio and have been fairly happy.

Page 33

Have tried different speakers while experimenting but now have plate speakers in the dash with capacitors to minimise bass distortion and 5.25" in the kick panels. The inbuilt 45x45 amp is actually reasonably good and produces a clean sound (clean enough for inside the noise Vette anyway)

Page 2

Page 31

However it just needed a bit more bass to round out the sound.

So, I have been looking how to add a bit more bass without loosing any real space or taking the look of the interior away from stock. Like the kick panel speakers I don't want them to be seen at all.

I purchased an all in one sub box a while back but was unable to work out how to hide it so the project went on the back burner.

However last week while looking through eBay I found the Kenwood KSC-SW11 that looked compact but had reasonable reviews and looked like it could go under the seat.

In fact it does fit under the seat but the clearance to seat spings is not enough for my liking so that option was gone.

Till I looked at the storage box behind the passenger seat.

The Kenwood unit is exactly the right size for the box. It won't go all the way in but sat about right, so i made some craftwood supports and fitted them to the storage box.

The box fits perfectly now and allows the lid to close. Wiring is easy and it can be lifted out from its tight fit to get to items below it in the storage box or even unplugged if not needed.

And how does it sound.

Excellent, rounds out the sound perfectly.

Now keep in mind I am not after true bass boom, just a full sound in the car.

If I wanted heavy bass i would need a proper sub box etc.

This is just a nice clean system that can be heard while driving and offers clean well rounded sound.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:07 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Did some work on my door glass to see if I could remove some of the vertical scratches in it.

Fine emery in different grades then polishing paste.

You can see the cloudy look of the glass after using the paper.

Finished glass looks a lot better but won't know for sure till its back in and i have real light through it.

May have to rework some sections later.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:24 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Door is almost ready for glass.

Dynamat inside and some on the outer skin, new motor and regulator, power door locks.

Just need hook and loop tabs to be riveted on and will be almost there.

Last edited by CraigH; 04-10-2023 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 732 Posts

LOOKS AWSOM , I just started my 1971, lots of issues or adventures as they say. I want to make it a good looking, reliable daily driver. Love the thread and great work. I'm spending most of the money on the drive train and motor with a 5 speed.

Re-did the rear completely as you did. Now working on the front end. Adding Borgeson power steering as a few cars here have it and love it.

I like the power door locks and may try it after I get the car running.

Thanks for a great thread...

DO YOU HAVE A SHOT OF THE INSIDE OF THE PASSENGER FENDER WELL BY THE WIPPER DOOR. The nose on the car was replaced in 1988 and you can see the fan cage. I don't want to pull the wiper door on the 72 unless I have to,
thanks

Last edited by BLUE1972; 03-02-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added question
Old 03-10-2015, 05:16 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
LOOKS AWSOM , I just started my 1971, lots of issues or adventures as they say. I want to make it a good looking, reliable daily driver. Love the thread and great work. I'm spending most of the money on the drive train and motor with a 5 speed.

Re-did the rear completely as you did. Now working on the front end. Adding Borgeson power steering as a few cars here have it and love it.

I like the power door locks and may try it after I get the car running.

Thanks for a great thread...

DO YOU HAVE A SHOT OF THE INSIDE OF THE PASSENGER FENDER WELL BY THE WIPPER DOOR. The nose on the car was replaced in 1988 and you can see the fan cage. I don't want to pull the wiper door on the 72 unless I have to,
thanks
Thanks Blue1972

Is this what you wanted.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ourney-17.html

If I have it wrong am happy to take some shots if you can tell me where and from what angle etc.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

That shot really helped, I am doing the a/c delete cover also, as soon as the front end is back together, As I want to install the vintage air in a year or so if funding works. I did not disassemble it yet.

The other question is - looking from inside the area for the wipers, by the right passenger wiper swivel post, along the fender under the wiper door I can see the heater fan blades. It looks like something is missing - like a screen or plate.

The previous owner and his mechanic did all the repairs themselves, don't ask - 2 ball joints literally fell apart when the bolts were removed.

I normally use my 72 as a guide - all original, but due to the weather it's not possible + removing 50 year old screws ?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:01 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

That shot really helped, I am doing the a/c delete cover also, as soon as the front end is back together, As I want to install the vintage air in a year or so if funding works. I did not disassemble it yet.

The other question is - looking from inside the area for the wipers, by the right passenger wiper swivel post, along the fender under the wiper door I can see the heater fan blades. It looks like something is missing - like a screen or plate.

The previous owner and his mechanic did all the repairs themselves, don't ask - 2 ball joints literally fell apart when the bolts were removed.

I normally use my 72 as a guide - all original, but due to the weather it's not possible + removing 50 year old screws ?

Thanks again for the help.
Bit hard to get in and see there with the wiper door on but got shots that may or may not help.

I can't see the fan cage.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

I decided to recover my seats. Have had the Corvette America covers sitting there for a while as i got them in a Willcox sale a few years back.

First step is to strip them down.

Some minor surface rust before and after restored.

Frames off to be media blasted.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:36 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Finished off the drivers door.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

While I am finishing off small projects I tidied up the hidden sub wiring.

Put the right side dash back in after mounting the central locking and fan controller module to an aluminium plate (Am waiting for the version 2 of the controller - Ralph has been very busy:-)

Last edited by CraigH; 04-10-2023 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:47 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Passenger side started back together.

Almost done but the new door panels I think need to see some heat before they will fully come in tight on the velcro pads.

Have fitted them up but will revisit it later.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:23 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigH
Passenger side started back together.

Almost done but the new door panels I think need to see some heat before they will fully come in tight on the velcro pads.

Have fitted them up but will revisit it later.

Hi CraigH, the interior is coming along and it all looks great. Clean and a neat job. All looks good.
r
Old 03-12-2015, 11:30 AM
chucksingh
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rvzio
Hi CraigH, the interior is coming along and it all looks great. Clean and a neat job. All looks good.
r

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 Journey

Old 03-15-2015, 08:17 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

It helped, thank you

I was able to see a 73 today, there is a screen at the end of both wiper tray, channel ends to block leaves etc. When I pulled the A/C heater box it was 3/4 full of leaves and debris.
Ordering the A/C delete box today. Thanks for the pictures, you car looks great.
Here is a shot of mine, I am going to make a "leaf guard" for the ends of the wiper tray. This should keep leaves and debris out of the blower.

Hope to have mine together for the summer...
Thanks' again
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2015, 11:30 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

It helped, thank you

I was able to see a 73 today, there is a screen at the end of both wiper tray, channel ends to block leaves etc. When I pulled the A/C heater box it was 3/4 full of leaves and debris.
Ordering the A/C delete box today. Thanks for the pictures, you car looks great.
Here is a shot of mine, I am going to make a "leaf guard" for the ends of the wiper tray. This should keep leaves and debris out of the blower.

Hope to have mine together for the summer...
Thanks' again
Glad you could work it out
Old 03-20-2015, 11:50 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

While waiting for the frames to come back from media blasting Matt and I watched the Corvette America seat cover fitting videos and prepared the covers on the foam.

Clean soft area to work

Start inserting wires adding joiner clips etc.

Set aside till the next step.

Quick Reply: 1971 Journey