Sponsored by:

1980 Corvette - A dream come true

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:02 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SciVette
LOL... No the problem is I want both Brandon! I don't see too many C1s here in T-town, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Well that sounds like a great problem to have!

…sounds like some of my problems

Oh there are quite a few in town…IF..you know where to look. I know of about 5 C1's and where they are kept. I have seen others, but haven't tracked them down (yet). There are a few C2's over by Gorman. I have heard from a few people that there is an orange '65 convertible that sits in a garage over near Crown Kia. I have looked but (not really hard..but I did look a little for it) no luck on that one. Over by Green Acres there are a few C3s that sit. One in particular has sat for some 20+ years because the owner (a firefighter) needed to do an oil change and never got it done. He normally leaves the garage up and all you see is crap piled everywhere (floor to ceiling) but then "when you see it" the quad headlights are popping out of the wall of crap and you barely notice the front end of the C3. The guy says he is saving it for his kid. He is like 10? So it will have sat 20-30 years because it needed an oil change?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:12 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RobyC3
I tried to retrace the history of my Vette but I did not go that far.

Through the Title I found out who was the owner, but I think it was a car dealer, but ... but ... one day my Vette . .. helped me know how? Smontanto the door panel found inside a sign "FOR SALE"! The sign of the owner of my Vette!

From the phone number, I climbed to the owner's name, address ... I tried to call, but unfortunately none risponte!
What I do know is that it comes from Raynham, Massachusetts.

Too bad ... I would have liked to go back to the first owner and know its history

Well persistence will get you there! Just keep trying, I am trying to figure out more information on a 1970 428 Cobra Jet Mustang that I have that used to have an 871 blower on it and was a highly tricked out 1970's street machine. I have a little more information than you have on your '80, and my car has always been a local Texas car. So my search is only statewide whereas yours is worldwide.

Best of luck Roby!
Old 05-06-2014, 03:18 AM
RobyC3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandons72vette
Well persistence will get you there! Just keep trying, I am trying to figure out more information on a 1970 428 Cobra Jet Mustang that I have that used to have an 871 blower on it and was a highly tricked out 1970's street machine. I have a little more information than you have on your '80, and my car has always been a local Texas car. So my search is only statewide whereas yours is worldwide.

Best of luck Roby!
My last attempt will be to write a letter, maybe you are elderly or do not live there ... maybe it's a vacation home (do not know which area is Raynham)

We hope ...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

My father moved to America from Italy when he was 10 years old. We talk of visiting Italy one of these days. I'm another which shared the same dream as you.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:19 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

i also was a fan and still am. like the 89 style and did not want the computer. We are both happy!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Paukert
Cruising

Very cool story.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:37 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bellisimo!!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:42 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

marrivilliso !
Old 05-07-2014, 09:04 AM
RobyC3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MIKE80
My father moved to America from Italy when he was 10 years old. We talk of visiting Italy one of these days. I'm another which shared the same dream as you.

Very aggressive ... congratulations to you too!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 AM
RobyC3
Intermediate

Thank you thank you!

Now I update you on some work done.
I first discovered that the car had an accident in america. The door was off-axis, and inside there were pieces of glass, t-tops come in two colors (only one is Rayban), while the windscreen had been fitted badly as you can see from this picture:

When you replaced the windshield, they forgot to put the shims, and then fell to remedy the problem have put a lot 'of glue!

Result: Together with the now broken seals of t-top, it was raining when I seemed to be in an aquarium!

I was able to get unstuck and paste the windshield in the right position.

Then I ordered the gaskets in America (t-tops, windows, doors) ultra soft, now when I walk around in the rain it's like being in a submarine!

... Even if ... it takes a little rain !
Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 AM
RobyC3
Intermediate

Then I did small jobs that I will not tell , because it would be boring ... but ... but ... now comes the fun part !

The most urgent work was the engine .

Symptoms :
- Cylinder 7 is soaked with oil and stopped working after only 50mph because encrusted oil
- Compression on cylinder 7 ... two I was 3 to 9 and the others were closer to that 3 to 9
- When the engine is warmed up , my meager 100 horses and 2 oxen sat down and the car lost power
- Tailpipe came a large amount of oil ... putting your hand is smeared with oil

At this point ... what to do?

The solutions could be two , or open and adjust the engine or buy it in America hoping that you do not mount it on the night shift a Mexican drunk (there is this fear in Italy !) ..

But ... another dilemma .... stock solution or with a little ' more than pepper ? verve

Thinking that the engine was not munching number, the carburetor was not a Quadrajet but a Holley 4175 , not cast iron manifolds but shorty headers ... I only had the original air filter , I said, considering the fact that the ' my car is and always will be , I want it like I want it!

At that talking to several people , and getting the guarantees I opted for the Mexican drunk!

To give a little ' extra spice without overdoing it to avoid changing everything else , I opted for a ZQ3 69 that is a 300hp (even if the card they give more ), but it goes well with my 650cfm Holley from .

Here's the small:

The workshop did not tell me where he bought from the engine, but in the end I managed to find out! A company near Boston, who has good references.

Some photos of the work:

Old 05-07-2014, 10:00 AM
RobyC3
Intermediate

I know that this change leads to distort the cars and for the purists is a heresy, but I said ... who cares!

At this point it was put on the test bench:

Old 05-07-2014, 11:37 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! I too wanna 'enjoy' my daily driver... Don't plan to win any shows or ever have an 'original' car... If I ever want that I'll go looking for one later... But for now, I add and do what I need to keep her on the highway!

Keep us posted on progress! And in the end, I'm sure you be happy to have her back on the road ! And THAT is what matters!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:17 AM
RobyC3
Intermediate

Here's the symphony:

Old 05-14-2014, 03:56 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only imagine how GREAT of a feeling THAT must be !!! Congrats dude! Sounds awesome! Job well done
Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 AM
RobyC3
Intermediate

The Holley for the moment seems out of order, but I want to spend with care to fix it.
For the moment there was a handy carburetor 600cfm from the summit, the only change that the mechanic wants to do is change the jets and put them larger, because it says it has a minimum not perfect

The engine is ready, then goes back to the days in the engine compartment.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:50 AM
RobyC3
Intermediate

Change springs and jets

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Corvette - A dream come true

Old 05-19-2014, 06:18 AM
demoke
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too own a 1980. Mine is a 4/speed with a rebuilt engine. Just love the feeling being behind the wheel. It's great therapy for any of life's issues!!! Enjoy
Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 AM
RobyC3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by demoke
I too own a 1980. Mine is a 4/speed with a rebuilt engine. Just love the feeling being behind the wheel. It's great therapy for any of life's issues!!! Enjoy
Very true!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:26 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

the 80-82 look is a breathtaking body style... proportionally just "right"...is so many ways...

Quick Reply: 1980 Corvette - A dream come true