Sponsored by:

Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Front end update

Work continues, even though it seems to be moving pretty slow, we're still moving forward. The main focus has still been on the front suspension, still cleaning parts and getting ready for more assembly. So here are a few more pics from the this past couple of weeks activity.

Still working on the front end parts, seems like it will never end.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Brake Calipers

Started working on the brake calipers. These seem to be fairly new, just some outside surface rust to clean up. The brake pads look like new also, not much wear. But even thought they look like they were recently replaced, we're still going to tear them down and do a rebuild. I wouldn't want any braking issues when we get it back on the road.

Here is one of the rear brakes, not too bad, easy clean up. The inside looks like new, sorry no pics of the inside.

Disassembled, , cleaned, painted cast grey, and ready for reassembly.

One of the fronts back together and ready for install.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Engine progress

Got tired of working on the front end, so we spent a couple of hours on Sunday cleaning the garage and getting reorganized. I had too many separate projects I was working on at the same time and wasn't really getting anywhere, so we reset back to 0. Decided to spend the rest of the afternoon on the engine block. Cleaned up the cylinders, gave it a nice hot bath and some new paint. Not a great pic, but it's now oiled, bagged and waiting for assembly. That's it for now, we will do another update in a couple of weeks. I can't believe it is mid July already, I need to keep this one going so I can get the body back on before winter.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Back to the front

Made some good progress this week. Had a nice break from cleaning and painting parts, but now it's back to working on the front end. First up for this week is rebuilding the steering box.

Here is the box in serious need of a rebuild.

If you've ever followed a build like this, you know the story. This is what 30+ year old grease looks like. This definitely needs some attention.

Completely disassembled, all parts cleaned and the casting painted. New parts will complete the reassembly.

Everything put back together, adjusted and back on the car. Ready for another 30 years of use. lol

Old 07-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Continued

Having the steering box done, and back on the car, it's time to reassemble the rest of the steering. Here is a pic of the front end, pretty much done. Still need to paint the rotors, check them for run out, and I need to purchase some new hardware for the A-arm ends. And of course finish up the brake calipers and install them.

Also got the new fuel lines in this week, just need to buy some of the line to connect the hard lines to the tank, and that will be done also.

Just a shot of the chassis as it sits tonight. Awaiting more work tomorrow.

Later.......
Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

This is really an outstanding save and your efforts are to be commended. Bstunning!

Later,

Lee
Old 07-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by KYC4
This is really an outstanding save and your efforts are to be commended. Bstunning!

Later,

Lee
Thanks Lee, I'm just doing what I love to do, just on a bigger scale than before. Stay tuned, the best is yet to come......Terre
Old 12-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default We're back

All right, all right, all right, we're back. It's been awhile since my last post, and not much has happened. I took a few months off to work on some home projects, but now it's time to get back on the Vette project. One of the main goals for the summer was to get the body ready to go back onto the chassis, unfortunately that didn't happen, so it's now in storage for the winter. The new goal for the winter is to finish up the chassis and get it back on wheels.
First up is going to be the rear end. I purchased a new rear gear, bearings and seals and will begin by rebuilding the rear end. The new rear end ratio is 3:54. Here is a couple of pics of the starting point. More to come later......
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2015, 09:07 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Johnny it's good to see you moving forward on the '81!

Later,

Lee
Old 12-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by KYC4
Hey Johnny it's good to see you moving forward on the '81!

Later,

Lee
Thanks Lee, it's good to be back on the project. I'm getting a little push from the wife and kids to get this done, which is a big plus on a project like this.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:32 AM
Amorget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice project you have going on. Keep updating the thread as I am sure many more people have enjoyed reading it than have posted anything.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Thanks Amorget, I will keep posting as much as I can until this project is done. I get a lot of motivation following the other builds on the site, and so I don't mind contributing by sharing my progress on the build. Although comments are welcome, and appreciated, they aren't really necessary. I can simply look at the number of views and see that others are following along. Thanks again for the encouragement.....Terre
Old 01-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Rear end

The rear end has been completely disassembled and looks pretty good on the inside, no issues. Sent out the support and differential for media blasting and just got the parts back this week. Will start on the reassembly this week.
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2016, 06:18 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Project changes

Looking back at the beginning of the thread the plan was for a T56 trans and 18" wheels. However, I decided it would be better to go with a Tremec TKO trans in place of the T56. This means I am going to have to use some of the money set aside for the 18" wheels, to purchase the new transmission. I figure it will be easier to upgrade the wheels at a later time than it would be to upgrade the trans. So for the last couple of months I have been on the hunt for some different wheels. I narrowed it down to the stock wheels which I really like, or a set of turbine wheels. I really like the look of the turbines, and you probably won't see them as often as the stock ones. So I found a nice set of 15"x8.5" Western wheels in Indiana, and headed down there today to pick them up. Here is a quick pic of what they look like now. We will be doing some clean up, polishing and repainting in the near future.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Johnnycyclone; 01-10-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Rear end paint

Thanks to the warmer weather we have been having I have been able to do some painting. Here are a couple of before and after pics of the rear end painted. I used Eastwood Aluma Blast paint followed up by a few coats of dull clear. I think it turned out pretty nice. I will post another pic once it's back together.
Attached Images     
Old 01-30-2016, 11:13 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Trailing arms

Also received my rebuilt trailing arms this week, so we have begun installing the rear suspension on the car. That's about it for this week, hopefully we will have more progress to show next weekend.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2016, 01:59 AM
EIGHTY
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just read through your thread, so I'm all caught up. Everything looks great!

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Old 02-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by EIGHTY
Just read through your thread, so I'm all caught up. Everything looks great!
Welcome to the build EIGHTY, thanks for following along...
Old 02-01-2016, 03:02 PM
bmprhmpr
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Following ur rebuild

Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone
Also received my rebuilt trailing arms this week, so we have begun installing the rear suspension on the car. That's about it for this week, hopefully we will have more progress to show next weekend.
Doin same on a 78, like you, limited budget. Keep up the great work !!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by bmprhmpr
Doin same on a 78, like you, limited budget. Keep up the great work !!
bmphmpr,

The hardest part of the project is to keep reminding myself I have a budget to work with. What I would like to do, and what I am able to afford don't always align, so it's a constant battle. Fortunately I am keeping a spreadsheet on what I spend, which always helps to keep me in line. Hard work and attention to the details should make up for the lack of cash. Thanks for reading and following along.

Quick Reply: Yellow 81 C3 Project Build