Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Brack c
Looks great Richard ....
Love the way you're taking your car .
Thanks Brack!!!

A little more work on making a frame for the dash-and maybe strengthen the cowl a bit.

Just ½" steel tube- will triangulate it- but ran out of material-energy and time tonight!!!

I'm gonna bring the supports down to the transmission tunnel. I am just using the factory holes in the cowl area for mounts.

DSCN5457 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5459 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

That is looking /really/ good Richard, not that I would expect anything less.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:40 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I am glad I clicked this thread. There is a lot of imagination and work going on here. Taking something out of the normal dash and creating something new. It looks like your making good progress to get it to the design you want.

Will you be covering it in leather like the original Lamborghini design?

kdf
Old 08-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Postal123
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Still noodling over what to do below the gauges- and yes the original ones are great looking. Ummm- already have some Ford parts on it..."

Since you've gone the classic exotic route, I think this will be a great mod. Do you plan to change up the column as well (sans ignition switch)? If so, I think it look great if you followed suit with the Miura...since things will be covered in leather/vinyl how about a piece that extends from the console and then follows the contour until just below the gauges. Then secured with an ignition switch and a few other gadgets...with A/C controls on the console forward of the shifter...? Just a thought...

I plan to cover my '68 pieces in black leather/black stitching for a more subtle mod (to go with Mr Mike Fiero seats in '68/69 pattern)...similar to Sanman's car, but a bit more stockish looking.

I'm sure you've seen this already, but here is his thread...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-interior.html

Good Luck!

Last edited by Postal123; 08-12-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Madhatr
That is looking /really/ good Richard, not that I would expect anything less.
Thanks Chris!! Have you gotten your wife to do anymore sewing???

Originally Posted by kdf1986
I am glad I clicked this thread. There is a lot of imagination and work going on here. Taking something out of the normal dash and creating something new. It looks like your making good progress to get it to the design you want.

Will you be covering it in leather like the original Lamborghini design?

kdf
THANK YOU!!! That's what I will be attempting....experiment w/ vinyl then mess w/ leather!!!

Originally Posted by Postal123

Since you've gone the classic exotic route, I think this will be a great mod. Do you plan to change up the column as well (sans ignition switch)? If so, I think it look great if you followed suit with the Miura...since things will be covered in leather/vinyl how about a piece that extends from the console and then follows the contour until just below the gauges. Then secured with an ignition switch and a few other gadgets...with A/C controls on the console forward of the shifter...? Just a thought...

I plan to cover my '68 pieces in black leather/black stitching for a more subtle mod (to go with Mr Mike Fiero seats in '68/69 pattern)...similar to Sanman's car, but a bit more stockish looking.

I'm sure you've seen this already, but here is his thread...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-interior.html

Good Luck!
I have looked at a Customs/Hotrods/Custom C2/C3 vettes and if was going stockish- this was 76 was done -well- incredible!!!

I've been back and forth about the ignition column- as I already have a push button start/stop set-up. I am going to take some styling ques from the Vilner Corvette-do a google search on Vilner- and they have done a lot of really nice stuff-mostly newer cars.

Next I'm tackling the lower console-so far a have a pretty good grasp of the top dash and think it really where I want it. I have a sewing machine and will pick up some cheap vinyl to experiment with...My grandmother was a seamstress so I'm hoping I got some of her genes!!!

Richard
MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 08-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Originally Posted by Richard454
Thanks Chris!! Have you gotten your wife to do anymore sewing?
Haha! No, she got a loom. So she has been weaving, but she also said your progress is looking good.

Keep us posted on how the vynil works out
Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Haha! No, she got a loom. So she has been weaving, but she also said your progress is looking good.

Keep us posted on how the vynil works out
Hey Chris-I just got the guest bedroom finished- so if you are ever down here- you guys have a place to stay- ummm comfortably!!!

I've sort of decided to basically hide the AC controls in the console- I'll pull a really neat mechanism from my BMW 750IL parts car console- When you push on it - lid goes back a panel comes out.

Below the gauges I'll have the wiper switch & delay control/door lock/exhaust cut outs and defroster switch. Will mimic the Miura as much as I can. I have found some classy looking rocker switches-see below!!! Actually there are companies that will laser etch anything you want.
Since my heater will not be used- have heated seats- and don't want any 180º water inside the cabin -I'll have a couple of 12V ceramic heater/blowers to defrost the windshield- one for each side.

Actually like the look of these -Pantera- w/ the chrome trim

Anyway- another home-run as far as mounting the tach/speedo!!!

I picked up a 6" PVC coupler- which is a PERFECT fit for the stock gauges. Will get either some glass made or some plexiglass for the cover- the stop in the coupler will work great for holding the glass!!!

Richard

DSCN5461 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5462 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5463 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 08-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 08-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Quick update-

I have got the speedo & tach figured out as far as making the pods w/ 6" PVC

DSCN5471 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5470 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

And decided I want to keep the fiberoptics- so I mounted them below the radio. No radio- will cover the lower radio opening as it will become the console-

DSCN5475 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

For the rear fiber optics- I cut up the shifter plate and will mount it to the console-

DSCN5472 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 08-17-2015, 01:59 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Originally Posted by Richard454
Hey Chris-I just got the guest bedroom finished- so if you are ever down here- you guys have a place to stay- ummm comfortably!!!

I've sort of decided to basically hide the AC controls in the console- I'll pull a really neat mechanism from my BMW 750IL parts car console- When you push on it - lid goes back a panel comes out.

Below the gauges I'll have the wiper switch & delay control/door lock/exhaust cut outs and defroster switch. Will mimic the Miura as much as I can. I have found some classy looking rocker switches-see below!!! Actually there are companies that will laser etch anything you want.
Since my heater will not be used- have heated seats- and don't want any 180º water inside the cabin -I'll have a couple of 12V ceramic heater/blowers to defrost the windshield- one for each side.

Actually like the look of these -Pantera- w/ the chrome trim

Anyway- another home-run as far as mounting the tach/speedo!!!

I picked up a 6" PVC coupler- which is a PERFECT fit for the stock gauges. Will get either some glass made or some plexiglass for the cover- the stop in the coupler will work great for holding the glass!!!

Richard

DSCN5461 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5462 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5463 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
Richard, we would lime to make that trip some time... just not sure when that will be

As far as the dash goes...I too, like the chrome bezels. I'm not sure how to pull them off, do you think you can find them in the aftermarket? It is amazing what can be done when you think out side the box. However, I think you need to invest in a 3d printer my friend.

As a side note: I showed my wife that rocker headlight switch and she replied "And you have no cars that will fit in... *bummer*"
Old 08-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Not my style, but fascinating to watch how its being done!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 PM
82 beerhunter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one that wants to see the v12 in this thing!I know its a dash and gauges thread but I must have missed some thing some place? He said no radio needed has v 12 music! BTW looking nice !
Old 08-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

82BH... Search his threads , the engine is a work of art ( entire car is )
Originally Posted by 82 beerhunter
Am I the only one that wants to see the v12 in this thing!I know its a dash and gauges thread but I must have missed some thing some place? He said no radio needed has v 12 music! BTW looking nice !
Old 08-17-2015, 11:14 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Richard, we would lime to make that trip some time... just not sure when that will be

As far as the dash goes...I too, like the chrome bezels. I'm not sure how to pull them off, do you think you can find them in the aftermarket? It is amazing what can be done when you think out side the box. However, I think you need to invest in a 3d printer my friend.

As a side note: I showed my wife that rocker headlight switch and she replied "And you have no cars that will fit in... *bummer*"
Hey Chris-

They also have a rear light switch too- do a search on eBay!!! I'm sure your wife will love the assortment they have!!!

I was able to find a supplier of Rocker switches- have two sizes of bezels and several different configurations- SPST-DPDT-Momentary- Just what I need. The Pantera ones were $69 EACH!!!

Cole Hersee is the manufacturer-

This one has a pilot light- -Only pic they had-

Beerhunter-

here the build- need to update it-

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vette-v12.html

Thank you Brack!!!

And my favorite pic of the engine-

DSCN5168 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
Old 08-22-2015, 02:14 PM
VetteFan74
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subbing!

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Dash-w/ a stock look

Old 08-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Custom Dash-w/ a stock look

Richard, your skill and patience amaze me! I love those Pantera switches, but $70 each 😧💸.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Thank you....

Got some stuff I needed-

Two defrosters- or really here in the south- defoggers. Electric heated small blowers- one for each side. They will be tucked away in the dash-needed since I will not have a heater.

Vinyl- really just to mess w/ only cost me $5/yd x54"- so for $15 I have a nice size roll to screw up while I learn to sew!!!

Defroster Vents- went to the junkyard this morning and scored the pair for less then $10

Also found a Jag XJS- really nice shape but had an engine fire- I got a handful of switches.

Here's the outcome of the upper dash defrosted vent- I like the way it turned out-

Heat up immediately- so should work better than the OEM system waiting for the engine to warm up-

DSCN5476 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5480 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5482 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

I mounted the steering column to make sure everything would fit and look right- have been using measurements off my 73- and had measured more than twice- but actually mock-up is better!!!

DSCN5484 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Jag Switches

DSCN5487 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2015, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

***JOKING*****

Richard,
I have always asked myself WHY are you taking the easy route. I just don't get it. Why not challenge yourself...even if it just a little but.

****SERIOUSLY*****

I can HONESTLY write that I could easily work with you. If we worked together on a 'down and up' project car...I honestly think we could cause the earths axis to shift a few degrees due to the intense level of modifications and customization and put the world into the next Ice Age. I am NO LIMITS kinda guy. If a person can think of it and wants to put the money into the 'thought' becoming reality...I am ALL FOR IT. The key problem with this is that there are SO FEW people who want to stretch their imagination and actually have the perseverance and MONEY to do what they want.

SO...seeing a project like this...where you have NOT lost the desire to achieve your VISION.. I APPLAUD YOU immensely. So many people start out with all of the intensity...and then flutter out and begin to sacrifice their own standards from what they started doing in the beginning. I KNOW what it takes to do this...and keep the standards on track....and it is AWESOME!

DUB

Quick Reply: Custom Dash-w/ a stock look