Sponsored by:

71 Power Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:25 PM
TaiChiGuy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 71 Power Antenna

I'm thinking of replacing the non-removeable mast antenna on my 71 with a power antenna. Several vendors such as Ecklers offer a conversion kit for ~$190 and a replacement power antenna for ~$90. From the pics-description, the difference is that the conversion kit also gets you the power cable, antenna extension cable, and a generic mounting strap/bracket. What am I missing that makes the conversion kit worth the additional $100?

Has any body installed the Retrosound PA-01 (generic) power antenna.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi TCG,
Just to make sure…. the original 71 antenna while having a fixed length…. WAS removable, but of course not retractable.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-09-2016 at 12:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TaiChiGuy (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi TCG,
Just to make sure…. the original 71 antenna while having a fixed length…. WAS removable, but of course not retractable.
Regards,
Alan

If you loosen the nut it pops right out.
Easy to remove/install even with the nut finger tight.

On the other hand, a retractable can be very difficult to install correctly so the antenna has the correct angle and if you're forced to remove the radiation shield from below to install one then you'll lose some reception as the fiberglass car cannot assist the mast as a reception surface.
TaiChiGuy (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 06:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have installed power antennas in Corvettes that had the factory antennas.

The grounding plate can be used but it has to be slightly modified to allow the new antenna to work. I like using this plate to give the area around the hole in your body a bit more strength.

YES...getting the angle and support correct can be quite time consuming. Because when I get done..I want the antenna solidly secured...so it can not move the slightest...thus reducing the chance of any fine stress cracks at the hole for the antenna.

The cost difference may be the parts you need...such as the cable from the antenna to your radio. The factory cable WILL NOT be able to be used. The end of the antenna cable for your factory antenna will not be able to plug in to this new power antenna.

Depending on your skill level and what you want....you can expect to spend a lot of time on this.

DUB
TaiChiGuy (02-27-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

what Dub said-

Wiring it? You'll need to run one lead to a constant power source (battery is right there) and the trigger wire to the radio. Aftermarket radio no problem...OEM- will need to add a switch or wire it so when the ignition is on- the antenna comes up -turn the car off-it goes down.

Richard
TaiChiGuy (01-09-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 AM
TaiChiGuy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The current antenna is not original. Nor is just the antenna portion removeable. Thanks

I can see at most an extra $30 for the conversion kit that has the antenna extension, power cable, and generic mounting bracket. I just don't know why the extra $100; which is why I'm wondering if I'm missing something....

BTW, what's the best way to attach the other end of the mounting bracket and to where?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2016, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by TaiChiGuy
The current antenna is not original. Nor is just the antenna portion removeable. Thanks

I can see at most an extra $30 for the conversion kit that has the antenna extension, power cable, and generic mounting bracket. I just don't know why the extra $100; which is why I'm wondering if I'm missing something....

BTW, what's the best way to attach the other end of the mounting bracket and to where?

Thanks
Call and talk with the supplier of the antenna you plan on buying it from. It is simple...you obviously will need: power antenna assembly...any antenna cables...all related wiring and relay (if required)...and support bracket. That is it.

That would all be explained in the instructions of the power antenna you purchase.

Where you attach your support bracket will depend on what it looks like when you get the antenna mounted to the body..and then climb under the car and LOOK. One tip...make sure your support bracket is mounted to the BODY and not the FRAME. And how you do this is up to you.....which is why it has been previously mentioned that this can take some time to get RIGHT.

DUB
TaiChiGuy (02-27-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 11:26 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Just go to autozone or similar store and get you their power antenna. It's about $30. It is very easy to install in the car. You just wire up a switched power and a ground. Then plug in the antenna cable to your stereo. That is what I did with my 71 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 Power Antenna

Quick Reply: 71 Power Antenna