Sponsored by:

Frame differences

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Frame differences

I am an ignorant guest from the C! forum. I have an opportunity ? to buy a '71 4 speed conv with a totally rusted frame. Can someone give me a SIMPLE tutorial on the MAJOR differences in C3 frames ? I know about the bumper problem, how about manual vs automatic ? and single exhaust vs true duals, body mounts etc ? You get the picture. What should I look for , year wise, in a replacement used frame ? Thanks, Bob C
Old 01-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi c,
The frames from 68-73 will work fine.
4-Speed cars have the transmission crossmember that's welded in place, while automatic cars have a removable crossmember.
4-Speed cars will have a small bracket welded to the forward left side frame rail for the clutch z-bar to mount to, automatic frames won't have it.
On all these frames the center transmission cross member was set up for dual exhausts.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

PS: … if the frame is so rusted it needs to be replaced what condition is the body 'birdcage', (steel structure) in?

71 Frame

Z-Bar bracket.

Frame rear… note 2 diagonal braces at kick-ups. 68 frames don't have them but they can be added.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-21-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:34 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

As Alan said check the birdcage. If the frame is real bad it could have rust in the birdcage. Not always the case but check before you buy. I bought a 69 convertible years ago that had a frame so bad that it broke in half when the body was unbolted and lifted , but the birdcage was perfect . It did need rocker panel supports though. The car only had 63k. miles but sat in a garage for over 20 years with water leaking through the walls and the water laid under the car causing frame rot .
Old 01-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by claf
...Can someone give me a SIMPLE tutorial on the MAJOR differences in C3 frames?...
http://www.71corvette.com/frames.html
Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 AM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks all for your knowledge, however the '71 project is OFF. When pulling the car out of storage from the rear the only thing that moved was the portion of frame from the kick-ups back.

When that part of the frame came out it brought most of the glass with it. Never did check out the birdcage but after seeing what was really under the car I can only assume the worst.

The move destroyed whatever was originally worth saving. Ripped up all the rear suspension, E brake mech, exhaust etc. Car now is basically junk.

Was / is a numbers matching car but bare basic low horsepower no frills conv. Maybe next time. Bob C
Old 01-22-2016, 08:55 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks all for your knowledge, however the '71 project is OFF. When pulling the car out of storage from the rear the only thing that moved was the portion of frame from the kick-ups back.

When that part of the frame came out it brought most of the glass with it. Never did check out the birdcage but after seeing what was really under the car I can only assume the worst.

The move destroyed whatever was originally worth saving. Ripped up all the rear suspension, E brake mech, exhaust etc. Car now is basically junk.

Was / is a numbers matching car but bare basic low horsepower no frills conv. Maybe next time. Bob C
You didnt miss out on anything. It sounds like this car was a total loss. Splitting in two right before your eyes just saved you 5 years of work and 50K in resto bills.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:17 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Thanks for the update......new members need to be aware that some cars need to be closely examined before a purchase/full-price purchase is made.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have seen them break at the kickups as well and sad to hear another frame, and maybe whole car, lost to rust. I'm working on one of those now. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:46 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I beg to differ, don't think of this as a disaster but rather an opportunity. Look into an aftermarket frame with late model running gear and LS motor/Tremec trans. As others have mentioned, you'll have 50K in a 25K car doing your original plan (and you'll have a car that still runs and drives like a 50 year old car when you're done). That same 50k will get you one of the sexiest body styles that runs and drives like a new car. Which would you prefer?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:25 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by parkerracing
I beg to differ, don't think of this as a disaster but rather an opportunity. Look into an aftermarket frame with late model running gear and LS motor/Tremec trans. As others have mentioned, you'll have 50K in a 25K car doing your original plan (and you'll have a car that still runs and drives like a 50 year old car when you're done). That same 50k will get you one of the sexiest body styles that runs and drives like a new car. Which would you prefer?
Yes, when I doubt you can still go the Restorod route!

Get notified of new replies

To Frame differences

Quick Reply: Frame differences