Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a unusual barn find

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:41 PM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

For the odors in the seats, try taking the covers off and put them in a plastic bag with some charcoal briquettes (not the self lighting kind), tie it closed for a few days or a week. I've used charcoal to get the smell of rotting meat out of a freezer (Power was off about a week or two, rotted meat odor was pretty bad). You may just need to replace the foam in the seats as you probably won't be able to get the odor out of the foam as it's open cell and just acts like a sponge.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:58 PM
shok
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I looked into using one for rodent smell, apparently you have to be careful because prolonged usage will make the plastic brittle
Old 07-16-2017, 09:26 PM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Unfortunately, when it comes to really bad odors on something as simple as stock seats, might be better off just replacing the foam and covers. I know you're not trying to restore the car but some things might not be worth the effort to clean over and over, especially since they appear to be out of the car. If you happen to overcome the smell by other means then good deal! If not, the seats are really quite simple to re-foam and re-cover. I'm sure you'll let us know how things go.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 PM
mhobtr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ozone generator will take care of that. That is the way car dealers get smoke stink out of trade-ins.

Don't run it for more than an hour.

I run mine with the car running and the vent fan on high. Roll up the windows and let the ozone do the rest. This will kill all the smell in the seats, in the vents, carpet. under the dash, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Pvirg (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 03:47 PM
PG C6
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

subscribed unbelievable story
Peter
Old 07-20-2017, 09:49 PM
Pvirg
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Winner
Default Update

Motor is apart, expert is amazed. "State of the art" He is having a great time finding all the tricks from the day. Actually says it was way ahead of its time. One of the things my friend said he helped GM develop was D port heads. Has them. Builder says the cost to build this motor would have been astronomical! Special thanks to GM and Diamond! More details later.

Also update on the smell. The coffee seems to be working! Well that and hours of scrubbing. Now smells like my Grandmas kitchen in the morning.

I can't believe I didn't get a pic of the D port, sorry I will next time.
Attached Images    
The following 3 users liked this post by Pvirg:
Metalhead140 (07-20-2017), Pegan2261 (08-31-2022), statik (07-25-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:19 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Nice!! Casting number on the heads or did they "conveniently" miss that? I see they used studs on the hidden head bolts too.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:04 AM
Chris731
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

todays my birthday and I just read all 31 pages and had to make an account just to say this is like the best story ever I hope to continue to see updates until I can meet her in person. shes a beauty
Old 08-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Rick Austin
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Keep the updates coming!

Love hearing stories like this. Hopefully you are able to restore this piece of history, but if not, I'm sure the Corvette Museum wouldn't mind being included somehow so it can be shared with the world!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Pvirg
Racer

2018 C3 of Year Winner
Default Update

Heads are about done. Builder was amazed at the work put into them. Making them D port (which was one of my friends projects with GM) look and look at the size of the valves. It is coming along very nicely.

Shout out to metalhead, he always seems to dig the motor stuff! Thanks Dude
Attached Images   
The following 3 users liked this post by Pvirg:
Metalhead140 (08-10-2017), Pegan2261 (08-31-2022), statik (08-15-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I do, I love this whole old race car, very cool! Keep posting....
Old 08-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Staylor63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Pvirg
Also found a couple more time slips under the seat
Looks like you may have found a ring too!
Old 08-11-2017, 07:51 PM
Pvirg
Racer

2018 C3 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by Staylor63
Looks like you may have found a ring too!
I did find a 1942 nickel! No ring.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:18 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Pvirg
Motor is apart, expert is amazed. "State of the art" He is having a great time finding all the tricks from the day. Actually says it was way ahead of its time. One of the things my friend said he helped GM develop was D port heads. Has them. Builder says the cost to build this motor would have been astronomical! Special thanks to GM and Diamond! More details later.

Also update on the smell. The coffee seems to be working! Well that and hours of scrubbing. Now smells like my Grandmas kitchen in the morning.

I can't believe I didn't get a pic of the D port, sorry I will next time.
That is an old Crower "Imperial' Rollerized camshaft.... which uses a special roller bearing that you inserted into the stock cam bearing bores of the block.

FYI those roller bearings are a real PITA to get installed straight in the block.... if one gets broken or damaged..... there are no more, so if he hasn't removed them from the block I would advise to leave them alone.

Crower came out with that set up back in the mid 1960s and continued production until the mid 1970's..... It took a while to realized that reducing the cam journal OD, so they could fit the roller bearing in the stock size cam bearing housing of the block, was a bad idea for rigidity of the camshaft and that roller bearings actually have more associated friction than a properly working sliding bearing.

This same concept made the rounds again in racing engines during the late 1990's thru mid 2000's but sliding bearings have once again proven to be superior in all but a few cases.
Will

Last edited by rklessdriver; 08-11-2017 at 08:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rklessdriver:
Pegan2261 (08-31-2022), Pvirg (08-12-2017), Syl1953 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 PM
badapplegolf
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Prvig: Just a thought for you to consider. The drag racing community is a very tight niche group, especially in the Ohio Valley area. Sure, they'll fight like heck at the track, and some may be mortal enemies, but, it's kinda hard to explain, but there's a bond between them all. If one racer needs help, there's probably ten competitors right beside him offering whatever they can. I'd be willing to bet my finished 77 title (a long way off still) that if you reached out to the old guys he raced with, you would be blown away by the support they would give. And PLEASE, if you do, take into consideration the fact that most of these guys were just farmers, or auto mechanics, or pipefitters by trade. They worked their *** off during the day, just to survive and feed the family, and hopefully have enough left over to replace the bearing going out on the drag car. These guys were the real deal, and their time has passed, but I bet a lot of them would love the chance to get back involved however they could. There's a ton of stories, and precedent out there for the taking. I say all this because as soon as I saw the pic of the general doing the wheelie stand, I knew I had seen this car before. I'm pretty sure I watched the general run at Windy Hollow, although I would have been young and dumb at the time. So I looked into Doyle's race career. Without digging very deep, found that he ran with all the same names I grew up hearing about. Most of my best friends dads were drag racers, and all us kids liked to hang out in the garage with them prepping their cars. ( It was pretty easy to sneak a few beers from them after about 10 pm) It never failed that another racer would show up, looking for parts. Always the same response, " I have this, this, and this. If this wont work for ya, go see so and so, they prolly have it"

Although Doyle was sponsored by GM sorta, I'm sure he was still a part of this rag tag group of hard core racers who, I can promise you, are some of the best people you could ever meet.

edit: After posting this I went to work cleaning parts for the vette, as I'm grinding away it occurs to me that this was the same group of people that popularized the LOVE/HATE tattoo. Love was tattooed on the knuckles of the right hand, and Hate was on the left. The saying was,,, If the right one don't getcha,,,,, then the left one will. I was once knocked clean out of a chair by a guy who I would still trust with my life if need be. Life's funny ain't it.

Last edited by badapplegolf; 08-13-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Pvirg (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 11:23 PM
Pvirg
Racer

2018 C3 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by badapplegolf
Prvig: Just a thought for you to consider. The drag racing community is a very tight niche group, especially in the Ohio Valley area. Sure, they'll fight like heck at the track, and some may be mortal enemies, but, it's kinda hard to explain, but there's a bond between them all. If one racer needs help, there's probably ten competitors right beside him offering whatever they can. I'd be willing to bet my finished 77 title (a long way off still) that if you reached out to the old guys he raced with, you would be blown away by the support they would give. And PLEASE, if you do, take into consideration the fact that most of these guys were just farmers, or auto mechanics, or pipefitters by trade. They worked their *** off during the day, just to survive and feed the family, and hopefully have enough left over to replace the bearing going out on the drag car. These guys were the real deal, and their time has passed, but I bet a lot of them would love the chance to get back involved however they could. There's a ton of stories, and precedent out there for the taking. I say all this because as soon as I saw the pic of the general doing the wheelie stand, I knew I had seen this car before. I'm pretty sure I watched the general run at Windy Hollow, although I would have been young and dumb at the time. So I looked into Doyle's race career. Without digging very deep, found that he ran with all the same names I grew up hearing about. Most of my best friends dads were drag racers, and all us kids liked to hang out in the garage with them prepping their cars. ( It was pretty easy to sneak a few beers from them after about 10 pm) It never failed that another racer would show up, looking for parts. Always the same response, " I have this, this, and this. If this wont work for ya, go see so and so, they prolly have it"

Although Doyle was sponsored by GM sorta, I'm sure he was still a part of this rag tag group of hard core racers who, I can promise you, are some of the best people you could ever meet.

edit: After posting this I went to work cleaning parts for the vette, as I'm grinding away it occurs to me that this was the same group of people that popularized the LOVE/HATE tattoo. Love was tattooed on the knuckles of the right hand, and Hate was on the left. The saying was,,, If the right one don't getcha,,,,, then the left one will. I was once knocked clean out of a chair by a guy who I would still trust with my life if need be. Life's funny ain't it.
Thank you! You are correct and I have attempted to contact several people without a lot of luck. I would love to hear any history on Doyle or the general. I've had several contact me saying the saw the car many times and remember it winning this race or that race... but I'll need to dig for proof. I know he had a bunch of trophys but had given a bunch away to kids. I think if I get it out and running it will bring more people with stories. Let's face it most of the guys that race against it are of the age that the internet is a bad word!

So, anyone who has a friend who raced 60's-70's please print a picture and show them. See if they recall the car. I know it was as far as California, Indy, Ohio, Kentucky...

Thank you very much for posting. It's exciting for me when someone has seen the car running.

I came to the Corvette forum looking for help like this. Please forgive me for not saying THANK YOU everyone enough.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Pvirg
Racer

2018 C3 of Year Winner
Default Magneto or MSD?

Decision time, while I'm trying to keep the car original (as it was raced)
The builder has a great point. It will be very tough to start, and will not want to be driven at low rpm as the magneto will want rpms to generate spark. A new msd box and distributor will fix all that BUT it's not original. I want to be able to move the car and drive it on show/cruse grounds....
If I do go the msd route I will keep the magneto and it can be put back on.

I'm asking for thoughts on this.

Thank you!
Attached Images  
Pegan2261 (08-31-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Help with a unusual barn find

Old 08-19-2017, 12:29 AM
Duntov
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Something that had drivability would be good. Could go with some sort of unit from that time period, think that Crane, Mallory, and others had higher energy spark boxes that may be period correct.

Are you planning on making any hits on the strip with it? If not you could tone down the cam and compression and have a little better manners. Not saying it will be a cruiser, but something that won't need a loan to fill up.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:51 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Although some of today's electronic ignitions are superior to an old school magneto, I can understand your desire to keep the car "period correct". I was involved with an oval track car, back in the 80s, and we ran with a magneto, on a small block Chevy engine. The car, naturally, wasn't at high RPM all the time, such as driving in the pits, etc, and we didn't have any real issues.

Maybe you might want to have your "mag" looked over, before using it.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Make it driveable and keep the original mag.

Quick Reply: Help with a unusual barn find