Sponsored by:

Flag emblem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Flag emblem

Im sure many of you are aware, the original Corvette emblem features a US flag instead of the Fleur-De-lis. Has anyone seen a GOOD picture/poster or flag with this on it? And one step further, has anyone ever seen a reproduction emblem with it? I have seen it done with the C6 emblem, but not one in the original style or a C3 style.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...storyoverview/
Old 05-01-2016, 11:54 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

A quick Google search turned up this image
Name:  unf7pMC.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  60.1 KB

I think a set of early c3 flags would look amazing with an American flag.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:55 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

It is illegal to use the American Flag
Old 05-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Please explain how or why it is illegal, not questioning, just would like to expand my knowledge. Mark
Old 05-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by chazde3
A quick Google search turned up this image

I think a set of early c3 flags would look amazing with an American flag.
Yup that's the one...would look cool.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
It is illegal to use the American Flag
I disagree...

...I'm as patriotic as the next guy and a serving 13 year veteran of the USAF. I don't see anything in the code that directly prohibits me from using out in this manner and i DO see many sections that are blatantly violated regularly, such as the embroidered pillows etc.

Enforcement of code is in conflict with free speech and so long as the flag is being displayed respectfully...as a veteran, i do not have an issue with individuals wearing flag shirts, pillows, or displaying them on the most patriotic car America has ever made.

Last edited by Vette-kid; 05-01-2016 at 02:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shenango (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 02:34 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vette-kid
I disagree...

...I'm as patriotic as the next guy and a serving 13 year veteran of the USAF. I don't see anything in the code that directly prohibits me from using out in this manner and i DO see many sections that are blatantly violated regularly, such as the embroidered pillows etc.

Enforcement of code is in conflict with free speech and so long as the flag is being displayed respectfully...as a veteran, i do not have an issue with individuals wearing flag shirts, pillows, or displaying them on the most patriotic car America has ever made.
JUST Because you don't like a law, and people frequently violate it, does not make it void..I did not write the law, no agree with it, But GM surely reversed course on the emblem when their lawyers said it was illegal.. Look it up.. Its common knowledge to everyone in the Corvette world
Old 05-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fishslayer143

JUST Because you don't like a law, and people frequently violate it, does not make it void..I did not write the law, no agree with it, But GM surely reversed course on the emblem when their lawyers said it was illegal.. Look it up.. Its common knowledge to everyone in the Corvette world
Yes...i know that I'd what GM did. I Still do Not see anything making it illegal.

Original question stands...anyone seen one?
Old 05-01-2016, 02:39 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

According to Corvette Museum....The original Corvette logo (Figure 1) was designed by Robert Bartholomew, an interior designer at Chevrolet in 1953. This emblem was destined to appear on the 1953 Corvette prototype which was introduced to the public for the first time at New York’s Waldorf-Astoria hotel in January of 1953. It had crossing staffs with the checkered flag on the right hand side, and the American flag on the left hand side. However, four days before the Corvette was to go on display at the show, Chevrolet management decided that it should be redesigned. The problem with the proposed emblem was that it included the American flag which is illegal to use on a commerical product. Right before the show, redesigned emblems were attached to the front hood and steering wheel of the Corvette. The new emblem contained the checkered flag on the right side as well as the white racing flag, red Chevrolet bow-tie symbol and a fleur-de-lis (Figure 2).
Old 05-01-2016, 02:41 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

http://capitolcitycorvetteclub.files.../1stemblem.gif
Old 05-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Fishslayer,

Thank you for the link. I have heard the story before. However, reading current code, i see nothing that prohibits such action. Were i a corporation i may stay away from it do to the appearance of commercialization of the flag. I am not a corporation and am not interested inn this for commercial our advertising purposes. I am an individual with a custom car. I do not believe this to be in any way in violation of current code (no idea if the code has changed since 1953).

Beyond the actual emblem, had anyone at least seen a poster of this?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:09 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vette-kid
Fishslayer,

Thank you for the link. I have heard the story before. However, reading current code, i see nothing that prohibits such action. Were i a corporation i may stay away from it do to the appearance of commercialization of the flag. I am not a corporation and am not interested inn this for commercial our advertising purposes. I am an individual with a custom car. I do not believe this to be in any way in violation of current code (no idea if the code has changed since 1953).

Beyond the actual emblem, had anyone at least seen a poster of this?
I seriously doubt the govt would ever bother an individual for using it, but I m sure GM did not want to risk the Feds looking for a big payoff in fines. I think its a sign of patriotism myself to use it .. But I didn t write the law.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:40 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Cool thread thought provoking,

I read that link and under codes is this
"The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose." which would make one believe that it IS against the code in that had GM used it they would have broken a federal law.

However, that same link states with this information:

"The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the national flag of the United States of America. It is Chapter 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq). This is a U.S. federal law, but the penalty described in Federal Law 18 USC Section 700[1] for failure to comply with it is not enforced. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in United States v. Eichman that prohibiting desecration of the U.S. flag conflicts with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech and is therefore unconstitutional"

So had GM used it we all know some radical with too much time would have raised a stink and in the end likely made GM look bad to some even if GM didn't get into any legal trouble over it the way it's written it is illegal.

With that said, I dig the flag GM used better not in some anti American flag way but in a logo for a car company way....their "bowtie" ( with it's mystique ) and the fleur-de-lis just to me look good on there,

Had GM used the American flag then in all rights any American car company should have been allowed it was not their "right" to use it or use it solely even if they were first to do so, the American flag represents so much more than a car to many people for it to be reduced to a logo on a car ( no matter how much we love the car to me isn't right )

Now with that said,
I love custom emblems I love it when people run the old original fuel injection script on new built restro rods with modern FI, for some reason I do not like modern later modern fonts on older cars, ruins that classic vide to me,

But I could see someone design a cool American flag with the racing flag custom logo for THEIR corvette and it really look sharp, set the car apart from the flock and if the builder respects the American flag I do not see it used by a person not a corporation doing our flag an injustice, and NO, I doubt the agency that would enforce the law would mess with it. they never bothered racers who painted their whole cars like flags...likely it's under that "free speech" thing,
Most people see the emblem or a car like this they believe the owner loves the flag and America

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-01-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

From that description of the statute, it would be illegal for the OP to put the American flag in that logo and then SELL it. Since the car will not be 'marketed', it shouldn't be in conflict with that statute. It would be illegal for GM to do so and then sell cars like it; but not illegal for an individual to alter the logo as the OP wants to do.

I like it. I think the people who see the car will like it. If someone takes issue, THEN worry about it.
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Every politician wears an American flag pin on their lapel, I wonder if they buy them., Mark

Last edited by Syl1953; 05-02-2016 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
From that description of the statute, it would be illegal for the OP to put the American flag in that logo and then SELL it. Since the car will not be 'marketed', it shouldn't be in conflict with that statute. It would be illegal for GM to do so and then sell cars like it; but not illegal for an individual to alter the logo as the OP wants to do.

I like it. I think the people who see the car will like it. If someone takes issue, THEN worry about it.
I think it is more grey than that. It is an emblem...not an advertisement. But i agree that especially once out is an individual's custom car...there is nothing illegal about it. If i could find a way to do it i absolutely will.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:22 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

think about it like this, once in the eyes and minds of people had gm used that is would have become an adverting icon, it would have appeared that the very USA was General motors and vice versa, this is a make of cars logo very different than a flag on the antenna or bumper sticker or lapel pin that a person adds in support of our country the flag being the symbol of that country and support.
I am trying to think up someway that an American flag makes me think of a product and I cant at the moment. ( but there must be somewhere )
I still believe you or someone should make a logo like the one shown in this thread,

Get notified of new replies

To Flag emblem

Old 05-01-2016, 09:59 PM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 77 Olds Calais had an emblem with the US flag along with the European flags.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1479

I've seen them for the c6 as well.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:59 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

And, if the flag doesn't have 13 stripes and/or 50 stars, it isn't a 'duplication' of the U.S. flag. An 'artist' has creativity license in that respect.

Quick Reply: Flag emblem