Sponsored by:

Indy Spoiler kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Indy Spoiler kit

I have a '79 C3 and would like to add the Indy spoiler kit to it. I see a bunch of parts advertised. Could someone tell me if the factory Indy front and back spoilers are molded into the front and back clips or were they bolted on in some fashion?

Thank you from a Newbie.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:24 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Philgran
I have a '79 C3 and would like to add the Indy spoiler kit to it. I see a bunch of parts advertised. Could someone tell me if the factory Indy front and back spoilers are molded into the front and back clips or were they bolted on in some fashion?

Thank you from a Newbie.
I assume you mean the 78 pace car front and rear spoilers, they are a bolt on item....
I have seen a few people go further on the rear, they get a fiberglass rear bumper and spoiler and glass the bumper seam in then glass the spoiler in, some turn out pretty sweet...

And a few daring people glass in the front, but kiss curb and it will ruin a lot of body work.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Thanks, I did mean the Indy pace car front and back spoilers. I'm not really up on the forum's jargon. I assume you are recommending a poly front spoiler as opposed to fiberglass since the poly is more flexible than the fiberglass or did you mean to say if I put on on a front spoiler and then fiberglass the seam, I'd be in big trouble if I hit a curb?

Thanks again for the info,
Old 05-23-2016, 10:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Lots of fun jargon here...lol,

People running the Daytona front bumper have to be careful, it's like a cowcatcher on a train, ecklers made the center section separate so it could be repaired when damaged.

If you glass in a front bumper / spoiler yes, you will have to be careful,
Look at a car like hales, his spoiler is glassed into flares, if he hits the spoiler just right it will likely take out the flares, ( crack ) but the look is well worth the extra caution.

I am big into mods and custom stuff, I normally go fiberglass but in this case would likely see if someone offers the front in poly, there is a thread on here where a cat beefs up his front pace car "indy" spoiler in case he hits a curb or speed bump,

But in reality if you hit either fiberglass or poly they will get some damage, but the great and cool look they give the 73-79 front end is worth it IMHO
The following users liked this post:
Philgran (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:35 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 718 Likes on 466 Posts

I have a '79 C3 and would like to add the Indy spoiler kit to it. I see a bunch of parts advertised. Could someone tell me if the factory Indy front and back spoilers are molded into the front and back clips or were they bolted on in some fashion?.
In 1978 and 1979, both front and back were bolt on. The front spoiler was a three-piece unit but aftermarket vendors market a single front spoiler as replacement. Unless you searched for an original three-piece spoiler, you may be limited to the one-piece.

I did quite a bit of research and am replacing the three-piece on my Pace Car while also rebuilding the front-end support by replacing the fender support brackets. I picked up an OEM (original equipment) three-piece spoiler.

Hope this helps!
Philgran (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 06:55 PM
Philgran
Advanced

One of the very kind folks who sent me a reply (The13Bats) suggested that I look at "hales car". I've searched on the Forum for "hales" with no luck. I'm new to forums but spent my entire business life in the computer industry and normally I can figure this stuff out pretty easily. Any hints? Thanks
Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-69-build.html

Sorry man,
His car shows a spoiler glassed into the flares and if he hit the spoiler it would likely crack the flares too....my 66 had a glassed in spoiler highly modded car, a body man busted my spoiler so had to fit it in my case a daily driver I had him make it removable rather than glassed back in....

unless you are going radical custom you really cant beat this look and it's bolt on...

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-24-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Thanks, beautiful car! My guy is pushing me to fiberglass. I'm seeing him tomorrow to have all the fluids replaced, brakes checked as well as all hoses. One of the guys mentioned strengthening his front end to compensate for the extra air pressure caused by the spoiler. Any ideas on that?

Thank you again, Phil
Old 05-24-2016, 08:56 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Thanks, beautiful car! My guy is pushing me to fiberglass. I'm seeing him tomorrow to have all the fluids replaced, brakes checked as well as all hoses. One of the guys mentioned strengthening his front end to compensate for the extra air pressure caused by the spoiler. Any ideas on that?

Thank you again, Phil
That was a google find for the pace car I posted but there is a thread on here where a fellow just sold his rather stunning pace car, basically a 38 yo brand new car.

If a racer chimes in and says I'm nutz I will recant but if bolted on well and the car is driven at legal street speeds I believe it will be fine with out extra reinforcements,

In this case fiberglass will be a bit more ridged and like I said hit either poly or glass it will damage either...lol, I build cheap, I would look around for the best price on one....
Old 05-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Not the best pictures but it should give you an idea of what they'll look like on a S/A car.
Both bolted on. The fit of my cars rear spoiler is so-so. If I was doing it again I'd do something different, fiberglass the seam or see if the aftermarket has a 78 and up rear end with a integrated spoiler.

Jared Lipson (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Thanks again guys, I know I want to add the spoilers, but I'm conflicted on which path to take. The idea of a 3" road clearance for a guy who lives in the country is a big concern. We have crappy roads (note to Massachusetts Pols, how about sending some of our tax dollars out west rather than wasting money on the Big Dig and keeping a ton of hacks on the Turpike payroll). Maybe I ought to try living in the real world. I'll figure it out and look forward to more input from this forum.
Norcoastal (07-30-2017)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just do it, had c4s with lips that sat even lower never broke one on a road just watch the parking stops. The look cant be beat classic stuff
Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Got to save up a few bucks first! Thanks for all your help
Old 05-25-2016, 12:46 AM
hpxt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

My guy is pushing me to fiberglass.
I'm happy with the fiberglass; installation was easy. I also ordered the rear spoiler, but did not like the look so went with a 80 style rear bumper.

Mike
Old 05-25-2016, 06:43 AM
Philgran
Advanced

Mike, Thank you very much for your input. That is one beautiful car!!! In the picture it literally jumps off the screen at you. If it's OK within Forum rules, could you please tell me here you bought the front spoiler? Is it a three-piece? Also, I too am a little iffy about the rear spoiler. It looks like it was tacked on as an afterthought by Chevy. Could you share a picture of your rear spoiler and also, if it's OK, where you purchased it?

Thanks again.

Phil
Old 05-25-2016, 03:35 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Mike, Thank you very much for your input. That is one beautiful car!!! In the picture it literally jumps off the screen at you. If it's OK within Forum rules, could you please tell me here you bought the front spoiler? Is it a three-piece? Also, I too am a little iffy about the rear spoiler. It looks like it was tacked on as an afterthought by Chevy. Could you share a picture of your rear spoiler and also, if it's OK, where you purchased it?

Thanks again.

Phil
forum rules just do not allow non supporting vendors spamming and high jacking every thread like this that gets posted.

Not trying to step on toes but you can get the 'glass front spoiler and 80 rear bumper from Ecklers, or likely any of the supporting vendors who sell the fiberglass body parts.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:55 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a urethane on mine,think it looks great,ads something to the frontend
Did a reinforcement under it also, here is a thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...some-mods.html

Last edited by stingraymaniac; 05-25-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Indy Spoiler kit

Old 05-26-2016, 12:24 AM
hpxt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Is it a three-piece? Also, I too am a little iffy about the rear spoiler. It looks like it was tacked on as an afterthought by Chevy. Could you share a picture of your rear spoiler and also, if it's OK, where you purchased it?
Phil,
Thanks, the front spoiler is a 3 piece, I purchased both from Zip (a forum vendor). Although lately when I've asked delivery questions did not get a reply. Could be because I live in Hawaii?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-weekend.html

Here are the pics, sorry for the quality. Its from my cell phone.

Mike
Old 10-29-2017, 10:15 PM
SpeedRacerMach
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
In 1978 and 1979, both front and back were bolt on. The front spoiler was a three-piece unit but aftermarket vendors market a single front spoiler as replacement. Unless you searched for an original three-piece spoiler, you may be limited to the one-piece.

I did quite a bit of research and am replacing the three-piece on my Pace Car while also rebuilding the front-end support by replacing the fender support brackets. I picked up an OEM (original equipment) three-piece spoiler.

Hope this helps!
Hey hunt4cleanair
Hope you're still around or checking this thread. I am installing a set of OEM pace car spoilers or D80 option for 1979 on my 1979. I've been able to find good instructions for the installation of the rear spoiler, measurements and guides (size of holes) but the front instructions are very lacking. They don't really tell you where to drill the holes to mount the OEM side deflectors. Was wondering if you had taken your OEM off if you had pictures or measurements that would help me mount my front deflectors. Thanks!!
Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 AM
Philgran
Advanced

I'm still here! I'm holding on the spoilers because I scraped my stock spoiler a couple times. I live on a dirt road in the country with steep driveways and "silent policemen" in winter. I did some research on the OEM spoiler kit and all I found were three-piece poly kits. Sorry I can't be more help. Why not, at you next car show, find a car with the front spoiler and make a few measurements? Bring a soft tape measure so no scratches. Good luck!

Phil

Quick Reply: Indy Spoiler kit