Sponsored by:

Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Smoke

Just got my car home. After driving it for a while, I have a lot smoke coming from the exhaust. It is not billowing smoke, but it smokes. It is definitely burning oil. I am thinking rings. I did not see this before I bought it. What else could it be?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi GJ,
Sorry to read this!
Smoke, burning oil, can also be caused by the valve seals.
Regards,
Alan
The following users liked this post:
GlenJack (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:33 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenJack
Just got my car home. After driving it for a while, I have a lot smoke coming from the exhaust. It is not billowing smoke, but it smokes. It is definitely burning oil. I am thinking rings. I did not see this before I bought it. What else could it be?
There are additives on the market that can hide oil burning . It's possible that the seller used it to sell the car. How far did you drive it home ? If it was a long distance , it might have just came back. Time will tell but it is probably going to need a rebuild or as Allan said , it might just be valve seals but valve seals usually throw smoke after startup or while going down a hill with your foot off of the accelerator . Another thing that was pretty common with the older chevy engines was that the fuel pumps would develop an internal leak and gasoline would flow down into the crankcase causing severe smoking as the fuel begins to burn with the oil . Pull the dipstick and smell the oil for gasoline . If it smells like gasoline do not run the engine until the problem is corrected and the oil is flushed or it will wash the cylinders and destroy the engine. Hope it works out for you.
GlenJack (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by bj1k
There are additives on the market that can hide oil burning . It's possible that the seller used it to sell the car. How far did you drive it home ? If it was a long distance , it might have just came back. Time will tell but it is probably going to need a rebuild or as Allan said , it might just be valve seals but valve seals usually throw smoke after startup or while going down a hill with your foot off of the accelerator . Another thing that was pretty common with the older chevy engines was that the fuel pumps would develop an internal leak and gasoline would flow down into the crankcase causing severe smoking as the fuel begins to burn with the oil . Pull the dipstick and smell the oil for gasoline . If it smells like gasoline do not run the engine until the problem is corrected and the oil is flushed or it will wash the cylinders and destroy the engine. Hope it works out for you.
Wow, okay. Will check that out.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi GJ,
Sorry to read this!
Smoke, burning oil, can also be caused by the valve seals.
Regards,
Alan
I figured I would be rebuilding the engine after a couple of years. I think my timetable may be moved up.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:19 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I figured I would be rebuilding the engine after a couple of years. I think my timetable may be moved up.
Just be prepared for the very common syndrome of "While You're There"!

With the engine out, it's the perfect time to clean up the engine compartment. And while you're there, the front suspension is a lot easier to get to. And while you're there, the power steering, if it needs a rebuild, is another task that is made easier, sans engine.

Good luck with the engine and keep us posted.
GlenJack (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 10:40 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

OK, here is one thought of a possible other cause. Also, I think I am grasping at straws here. When I got the car, it was about out of gas. I drove it to the gas station, and it literally ran out as I got there. I filled it with gas. And it was the next day that I noticed the smoke. Bluish smoke. could it be something from a dirty gas tank? Sorry, I may be showing my ignorance here. But that's why I'm asking the expert!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:54 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

OK, here is one thought of a possible other cause. Also, I think I am grasping at straws here. When I got the car, it was about out of gas. I drove it to the gas station, and it literally ran out as I got there. I filled it with gas. And it was the next day that I noticed the smoke. Bluish smoke. could it be something from a dirty gas tank? Sorry, I may be showing my ignorance here. But that's why I'm asking the expert!
What does the smoke smell like? Get behind the car, while it's running and if needs to be revved to get the smoke, have someone give it some gas. Put your hand right behind the exhaust pipe and smell it. Does it smell like fuel, or does it smell like burnt oil?
GlenJack (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 11:35 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by F22
Just be prepared for the very common syndrome of "While You're There"!

With the engine out, it's the perfect time to clean up the engine compartment. And while you're there, the front suspension is a lot easier to get to. And while you're there, the power steering, if it needs a rebuild, is another task that is made easier, sans engine.

Good luck with the engine and keep us posted.
Yeah, "while you're there". I imagine the possibilities are endless.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

I'll check on these things. I have a pretty good mechanic, so I guess I'll get his opinion.Thanks.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:40 PM
GlenJack
Instructor

Good news! I do not know why I had that smoke, but it is gone. It had me a bit worried, for sure. I can only think that when i ran it out of gas, that some crap from the bottom of the gas tank got in the carb or engine or something. Also, I have a carb gasket that needs replacing and the carb adjusted.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Change the fuel filter while you're adjusting on the carb....

Brian
GlenJack (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:14 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Check the cylinder compression before dissembling anything. I replace my valve stem seals to stop my engine from smoking....they were very hard and brittle/not really doing a good sealing job.
GlenJack (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 01:39 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Could be if the car was setting for a long period of time or was only driven short distances for a long period of time it may some accumulated oil settled in the exhaust. You may still need an engine rebuild, but it may be as bad as you dread.
GlenJack (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wee
Change the fuel filter while you're adjusting on the carb....

Brian
I just got one Friday, and will be doing that today. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Check the cylinder compression before dissembling anything. I replace my valve stem seals to stop my engine from smoking....they were very hard and brittle/not really doing a good sealing job.
I had not thought of that.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:05 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Could be if the car was setting for a long period of time or was only driven short distances for a long period of time it may some accumulated oil settled in the exhaust. You may still need an engine rebuild, but it may be as bad as you dread.
I will definitely be checking out all options. Thanks for the comment.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:15 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Do a wet and dry compression test, inspect/smell (oil soaked, smell of fuel) the plugs while they are removed.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:55 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

some general notes for you:

usually blue smoke is oil, white is antifreeze, black or grey is rich fuel. (but not always)

blue smoking regularly is rings, only when you punch it is valve seals...if it only does it on start up it is usually valve seals as well, just not fully worn out yet as oil seeps past overnight and they are cold...

can also suck oil from intake gaskets when cold or hot or both.

you may also want to check you PCV system and PCV valve as that can suck oil into the intake and burn it as well...

there are always exceptions to the rule but it will point you in the right direction.

Get notified of new replies

To Smoke

Quick Reply: Smoke