Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank leak

Old 10-20-2016, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by revitup
My '77 had a bladder. Replacement tanks still have the vent fitting meant to vent the bladder even though they don't have one. At least the one I installed did.
..but if you connect the hose from the sending unit to the 'T' fitting as like it was originally...and then to your vapor line. If I am not mistaken...it should NOT be done that way because now raw fuel when sloshed can be sucked into the 'T' fitting and into your vapor line which is NOT a good thing.

I believe the 'T' fitting is by-passed and a plug installed instead when there is NO bladder. Just run the hose from the vapor line to the sending unit vapor line port.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
revitup (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 10:50 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
..but if you connect the hose from the sending unit to the 'T' fitting as like it was originally...and then to your vapor line. If I am not mistaken...it should NOT be done that way because now raw fuel when sloshed can be sucked into the 'T' fitting and into your vapor line which is NOT a good thing.

I believe the 'T' fitting is by-passed and a plug installed instead when there is NO bladder. Just run the hose from the vapor line to the sending unit vapor line port.

DUB
That is very interesting. Coincidentally, but maybe not, I'm in the process of removing the new tank I just installed a year and a half ago to investigate a plugged vent line. I hooked the vent line up to both vent fittings, same as the original was.
It doesn't seem to be plugged at the canister, I replaced the canister but can't push pressure through the line to the tank from that end and it pulls a solid vacuum. I can't believe that both those vent fittings at the tank could be clogged but then I theorized that maybe the bladder fitting was just for show and wasn't open to the tank. Guess I'll find out. Hope there isn't somehow a blockage midway through the steel line somewhere.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

I have replaced so many vapor lines due to being plugged ....it would make your head spin. I have seen the line actually split right about the center of the door or slight back from the center of the door.

DUB
Old 10-21-2016, 06:30 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I have replaced so many vapor lines due to being plugged ....it would make your head spin. I have seen the line actually split right about the center of the door or slight back from the center of the door.

DUB
Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but following up on my plugged vapor line issue, maybe someone can learn from my mistake. Dropped the tank today to see if I could figure out why it was plugged. Quickly spotted the issue. When I replaced the tank last year I stupidly ran the vent line under the tank strap instead of over it. It got pinched off when I tightened the strap down. Took the opportunity to replace the rubber section of the line and eliminate the Y-connection to the unnecessary bladder vent. Just happy I guess that the resolution was that easy to spot and resolve, though I do feel a bit dumb.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by revitup
Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but following up on my plugged vapor line issue, maybe someone can learn from my mistake. Dropped the tank today to see if I could figure out why it was plugged. Quickly spotted the issue. When I replaced the tank last year I stupidly ran the vent line under the tank strap instead of over it. It got pinched off when I tightened the strap down. Took the opportunity to replace the rubber section of the line and eliminate the Y-connection to the unnecessary bladder vent. Just happy I guess that the resolution was that easy to spot and resolve, though I do feel a bit dumb.
It happens to the best of us.

Glad you found the problem.

DUB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel tank leak