Sponsored by:

Stubborn pilot bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I quit buying the original bronze type bushings altogether and now use the needle bearings . There are too many cheap bronze bushings out there like the ones sold at Advance . The tolerances are off on the inside diameter on some and are too tight on the pilot shaft .
YES.......You must be careful when you get an oilite bronze bushing/bearing......BUT.... have you seen the damage that occurs when the needle bearings fail???? This has been discussed and photos posted here on the Corvette Forum.

I hate it when I have to install one of the needle bearing ones due to too many moving parts...versus a solid bushing/bearing.

THIS is what can happen to a needle bearing design.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-bushing.html

DUB
Old 11-10-2016, 08:40 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YES.......You must be careful when you get an oilite bronze bushing/bearing......BUT.... have you seen the damage that occurs when the needle bearings fail???? This has been discussed and photos posted here on the Corvette Forum.

I hate it when I have to install one of the needle bearing ones due to too many moving parts...versus a solid bushing/bearing.

THIS is what can happen to a needle bearing design.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-bushing.html

DUB
Any bearing that is improperly installed is destined to fail and I suspect that is the problem in most cases. Needle bearings have delicate casings and if hammered on the edges while installing will certainly fail in the future . Roller bearings have been used in the racing scene for many years with success.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Any bearing that is improperly installed is destined to fail and I suspect that is the problem in most cases. Needle bearings have delicate casings and if hammered on the edges while installing will certainly fail in the future . Roller bearings have been used in the racing scene for many years with success.
Then I guess what you wrote makes sense and 'puts this to bed'.

DUB
Old 11-12-2016, 02:59 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Bearing

Magnetic bearing on the left, beveled edges also help. Once the old one is removed and you make your choice the bearing on the right sat in the freezer over night and went right in the next day. Mentioned by the manufacturer. Good Luck, I used my dremmell to remove 50% and found that helped me in the removal.
RVZIO

Quick Reply: Stubborn pilot bearing