Sponsored by:

C3 Body Lift Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:44 PM
72Shark_VAL
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by East Bay 68
Thats what I did too. Used straps with hooks under the rockers. Having a couple of helpers made it easier but it worked fine.
So neither one of you guys had any clearance issues using the engine hoist method? Like I said earlier my hoist raises to 8ft so I would think that would be plenty high. I'd like to do it this way since I already have it & wouldn't have to build a structure to do it, but if I have to I will. Also, how did you get the lift straps between the rockers & chassis? Did you use a floor jack & slightly jack up one side to put the strap through & do the same on the other side or what?

Last edited by 72Shark_VAL; 01-17-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:51 PM
East Bay 68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My straps were from one of the Corvette suppliers that came with hooks on one end that grab the rockers so I didn't have to go under and accross the body. I had the fuel tank already out so I didn't have to lift the body as high. And I made a 2 x 4 square frame that sort of floated over the roof that I could wrap the straps around so I could take any slack out of them. I needed the straps to start lifting while the arm of the hoist was as low as possible or else I would hit the ceiling with the hoist before the body was clear of the frame.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:24 PM
72Shark_VAL
Instructor

Originally Posted by East Bay 68
My straps were from one of the Corvette suppliers that came with hooks on one end that grab the rockers so I didn't have to go under and accross the body. I had the fuel tank already out so I didn't have to lift the body as high. And I made a 2 x 4 square frame that sort of floated over the roof that I could wrap the straps around so I could take any slack out of them. I needed the straps to start lifting while the arm of the hoist was as low as possible or else I would hit the ceiling with the hoist before the body was clear of the frame.
These? Seems simple enough. I'll be giving it a shot soon.

Last edited by 72Shark_VAL; 01-17-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:37 PM
72Shark_VAL
Instructor

If that for some reason doesn't work I'll either build a metal gantry hoist or a wooden structure to get it done. I appreciate everyone's input

Last edited by 72Shark_VAL; 01-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi VAL,
You asked about the strap hooks…. they're designed so they can grasp the rocker channel even with the body still on the frame.
You don't need to begin to raise the body to get the hooks in place…. there's enough space.
Regards,
Alan

Even extending in this far there's still room to lower it on to the frame.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:11 PM
delfert76
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Val,
Taking the body off was pretty easy as I had cold beer and thirsty neighbors to help lift the body off of the frame and onto an old boat trailer. I used body dolly plans that I found on this forum and modified them to fit the trailer. Make sure and then double check that all connections and ground wires and brake cable are disconnected-that cable brake cable got hung up so I cut it

Since putting the body back on is a little more difficult and more precise, I made a wooden A frame and bought 2 cheap Harbor Freight chain fall thingys. I wanted to make sure the body came straight down and I didn't have any problems.
Good Luck with your project
Attached Images    
Old 01-17-2017, 05:45 PM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I just took the body off of its frame this past Saturday.

Assuming you have everything disconnected that needs to be, (wires, fuel lines, bumpers brackets, yada, yada, yada) also do this;

1. Remove the gas tank. Saves you about a foot of lift. Not as hard as removing the spare tire tub, but you will cuss a few times. Guaranteed.
2. If you have the room, pull the engine. Again, saves you from lifting too high.
3. Remove the radiator, but leave the radiator bracket.
4. I took out the seats and battery, to save weight.
5. Take the hood off, leave t-tops ON.

I used an engine hoist. Not the best, but it only cost $169.00. Put the engine crane perpendicular to the length of the car, at the drivers door. Fully extend the mast (to the 1000 pound mark, in my case).

Oh, a funny aside..

I bought a "Corvette Body Sling Kit" from a vendor who advertises here. The straps were 10 feet long. Using 8th grade geometry, you quickly see that 10 foot straps require you to have the pivot point of the sling about 15 feet above the ground ti get the body off. OK, that' ain't going to work in a garage...So I called the tech support person at this nameless vendor. He could not be found after listening to 20 minutes of their advertising. So I asked to speak to somenoe in sales, who hopefully could answer a question. After 10 more minutes of commercials, I finally got....yup. Voice Mail. Leave a message and I'll get right back to you. Well, it's been 4 days, and no reply.

So, I figured how to make the lifting straps shorter...Tie a 24" loop into each strap.

I then attached the 4 clips fro mthe rigging strap (body lift lik) to the Vette body, and because I'm a Lilly livered chicken, I put two 2,000 pound rated ratchet straps around the body, over the frame, and up to the pivot point on top. If my knots failed, the ratchet straps would hold the car up

OK, so we set about to pull the car UP using the engine hist, with the mast fully extended. LONG story short, it didn't get the body high enough. So, we took the wheels off the frame and put the frame on skates, and this did it. Slid the frame out from under the body (perpendicular to the engine crane.

That made it pretty easy. Of course, you either need a 2 car garage OR live somewhere you can do this outside on a hard surface.

Having 4 car skates made it pretty easy.

Positive result, body is on the Alan71 designed low rider body cart ( with 4" casters), all fingers and toes intact, no damage to the body or frame, or my son.

I will be swinging the body onto its new frame in a week or two, but I think I am going to build a wooden gantry to get it high enough to clear the engine and fuel tank.

By the way, I am selling the old frame from my 69 427-435- 4speed car. Look for my posting in the parts for sale forum.

Good luck, and don't get underneath anything.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Val,
It seems like having a 4 post lift would be a wonderful thing! I think it would be useful in a garage even with a 10' ceiling.
I've never considered a 4 post because I only have 7' ceiling in part of my garage so really don't know much about them. From what I've read $2000 seems a bit too low. I rarely find the cheapest version of something is the one I want.
There are people with various lifts here that can give you much better advice than I can!
Regards,
Alan

I'm very strange….. I'd like a 4 post on the rare occasion I want the car that high….. but the rest of the time I like the access that no posts give you. I'd have to have the car on stands on the lift because I like to have the wheels off the car at all times.

For me this is the 'current' answer.

Alan,

What you want/need then is one of these... And a taller ceiling! It's basically your arrangement on steroids. It sits flush as part of the floor when not in use, though I need to make up some floorplates to go in between - most people just cast the concrete so that it butts up around the outside of each ramp. Only downside is not having an extra parking location, but I'm not that keen on storing cars one on top of the other anyway.

Much less in the way than a normal 2 or 4 post in an average size garage.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 01-17-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 PM
racerx1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why can't a vendor make shorter lifting straps.....as it seems like most folks turn to making knots, wrapping the straps around a 4x4 or cutting the straps and incorporating the ratchet mechanism from standard tie down straps??? Not many DIY'ers have garages with 15'+ ceilings.

I'm a few weeks away from lifting the body off of my '74 coupe and over the last few months, I've researched the topic to the point of total information overload. In my case, I'm working with a 9'6" ceiling height. I was able to pick up a never assembled HF 1T ganrty crane for $450 from a guy that changed direction on a project. I have yet to figure out what method I'm going to use to shorten the straps, but I did remove the gas tank and I plan on removing the motor and trans next weekend. Once the motor and trans are out, I'll figure out how high I need to get the body to roll the frame out.....and I'll shorten the straps accordingly. This will be my first body lift, so I'm a little nervous.......needless to say, I'll be double and triple checking everything based on all the great information I've pulled together from my research here and from PM's I sent a few very helpful members.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default my 3 ways on my 1974

1st method to pull the body off in my 8 foot ceiling. Was a engine hoist. I had motor and gas tank still installed

2nd method to set the body on and off a few times during the welding of the rocker channels and inserts..was a strap around a 6x6 laid up in my attic

Last method I just use my two post lift to put the body on. I didnt originally use it cause the shop was being leased. I was kind of happy when the guys leasing it notified me they were buyingbtheir own shop. i saw the silver lining .

Had I not had the option to use my two post lift I would have used the 2nd method to put the body on the last time as I had more control over the movement.

Last edited by redcruz1120; 01-18-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

I am planning a 2 post lift into my garage expansion. At my age, it is looking like less of a luxury and more of a necessity.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:52 AM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts

Here's how I did mine:

Worked like a charm with only 7-3/4' ceiling clearance:

Harbor Freight 2-ton Chain Fall:

Helped to have big gluelam beams in the garage attic:

Quick Reply: C3 Body Lift Suggestions