Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some answers/help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:00 AM
mk's78
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking for some answers/help!!!!

To C3 Gurus...

I am looking for/trying to find any information on how to adjust the up/downward travel on my 78's windows????

I did look at the the AIM and it was/is not much help.....Is there a chance that I might have missed something in the AIM????

Any and all help, info etc would be most appreciated......
mk's78

Mike
Old 03-18-2017, 11:26 AM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

There's a stop near the top of each vertical track that limits how far up the window can go. There is no similar adjustment for the down position.

Power windows? If so do you perhaps hear a "clunk" sound when it goes down--fast--and it won't go up--slowly--all the way? If so the assist spring on the regulator is broken. If the spring is broken don't use the window much or the motor body casting near the gear will break and you'll have to get a new motor as well.
The following users liked this post:
mk's78 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 03:48 PM
mk's78
Racer

Default A little more info!!!!!

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
There's a stop near the top of each vertical track that limits how far up the window can go. There is no similar adjustment for the down position.

Power windows? If so do you perhaps hear a "clunk" sound when it goes down--fast--and it won't go up--slowly--all the way? If so the assist spring on the regulator is broken. If the spring is broken don't use the window much or the motor body casting near the gear will break and you'll have to get a new motor as well.
I was looking for something a bit more specific as in inner panel removal etc.....Any one have any step by step instructions with pix/drawings etc???

mk's78 Mike
Old 03-18-2017, 04:12 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The inner door panel in a '78 with power windows is very easy to remove. There is one screw at the top rear of the panel. There are two screws in the lower panel--the rearward one near the center of the carpet, the forward screw is just underneath the front, upper corner of the map pocket. The screw heads may hide in the carpet nap. There are three screws (use #3 Phillips ONLY) in the armrest. Two are in the main body and one is at the very front--the front one is at a very odd angle. Remove the two screws from the remote mirror switch. DO NOT OVERTORQUE WHEN RE-INSTALLING ANY OF THESE SCREWS--I'M NOT CERTAIN OF THE EXACT TORQUE SPEC BUT "SNUG" IS ALL YOU NEED! If you tighten them too hard (VERY common) you will distort the sheet metal and the screws will no longer hold properly and eventually fall out out.

After removing all of the screws lift the door panel straight up and it will release. Move it away slightly and disconnect the power lock switch and fish the mirror control lever through. There is supposed to be a thin sheet plastic "water barrier" behind the door panel. Unless it was replaced the original has probably disintegrated.

After that, do some searching. While you can get by with internet searches, I highly suggest that if you don't already have factory service and assembly manuals you should get them now!

See this threadthat includes a wonderfully helpful photo of the mechanism as viewed with the outer door skin removed. It was more helpful to me than anything for my first window mechanism repair!

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 03-18-2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typo fix
The following users liked this post:
mk's78 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 05:42 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

FWIW the bottom stops are adjustable , in case that helps you.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mk's78
...I am looking for/trying to find any information on how to adjust the up/downward travel on my 78's windows?...
What type of adjustment? Not rising far enough to seal against the t-top weatherstripping? Rising too far? Not lowering all the way down?

...Is there a chance that I might have missed something in the AIM?...
Who can say? UPC F01-F12 Sheets 5, 6, 7, and 8 in the AIM show and list the factory door glass setting procedures. Sheet 16 shows how to remove/install the door panel.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 03-19-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:07 PM
mk's78
Racer

Default Back to Easy Mike!!!!

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
What type of adjustment? Not rising far enough to seal against the t-top weatherstripping? Rising too far? Not lowering all the way down?

Who can say? UPC F01-F12 Sheets 5, 6, 7, and 8 in the AIM show and list the factory door glass setting procedures. Sheet 16 shows how to remove/install the door panel.
Hey there Easy Mike,
Been off the site for a few days...
Problem is the window is not rising enough to seal/seat against the top weatherstripping....Ya got some tips etc just go for it and I'll print it out at my end

Thanks so much for your help
Mike
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mk's78
...the window is not rising enough to seal/seat against the top weatherstripping...
Have you checked the upper stops?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for some answers/help!!!!

Quick Reply: Looking for some answers/help!!!!