C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to buy a C3 - but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:39 AM
clypsedra
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well guys, I did it. I bought a C3.
A '79 black C3 with red leather interior with the L82 255hp engine, manual transmission, and 100% completely original except for the steering wheel (but he gave me the old one - just some cracked leather). Got it for 8,700 off a private seller. Only a few tiny issues - parking brake doesn't work, a tail light is out, clock on the inside doesn't work, and the paint is not perfect (but like I said, all original). I will probably need to replace the tires since they are original...
65,000 miles on this thing, two owners, the guy I bought it from owned it for 25 years and put 35,000 miles on (drove it 5 times a year, only in sunshine, kept it in a heated garage). This car has never seen rain - the birdcage was shiny still.

I think it's perfect. I am also happy I didn't break the bank (12,000 was my max). The car looks and sounds like a demon. Drives strong - I drove it 2 hours home all over the place. I am so happy! Thanks for all the advice guys!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 AM
clypsedra
Advanced

Here is a picture from the listing. I will take my own pictures soon, but I got it home in the dark last night. Woohoo!!!!
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:54 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I dig it, black/red looks sharp... doubt the tires are the original though. Your rims aren't stock for 79. However, I don't think they've made those Eagle ST's since around 2000... so yeah they have to go.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:33 AM
clypsedra
Advanced

Originally Posted by raydog9379
I dig it, black/red looks sharp... doubt the tires are the original though. Your rims aren't stock for 79. However, I don't think they've made those Eagle ST's since around 2000... so yeah they have to go.
Interesting - well that is also good to know. I was shocked to think that those tires have been on for 65,000 miles
Old 05-22-2017, 12:25 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 600 Likes on 486 Posts

Looks great in the picture.

Clock can be sent out for conversion or just getting it fixed.

Parking brake could be just an adjustment but get underneath it and check the cables and brake shoes.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:00 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Glad you found your car!!!!

After tires, your first purchase needs to be both the factory service and assembly manuals. They are invaluable.

The clock and parking brake are excellent repairs on which to cut your teeth.

Original clocks and can sometimes have a lasting repair made by simply cleaning and lubricating. Do a bit of searching here and you'll find excellent instructions. It's a good idea to leave the clock running on the bench for a few days before putting everything back together as such repairs aren't always successful for any length of time.

Parking brakes are another very common problem. Presuming it leads to the shoes and associated mechanism itself (likely) you can prepare for one of the frustrating Corvette repairs. Presuming things are as untouched as you say the rotors will be attached with rivets that must be drilled out (you don't replace them however). When it comes time to reassemble the mechanism search here for "parking brake dental floss" for an excellent idea to turn an extremely frustrating job into something much less so.

Post pics of your engine compartment when you can. Such is an excellent indicator of how original things really are.

It doesn't matter but pinstriping did not come from the factory.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike

After tires, your first purchase needs to be both the factory service and assembly manuals. They are invaluable.

Original clocks and can sometimes have a lasting repair made by simply cleaning and lubricating. Do a bit of searching here and you'll find excellent instructions. It's a good idea to leave the clock running on the bench for a few days before putting everything back together as such repairs aren't always successful for any length of time.

Parking brakes are another very common problem. Presuming it leads to the shoes and associated mechanism itself (likely) you can prepare for one of the frustrating Corvette repairs. Presuming things are as untouched as you say the rotors will be attached with rivets that must be drilled out (you don't replace them however). When it comes time to reassemble the mechanism search here for "parking brake dental floss" for an excellent idea to turn an extremely frustrating job into something much less so.

Post pics of your engine compartment when you can. Such is an excellent indicator of how original things really are.

I think I might have the manuals actually. Letting my fiance drive it last night I poked around in the glove compartment and it was packed with some sort of manuals. I do have to get in there and figure out how all the inside stuff works (so I can roll down the windows while driving without having to think about it - the placement of some things is odd! still don't know how to turn on the inside light).

Very interesting to know that the pinstriping did not come original. I'm thinking the original owner pimped this thing out a bit before selling it to the guy I got it from - hence the nice hub caps and sleek stripes. Hopefully something like that won't hurt my chances at the collector plates.

I am not too worried about the clock and parking brake for now (first gear works fine for that purpose) but I will likely want to fix that in the future, so thank you for the advice! I am new to the car fixing thing so it is greatly appreciated.

I will be taking better photos tonight to get it insured at what it is worth, so I will be sure to share updated photos.

Thanks everyone for sharing my excitement and celebration!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:11 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by clypsedra
I think I might have the manuals actually. Letting my fiance drive it last night I poked around in the glove compartment and it was packed with some sort of manuals. I do have to get in there and figure out how all the inside stuff works (so I can roll down the windows while driving without having to think about it - the placement of some things is odd! still don't know how to turn on the inside light).

Very interesting to know that the pinstriping did not come original. I'm thinking the original owner pimped this thing out a bit before selling it to the guy I got it from - hence the nice hub caps and sleek stripes. Hopefully something like that won't hurt my chances at the collector plates.

I am not too worried about the clock and parking brake for now (first gear works fine for that purpose) but I will likely want to fix that in the future, so thank you for the advice! I am new to the car fixing thing so it is greatly appreciated.

I will be taking better photos tonight to get it insured at what it is worth, so I will be sure to share updated photos.

Thanks everyone for sharing my excitement and celebration!
Each of those manuals have hundreds of roughly letter-sized pages. They won't fit in the glove box.

You turn on the inside lights by turning the headlamp **** all the way counter-clockwise. Such is also the dimmer for the dash lamps--the farther clockwise you turn the brighter.

If that doesn't turn on the interior lights (and they don't turn on with the doors opening) then say "hello" to yet another extremely common problem--some sort of fault in the CTSY (courtesy/accessory) circuit that either causes the battery to drain or the fuse to blow.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:24 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Congratulations it looks like a great purchase for $8,700.
MISTERZ06 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Each of those manuals have hundreds of roughly letter-sized pages. They won't fit in the glove box.

You turn on the inside lights by turning the headlamp **** all the way counter-clockwise. Such is also the dimmer for the dash lamps--the farther clockwise you turn the brighter.

If that doesn't turn on the interior lights (and they don't turn on with the doors opening) then say "hello" to yet another extremely common problem--some sort of fault in the CTSY (courtesy/accessory) circuit that either causes the battery to drain or the fuse to blow.
Ah, well then I will have to go get those! Thanks!

I knew that **** did something...thought it was just loose or something. Gotta love the beautiful simplicity of the controls in these cars!

Well, that interior light problem doesn't sound like one that is worth fixing unless it does something more than not let the light turn on. That plus the clock are low on the priority list.

Today the little reverse pull **** thing on the shifter snapped, but I just had to unscrew the **** and see exactly what part to buy and it was only 16 bucks. These cars are like, designed to fix. I love it. I think I bought more than my dream car, but I bought something I can fix and be proud of!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
Congratulations it looks like a great purchase for $8,700.
Really? EXCELLENT! It's always scary to pay that much money for anything but it just seemed so right.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:06 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Here it is! Not the shiniest...
Also, there is a plastic piece directing air across the engine that the old owner took off - I have it.

Last edited by clypsedra; 05-22-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:10 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Here are more pics! Woohoo!!!!!

(ignore the bird poop...I need to get some nice sponges to wash this baby)

MISTERZ06 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Zora signed your steering wheel?
Old 05-22-2017, 11:19 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
Zora signed your steering wheel?
I guess so - it's engraved into the replacement wheel the dude I got it from put in.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:24 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

It looks bad ***
Seats look comfortable
Did it rain on you last nite on your way home?
Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Very nice!! I think you did very well.
clypsedra (05-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To I want to buy a C3 - but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:31 AM
clypsedra
Advanced

Originally Posted by jr73
It looks bad ***
Seats look comfortable
Did it rain on you last nite on your way home?
The seats are super comfortable!
Thankfully it didn't rain - I don't want this car to ever see rain. Unfortunately, the forecast for the week is nasty so looks like she will be sitting inside for a while I am itching to get out on the road!
Old 05-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Jbster
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Very nice!! I think you did very well.
Looks good.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by raydog9379
...Your rims aren't stock for 79...
Could be. Look like painted rally wheels to me and rally wheels were stock throughout C3 production.

Quick Reply: I want to buy a C3 - but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.