Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Bleeder question

Old 05-16-2017, 03:30 PM
ernie3
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Power Bleeder question

I'm trying to finish up redoing the brakes and based on reviews here I also ordered a a Motive bleeder when I ordered my parts.

I'm confident I can get it to seal after I go buy another big C clamp, but once you get it bled where is the fluid in the tube supposed to go when the cover is removed since the MC is now over filled? How do you use it without spilling brake fluid?

Ernie
Old 05-16-2017, 03:46 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 519 Likes on 349 Posts

After you are done bleeding, release the pressure by loosening the pump handle. The excess brake fluid gets sucked back into the bleeder. You may have a little leakage when you remove the adapter but it is not much.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG75
After you are done bleeding, release the pressure by loosening the pump handle. The excess brake fluid gets sucked back into the bleeder. You may have a little leakage when you remove the adapter but it is not much.
Fluid does not get sucked back into the tank when the pressure is removed from the tank, in my experience. After removing pressure, lower the tank as low as possible, looping the hose upward from the MC. Crack the nearest caliper bleeder until the fluid in the hose drains into the MC.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:23 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I tried filling the Motive bleeder with fluid once. Found it's way less messy (and less hassle) to continually check the master cylinder and use the bleeder just for air pressure. Plus less waste of brake fluid and don't have to flush the bleeder with alcohol after I'm done.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 PM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I bought one of these bleeders and prefer to do it gravity way , I never had luck with the seals to the master cyl .
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
I tried filling the Motive bleeder with fluid once. Found it's way less messy (and less hassle) to continually check the master cylinder and use the bleeder just for air pressure. Plus less waste of brake fluid and don't have to flush the bleeder with alcohol after I'm done.
I have now just made a plate of 1/4 steel with a thin rubber sheet for a gasket. Drilled and tapped for a air line fitting and I use a big C clamp to get a good seal. I let it bleed for about 20 seconds before I go back and fill the MC. Works every time with little or no mess. I tossed the Motive bleeder. I use about 15 pounds of air pressure.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Never had a problem using my Motive Bleeder, once I'm done I grab a large rag when removing the Motive Bleeder cap from the MC.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:56 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

If the MC is overfull after using the motive bleeder you didn't get a good seal between MC and motive lid.

Think about it: Before attaching the lid you had an air pocket above the fluid. Now the bleeder pushes more fluid into the MC to replace the fluid leaving the MC. But the air pocket is still there, on top of the fluid.

When I'm done bleeding and remove the motive lid the fluid level is the same as it was before.

Key to a good seal is to wipe the rubber seal on the lid and then I smear some grease where it contacts the MC. I also use 2 C-clamps to get even pressure. I have their old steel lid so I can crank the c-clamps tight.
MISTERZ06 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 05:31 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
Old 05-17-2017, 07:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I have now just made a plate of 1/4 steel with a thin rubber sheet for a gasket. Drilled and tapped for a air line fitting and I use a big C clamp to get a good seal. I let it bleed for about 20 seconds before I go back and fill the MC. Works every time with little or no mess. I tossed the Motive bleeder. I use about 15 pounds of air pressure.
That is the way that my pressure bleeder is. I have thick 1/4" plate that has an air line fitting made into it that I can attach the hose from my pressure bleeder. I have a contraption that has a chain on it that allows me to wrap it under and back up to a locking device and turn a thumb screw design threaded bolt that tighten the lid to the M/C. No leaks...even after 30 years of use.

And YES...IF I have the attachment sealed to the M/C..and have the fluid ...lets say 1/4" down from being full...when I am done bleeding the system the fluid did not raise higher. The only time it raises higher is IF the attachment is not sealed and it leaks....thus forcing out fluid and filling the M/C to the brim.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 06-08-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:08 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I have never put fluid in my Motive Bleeder. Yes, you have to periodically check to make sure you don't run the MC dry, but I still think that's easier than cleaning the Motive Bleeder.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
That is teh way that my pressure bleeder is. I have thick 1/4" plate that has an air line fitting made into it that I can attach the hose from my pressure bleeder. I have a contraption that has a chain on it that allows me to wrap it under and back up to a locking device and turn a thumb screw design threaded bolt that tighten the lid to the M/C. No leaks...even after 30 years of use.

And YES...IF I have the attachment sealed to the M/C..and have the fluid ...lets say 1/4" down from being full...when I am done bleeding the system the fluid did not raise higher. The only time it raises higher is IF the attachment is not sealed and it leaks....thus forcing out fluid and filling the M/C to the brim.

DUB

DUB, it sounds like you have a bleeder similar to the "antique" that I have, sitting on the shelf, in the garage. It always worked well for me, too, except when it was time to disconnect the line between the tank and the m/c cover plate. I always wound up with 3-4 oz. of fluid running out of the hose, as I released the "quick disconnect fitting". That was the only reason I stopped using it..............
Old 05-18-2017, 07:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
DUB, it sounds like you have a bleeder similar to the "antique" that I have, sitting on the shelf, in the garage. It always worked well for me, too, except when it was time to disconnect the line between the tank and the m/c cover plate. I always wound up with 3-4 oz. of fluid running out of the hose, as I released the "quick disconnect fitting". That was the only reason I stopped using it..............
When I go to remove the hose from the M/C attachment...I ALWAYS release the air pressure in the bladder due to my pressure bleeder has a manual pressure release valve on the bottom of the tank.

DUB
Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
When I go to remove the hose from the M/C attachment...I ALWAYS release the air pressure in the bladder due to my pressure bleeder has a manual pressure release valve on the bottom of the tank.

DUB
Good point. Mine has one too, but it's been so long since I used it (the last car I had, that had the cast iron, 2 pot master cylinder, was the '77 Trans Am I traded, to purchase my '01 Corvette), I don't remember if I bled the air from the bleeder ball first, or not...........
Old 05-21-2017, 09:27 AM
ernie3
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default update

I sent the Motive bleeder back and borrowed the schrader valve idea. The valve does have to be installed through the rubber gasket. Used my air shock pump from my Harley, works perfect.

New MC, booster, pressure switch, calipers. Did not realize how bad my brakes were before!

Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 AM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats kind of how I use motive bleeder. Just for the positive pressure. You have to check/fill the reservoir after every corner, but a lot less messy.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:57 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Reviving this thread......

I just had the camera out, so I dug out my "old" pressure bleeder. Maybe this is similar to the one that "DUB" uses.....

MISTERZ06 (06-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Power Bleeder question

Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

I just had the camera out, so I dug out my "old" pressure bleeder. Maybe this is similar to the one that "DUB" uses.....

I have the EXACT CLONE to this pressure bleeder. I mean EXACTLY the same.

I would die if it stopped working for me.

I have another pressure bleeder that is a different design but does the same thing... for the DOT5 cars that I have to work in from time to time.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 06-08-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:55 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
I have the EXACT CLONE to this pressure bleeder. I mean EXACTLY the same.

I would die if it stopped working for me.

I have another pressure bleeder that is a different design but does the same thing... for the DOT5 cars that I have to work in from time to time.

DUB
I haven't used mine in quite some time. I pulled it out of the box, out in the garage, and was surprised how "dirty" it had gotten. I'm rather embarrassed by it's condition...
Old 06-08-2017, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

I haven't used mine in quite some time. I pulled it out of the box, out in the garage, and was surprised how "dirty" it had gotten. I'm rather embarrassed by it's condition...
What it looks like on the outside means nothing....it is the condition of the area where the brake fluid goes is what matters.

Yeah..I must say mine looks a bit better...but HECK..I have been using it for over 30 years.

DUB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Bleeder question