Sponsored by:

1973 eckler model help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Lord Repasi
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 eckler model help

I am considering purchasing a 1973 eckler model corvette and I need help on what a good price would be, it doesn't have the carbs working so it won't stay running without starter fluid, the paint job needs a TON of work, part of the front right fiberglass is broken from when the previous owner hit a curb, the convertible roof needs to be fixed due to it being in pieces, the interior needs major work, the head lights need to have new plexiglass installed, the only good thing is the engine as it was highly modified and matches the car numbers and there is a new gas tank. If you could give your opinion that would be great, thanks!!!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Not much to go on and the frame condition is paramount, but assuming no issues there, sounds like a $3500 project car.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Lord Repasi
Heel & Toe

He is insistent on 7500 because it is a "piece of history" which no doubt it is but with the current condition of the car I think that he is asking too much for the car
Old 10-11-2017, 08:21 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

How about some pictures, so we can get a good idea of what you're looking at? Secondly, what does the current owner mean, when he says "an Eckler's Model Corvette"? If you're not aware, Ecklers is a Corvette supply house, in Florida, that did, or still does, make a large number of body modification parts/kits for C-3 Corvettes. In some cases, I believe that they may have also done the actual install work, at their shop, at one time.

However, depending on what you're looking at, it might just be an old Corvette that somebody slapped Ecklers body panels on, so the work may or may not be "acceptable", therefore the car may be ultra cool, or a POS.......and that also applies to the remainder of the car. As already mentioned, the frame and "birdcage" need to be examined very closely, for rust issues.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Sounds like a parts car.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:40 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

From the description without pics, I'd say couple grand max (on par with a parts car). Could be cool and worth it, or could be junk and run away...need to see what you're looking at.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Lord Repasi
...He is insistent on 7500 because it is a "piece of history...
FWIW: it's not likely to be a "piece of history." Pass on this one and keep looking.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:40 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Regardless of the actual value of the car, the work you describe will total more than it’s worth at the end of the restoration.

If you really want the car for whatever reason, you need to get it for as little as possible. If he sticks to his story and his pricing, walk away.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:55 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Any c3 corvetre could be called a piece of history this one might better be called a pos, but i havent seen it

Ecklers when ralph ( rip ) was doing his thing did some cool stuff but eckler never got a name or rather his cars never go to the big values of car built by places like motion or greenwood and even then a custom has to have good documents a provenance to be worth something,

Ecklers sold a lot of parts and built a fair amount of cars, but c even the really nice ones do not seem to fetch more than any other camparable custom,

A basketcase custom is what it is,
Old 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Lord Repasi
Heel & Toe

Default These are all the pictures i could get when i was there

Old 10-11-2017, 05:14 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

That doesn't look half bad!!

YES, there are a LOT of Ecklers body parts, that have been added to that car. If you can verify that there aren't any rust issues with the underpinnings, I personally think that it might be a possible candidate for a wild street car. In other words, at least in my opinion, it shows a lot more promise than your original post led us to believe...........
Old 10-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Lord Repasi
Heel & Toe

How much do you think I should be looking to pay for this car? Along with all the previous problems I don't know what I should be looking at to spend
Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Google is your friend if you don't know what you should be looking at ,

Google - "c3 corvette birdcage rust repair " click on images as well , that will bring up some horrifying pictures of what these cars can look like UNDER the fibreglass. That's the problem with these cars , they hide the rust so well.

If you can establish that car has no rust problems , then the rest can be fixed and you would have a nice safe car to cruise around in.

You need to get some pics of the chassis from under the car to see what its really like.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:47 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

That is the early and in my opinion best looking of the eckler wide bodies, l8kely customer built,

The hood scoop is not ecklers but builder made,

If it wasnt too rusty i would pay perhaps up to 6500 as i love this style wide body on a convertible, but 4500 to 5k is likely more realistic considering what we do know about it....

If rust is bad at all i wouldnt want it for free as i still would be uphilling and too upside down in it,

There is a sticky thread on buying vettes where to look for rust, it will have some but hopefully not too much
Old 10-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Lord Repasi
Heel & Toe

It doesn't run or anything, the guy is making me tow it out if I'm going to get it
Old 10-11-2017, 05:50 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Do you have any idea about how many miles are on the car? Is it currently in drivable condition.....if not, do you know when it was last driven? Again, the rust issues that have ben mentioned, would be the key, as to what this car might be worth. Another "issue" that C-3 Corvettes face, is leaking brake calipers. That's why I mention when the car was last driven. If the calipers are bad, it's not a show stopper, as there are several reputable sources for "re-sleeved" calipers. It just becomes an added expense, in getting the car roadworthy.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Lord Repasi
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Do you have any idea about how many miles are on the car? Is it currently in drivable condition.....if not, do you know when it was last driven? Again, the rust issues that have ben mentioned, would be the key, as to what this car might be worth. Another "issue" that C-3 Corvettes face, is leaking brake calipers. That's why I mention when the car was last driven. If the calipers are bad, it's not a show stopper, as there are several reputable sources for "re-sleeved" calipers. It just becomes an added expense, in getting the car roadworthy.
it last ran 10 years ago, has around 60K miles on it

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 eckler model help

Old 10-11-2017, 05:55 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Let face it even if rust isnt too bad it will have a long list of little things like brakes that will have to be brought up to par....
Old 10-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Lord Repasi
Heel & Toe

This will be my first restoration ever and I want to make sure that I'm not getting a car that is going to fall apart the first time I take it out
Old 10-11-2017, 07:35 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lord Repasi
This will be my first restoration ever and I want to make sure that I'm not getting a car that is going to fall apart the first time I take it out
Not falling apart is up to you and the work you put into this or any car you restore,

Btw,
I love it, im jealous and hope it works out and isnt too rusty, makes me wanna wide body my 69 convertible

Last edited by The13Bats; 10-11-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 1973 eckler model help