Sponsored by:

Undercarriage questions 1968

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Duffeball
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Undercarriage questions 1968

I'm under the car making plans to finish what's needed before the body gets back on the car. What are some "Must Do" items?

I'm looking at the floor under the cabin and it looks to have some undercoating applied. If I'm correct, I don't think it was original unless it was done at the dealer after the fact right?

Trying to decide weather to scrape it off or leave it? Front half will be covered by heat insulation and what not so I'm thinking of leaving it as is and giving it a good scrub.

Also, do battery cables run under the insulation or over it?

Past that I'm getting engine compartment cleaned up. If I remember, the inner fenders aren't originally painted right?

What are some other things to consider?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi D,
Originally a little bit of 'sound-deadening'/undercoating was sprayed in the wheel-wells.
Not was purposely sprayed on the under-body or frame.
The under-body was typically left with the natural dark fiberglass appearance it had when it came out of the mold.

I believe typically the positive battery ran up against the underbody (the tunnel insulation blanket covered it).

The inner fenders, 'aprons', and cowl received a quick coat of 'black-out' after the body was painted but before any further assembly was done.
The black-out coverage was erratic and thin and didn't extend around the backs of the aprons to where they meet the fenders.
The same is true with the cowl area, the original blackout only extended down to about where the 'toe boards' began.
Many restorers do a much more thorough and careful job of black-out than the line in St.Louis did.

Regards,
Alan

The battery cable coming out from under the blanket. (Pretty much an untouched car.) You can see how dark the fiberglass in the tunnel is too.

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-23-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:22 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

RVZIO

Last edited by SB64; 10-23-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Duffeball
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Looks good.

Boy that all looks so good. Makes me want to go home and scrape all of mine off. I guess with a heat gun it isn't the worst from what I understand. I'll probably still have to black out some of it as I've had some repairs done down there.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:21 AM
BMSLRS
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan,
I live near you in Howard Co MD. I tried to PM you but your limit had been reached. I would like to discuss a 69 project car, especially side pipes.
If available please contact me:
301-674-4050
B-Stevens@comcast.net
Thanks
Brett
Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,227 Likes on 2,771 Posts

BMSLRS...….I think Alan71 has taken time off from the Forum. Maybe other members will reply....several members have started detailed threads about sidepipes.

Get notified of new replies

To Undercarriage questions 1968

Quick Reply: Undercarriage questions 1968