Engine painted or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Engine painted or not?

Hey everyone

The paint on my 1977 L48 engine is flaking off.
Should I just wait and let it all come off, and let it be...
Are there benefits of painting and engine with a High temp paint? Or is it just for the looks?

I ask this just because with almost all European oldtimers (25 years or older) (I'm from Belgium.) the engine's aren't painted...

Is it because the majority of US cars (oldtimers) have all L6 and V8's? They give off more heat than (Majority of European cars) L4's?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:07 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

While i of course can't speak on what's typical in your home country as far as whether engines are painted or not, I'd say your paint is probably flaking off due to one of 2 reasons. 1, the original paint is just old and worn, or 2. someone did a poor job of repainting the engine in the past. Either way, if i were mine, I'd do a thorough and complete job of cleaning and degreasing the engine and then repaint in your choice of color. The factory color would be the GM corporate blue, but my preference although incorrect would be Chevy orange, because I think all Chevy small blocks should be orange. I painted my 79 engine Chevy orange.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:40 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Chevy small blocks just look more right when painted Chevy orange. I did the one in my 77 that way.
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2018, 06:50 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The European cars probably have aluminum engine blocks; and those shouldn't be painted so the aluminum can dissipate heat better. I would bet that they are intended to run hotter, also. Aluminum parts will oxidize and go dull, but they won't look much different. Cast iron engine blocks will rust and look pretty ugly if not painted.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-06-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:56 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

With any of the "hobby" vehicles that I have owned I have always taken pride in a nicely detailed engine and compartment. I'm sure a C3 Vette is not a common site in Belgium and when people ask to see under the hood....
Old 01-06-2018, 07:19 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Novusuhu
...The paint on my 1977 L48 engine is flaking off. Should I just wait and let it all come off, and let it be...
Your choice. Do you like the way it looks?
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Paint

The engine as difficult as it could be in the car with everything on it is a challenge . However the block MUST be free from oil type contaminates. Wipe as much as you can with acetone or lacquer thinner BEFORE priming and or painting.
RVZIO
Old 01-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Defintiely paint it. Just a little will make a huge difference

BEFORE

AFTER

chrome covers

C2 covers

VHT high heat engine paints. If it was an aluminium block I would clean and paint it clear. If its iron, leaving it, it would be Chevy rust colored orange or you could wait for the oil to cover it and t wouldnt be rusty anymore(LOL)

Painting it in the car would be a major hassle. I would wait for the paint to chip off and when you have time to pull it, you could paint the motor and clean the engine compartment at the same time. AND WHILE YOUR IN THERE.........you could pull the motor apart since its out to be painted and change all the gaskets, and since its apart for gaskets you could replace the bearings, and since your going through all the trouble to take it apart you could hone the cyliinders but since theyre out why not bore it and make it a 383 or bigger!!! YA thats the ticket.

seriously though, ya it looks better painted

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 01-06-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:04 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Your choice. Do you like the way it looks?
No, not really with the flaking...
Old 01-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

to clean the engine in the car is a lot of work and your going to have to remove a lot to do a good job. if you have the time, tools and willingness it would be best to pull the engine, replace all the gaskets you can. then clean it very well and paint it the color of your choice. it may seem like a lot of work and overwhelming but it would be worth it in the end.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Clean it up and paint it.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM
C3Highway
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Eljay
With any of the "hobby" vehicles that I have owned I have always taken pride in a nicely detailed engine and compartment. I'm sure a C3 Vette is not a common site in Belgium and when people ask to see under the hood....

A clean engine and drivetrain makes identifying the source of potential fluid leaks much easier. Also, working on the car becomes more pleasant--or less of a chore--depending on your perspective. And if you've gone to the trouble of cleaning the engine, that would be a great time to paint it. Showing your clean, painted engine to others is a treat.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Nicky B
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do it!

My opinion

I would paint the block, it looks great and makes it easier to spot leaks, I repainted the motor in my Camaro with it still in the car, it really wasn't that hard and I actually enjoyed doing it.

Let us know what you decide.

Nick.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:01 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I have seen blocks painted any color under the rainbow, even match the outside of the car. I like the block painted black with SOME chrome parts(not too much here). It really makes the little chrome stand out, so does the orange.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine painted or not?

Quick Reply: Engine painted or not?