Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 crash

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 03:02 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

The best thing that came out of this thread is that WAR BONNET likes my car.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:42 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,708 Likes on 1,424 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Ouch

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Truck is at fault. Not a big loss though, wasn't a chrome bumper C3.

Ouch! Trying to stir the pot aren't you!!??
Old 01-10-2018, 06:28 PM
See 3
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 01-10-2018, 06:47 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

in some areas, no one is completely at fault, some blame goes to each driver, even if they are sitting still at a stop light and get hit from the side! Go figure?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

in some areas, no one is completely at fault, some blame goes to each driver, even if they are sitting still at a stop light and get hit from the side! Go figure?
That insurance companies game so that each one can raise the car owners rates. How can EVERY accident situation be both drivers fault? Impossible. Shame on these companies!!! Ike
Old 01-10-2018, 10:19 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

NO, this is the police telling us this, that way both get tickets. Ever watch Judge JUdy settle her court trials??
Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

I've looked at that thing several times and what I've seen is this !

1. That truck pulled out into that center lane that is marked for zero traffic to be in it ! Hence the diagonal lines in it !

When the truck finally decided to turn right from that lane he crossed two solid white lines separating the two lanes of forward traffic!

Now I don't know what the law is on that in Texas but here that is a failure to yield ticket in a heartbeat!

The only thing I see that Vette owner did wrong was failing to drive defensively but not at fault for the collision! If he had done what that first car did I don't think they would have met by accident!

Btw , Finwolf I like your car too! And IWASMENOWHESGONE's and Warbonnets and , well , I'll stop there for now ! I don't want to stir the pot to much!

Old 01-11-2018, 05:33 AM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

"ahh too late my c3 friends the pot has begun to boil"!
images shares
The following users liked this post:
SPCL FX (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,070 Likes on 985 Posts

If you watch closely, you'll see that this is a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way - watch as you can see the 2 cars go buy side/side a couple of times) with a 'center' lane for turning, merging, etc (certainly not used properly by the truck driver). The truck pulls into the center lane and kind of coasts, starts to work his way over. Mustang (I think) sees what's happening and slows way down - no street racing involved at all. Mustang sees that the truck driver has no clue, and jumps on it to get around him. C3 comes up - at this time the truck was out of the center lane and into the outside driving lane, driving slowly with his turn signal on. Truck then turns from the outside driving lane and gets in C3's way - C3 was in the outside driving lane. Clearly the truck driver's fault - - - but......the C3 driver should have been able to see the idiot, slow down, and maybe avoid the whole thing. Too many drivers don't drive farther than 5 feet in front of their bumper. Bummer for the C3 driver and car.........

I'm not a LEO (was years ago), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a couple of years ago.....

PS: hey Fin, I like your car too! :-)

Last edited by Hopper12; 01-11-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Without seeing whether the C3 was in a turn lane (or no actual lane at all) the truck is clearly at fault making a right turn without looking. This changes if the C3 was not in a legal lane and if the truck was in a proper turning lane with their right turn signal activated.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:49 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
If you watch closely, you'll see that this is a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way - watch as you can see the 2 cars go buy side/side a couple of times) with a 'center' lane for turning, merging, etc (certainly not used properly by the truck driver). The truck pulls into the center lane and kind of coasts, starts to work his way over. Mustang (I think) sees what's happening and slows way down - no street racing involved at all. Mustang sees that the truck driver has no clue, and jumps on it to get around him. C3 comes up - at this time the truck was out of the center lane and into the outside driving lane, driving slowly with his turn signal on. Truck then turns from the outside driving lane and gets in C3's way - C3 was in the outside driving lane. Clearly the truck driver's fault - - - but......the C3 driver should have been able to see the idiot, slow down, and maybe avoid the whole thing. Too many drivers don't drive farther than 5 feet in front of their bumper. Bummer for the C3 driver and car.........

I'm not a LEO (was years ago), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a couple of years ago.....

PS: hey Fin, I like your car too! :-)

Hopper12 thank you. I'm on the road every day for the last 42 years for work and plus all my personal driving. What I have seen to many times is a person puts on there turn signal and just because they put it on they think that gives then the right to just come over. whether they have the room to move over or not. then when they hit you and they say well I had my turn signal on that drives me nuts. Yes the vette could of been more defensive but he was all most past the truck when the truck hit him in the rear quarter. so truck wrong is how I see it.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:12 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Guy in the truck is driving like he's higher than Snoop Dogg or Willie Nelson.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:49 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by FINWOLF
The best thing that came out of this thread is that WAR BONNET likes my car.

Let's be clear here, what I like MOST about your car is really, how much you like it and the attention you recieve for a well done job!

It's not my position to tell others what to park in their garage or how to care for their belongings. If we all liked the same things it would be a pretty boring world, No?

Now, why some people have such difficulties hearing that another person has different likes and doesn't care for modded Corvettes is beyond me......Guess the "us against them" will never die (received by PM). Remember, "I've never seen an original Corvette that I liked" weren't my words.....

I'll add, I've always loved the front end of the '60 cars and the chrome teeth, but prefer the rear end of the 61/62 model. Chop those two and puthem together. I'd love to see that!

Back to the crash!

Last edited by Don Rickles; 01-14-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: edited
Old 01-12-2018, 08:19 AM
cyxelsid
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Unfortunately, I have more experience in this area than I care to admit... I have wrecked almost every car I have owned. I have been at fault, been in the right, and testified as a witness.

From what I saw, IMO, the truck is likely LEGALLY responsible for the accident. This clip only gives us one perspective, and it is short, but it is pretty clear the truck made a bad turn. At the same time, the Verte driver is guilty of being a friggin' idiot. The truck was obviously driving like a jack *** long before the encounter, and anyone watching more than 6 seconds ahead of them would have seen it,and avoided the incident by slowing and/or stopping. While the truck is likely LEGALLY wrong, and the Vette LEGALLY in the right... as my Mom used to tell me, he could have been DEAD right. As my Dad would have said, do you want to be right, or do you want your Vette to remain in the condition you worked so hard to achieve.

thankfully, my days of crashing cars are behind me.... 8 years, this month, since my last wreck! Knock on wood...
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Someone always has to be the turd in the punchbowl.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:51 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Something else to consider, how the state laws are written in the state where the accident occurred. I say that because in NC, unless the Corvette was in a right turn only lane, the truck is at fault for changing lanes into the path of an overtaking car. When I lived in NJ, the Vette is at fault for passing on the right on a multi-lane road.
That said, those that said, I'd agree with those that think the Vette driver was driving like an ***. Last month I came up on a 18 wheeler on a highway. I was in the right lane, he was in the center lane. My antenna went up, something about how he was driving wasn't right. Sure enough, he cuts right in front of me to take an exit at the last minute. If I was passing him on the right, I wouldn't be here to write this post. We all know, you've got to drive defensively.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:05 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Truck's fault no question. Right turn from the far left lane and no blinker. Strip him of his license.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:33 PM
76bomb
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

This intersection is Poindexter and N Main in Cleburne TX. The camera is located in a business called Digitex.com they have two security cameras. They have witnessed accidents at this location. The truck was pulling out of Scurlock Ave turning left onto N Main. (There are no markings that disallow this type of turn) There is a center island in which allows traffic to wait for a clear place to merge. The yellow hash marks are not in the immediate area of where the truck pulled out from. While heading South/West on N Main there are no signs in regards to turns onto Poindexter Ave. I'm just happy the Mustang didn't hit any pedestrians.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...1!4d-97.391243
Old 01-14-2018, 05:47 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 275 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Both at fault, truck making illegal right turn from left or center & the Vette sorry to say looks as though excessive speed played a role compared to the speed of all the other vehicles moving about in the video. Lucky they didn't hit one of those poles head on ?

Quick Reply: C3 crash