Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing seat foam only

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 04:15 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The worst damage you might do to your old seat covers (if you are careful) is damage to the remaining cotton backing for the original scrim foam. SOME damage is not a big deal; you only need to have what is left retain the new foam strips. Once the strips are in place and the seat cover is replaced on the frame, you're 'good to go'.

And, unless the seat cover material is already "toast", your covers won't split. You've been sitting on them for years without them splitting. Why would they do so now? The new foam adds LITTLE pressure to the covers. It merely fills the channels that have been empty for a long time.

P.S. Those who have NOT done this need to keep their "THEORIES" to themselves. The OP needs input on how TO do this, rather than why he should not.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-10-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Toyl,

" I found that the individual pieces fit snug and looked like it should. Sewn as a single sheet is the best, but that would complicate things to the point that it may not make sense since the cover would need a lot of disassembly and professional sewing/assembly. "

I agree that taking the cover apart far enough to be able use a single sheet of foam may be beyond a possibility at this point.

I asked because I wondered if the use of the single sheet added something to the finished appearance?
In looking at the stitching it appears that perhaps the 'sheet' was first held from 'shifting' by the dark stitching (?) and then the 'rolls' were created by additional stitching (?).
???

How about a couple of photos from the 'butt' side of the covers?
This looks like something I'd like to try to do.

Regards,
Alan

Notice the dark stitching doesn't follow the 'rolls' exactly. It appears it was just intended to stop the foam from moving around 'too much' while the cover was being sown.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:38 AM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm inclined to try this as well for the seat bottoms, but I'm curious if it's been attempted before.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:38 PM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

Here's a bottom with all the channels filled with 1/4" scrim foam. I only pulled it onto the original foam. It looks very good as is and I think it will look even better once the wire anchors are pulled through.

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Toyl,

" I found that the individual pieces fit snug and looked like it should. Sewn as a single sheet is the best, but that would complicate things to the point that it may not make sense since the cover would need a lot of disassembly and professional sewing/assembly. "

I agree that taking the cover apart far enough to be able use a single sheet of foam may be beyond a possibility at this point.

I asked because I wondered if the use of the single sheet added something to the finished appearance?
In looking at the stitching it appears that perhaps the 'sheet' was first held from 'shifting' by the dark stitching (?) and then the 'rolls' were created by additional stitching (?).
???

How about a couple of photos from the 'butt' side of the covers?
This looks like something I'd like to try to do.

Regards,
Alan

Notice the dark stitching doesn't follow the 'rolls' exactly. It appears it was just intended to stop the foam from moving around 'too much' while the cover was being sown.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Toyl,
The pleats still look a little wrinkled to me... as if there's not quite enough foam in them.
I'll be interested to see the seats when you're completely finished with them.
Being able to do what you're doing could save a lot of seat covers that are in very nice condition.... except for the yellow dust.!!!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-12-2018, 01:20 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Exactly the same situation I had in 2005 when I purchased by '71 coupe. Yellow dust...no channel foam. I inserted 1/2" scrim foam (medium density) and the channels plumped up nicely, looking very similar to new cushions.

I'm sure the original covers must have been assembled as ALAN71 surmised: scrim foam panel sewn at perimeter to the cover, then vertical stitching to create the channels. But, I think ripping the existing channel stitching out would weaken the seat covers significantly and any re-do of that process would eventually lead to failure of the cover when put in use.

I'm convinced that re-stuffing the channels is the only viable way to do this repair of servicible covers. My seats have gotten over 15,000 miles of use over the last 10+ years with NO problems to the seat covers.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Lark327
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kdf1986
Wow. .What great replies. I will keep my 4 seat re-upholstering comments to myself. I wish I had some of these comments and photos when I was redoing my seats.

I like that you are going to keep the original seat covers. Unfortunately pouring new wine into old wineskins will make them split. So maybe the adage of old applies here and using new foam with old covers will cause them to split also.

best of luck
kdf
Update on my original post. When I got the seat covers off, I tried to slit the fabric backing and fish out the old foam as described by others, but it was still pretty intact, not real crumbly. In fact it was hard. So I slit the back of each pleat lengthwise and easily removed the old foam. then I cut new pieces to fit in each pleat, laid them in and used spray contact cement to hold them in place by pulling the fabric backing over them. Was much easier than fishing the old stuff out and trying to push the new foam in. Also I used 1/2" thick foam and it looks perfect. I am more than happy with the result. They look like new.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:08 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Congrats!!
Necessity is the 'mother' of Invention. Doing what the situation seems to call for...and getting it to work is the "real deal".

Your situation was different from mine, as I had almost ALL yellow dust. My method wouldn't work for your situation. You reasoned-out a solution and others can make use of that strategy, as needed.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:31 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I finally got around to doing my seat foams for a 2nd time. (from my previous post, Al Knoch shipped me hard foams which made me sit too high. they sent me softer foams, so I got to redo the seats again). This time I vacuumed out all of the deteriorating seat cover foam and installed some new stuff from Amazon. It turned out much better. My seat covers are old and they've now survived 2 re-dos quite well. I'm very happy with how they turned out and the foam is MUCH softer. It feels the way it should now. I sink into them a bit instead of riding on top. Glad I said something to them. Once I finish the driver's side I'll be giving away the foam I'm replacing. It's a little firm, but the price is right

Last edited by Hayes69; 06-27-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing seat foam only