Sponsored by:

Engine Stamp Opinions and More

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Z,
One way to become more familiar with 69 cars would be to purchase the 'newish' 5th Edition of the NCRS 68-69 Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide. Might you already have it?

It's filled with information about original 68-69 cars and more than 500 color photos.

Being a somewhat knowledgable buyer, and having a knowledgable 68-69 person with you when you finally get to a point that you're going to look at cars in person, will help you make a good choice and buy a good car at a good price.

Regards,
Alan

It's more than 260 pages.

These 2 are from the 70-72 Manual but will help you get an idea of the type of information in the 68-69 Manual.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-20-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:46 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen
Thank you joewill. I'm not sure what you meant in your last line. Do you mean that badly rusted cars may be restored by unscrupulous shops, getting donor frames and VINS and that in the end the motor may not actually match? And that someone like me may not know the difference?
Not just the above scenario. It is possible to have a car that all the numbers match up, but if the frame or birdcage are rusty, you are looking at a very expensive and difficult situation to fix. It's a little easier to find a hidden bad frame or birdcage than sorting out a correct stamp pad, but even frame rust can be camouflaged. You'll need to sort out the rust condition even if you are looking at a NOM car.

Good luck! Take your time looking for the right car.
Marc in Indy
Old 01-20-2018, 03:22 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Z,
One way to become more familiar with 69 cars would be to purchase the 'newish' 5th Edition of the NCRS 68-69 Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide. Might you already have it?

It's filled with information about original 68-69 cars and more than 500 color photos.

Being a somewhat knowledgable buyer, and having a knowledgable 68-69 person with you when you finally get to a point that you're going to look at cars in person, will help you make a good choice and buy a good car at a good price.

Regards,
Alan

It's more than 260 pages.

These 2 are from the 70-72 Manual but will help you get an idea of the type of information in the 68-69 Manual.

Thank you Alan! No I do not have it, although I do have the Corvette 1968-1982 Restoration Guide 2nd Edition, along with the Corvette C3 Buyer's Guide 1968-1982, which has helped immensely.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:50 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by 128racecar
Not just the above scenario. It is possible to have a car that all the numbers match up, but if the frame or birdcage are rusty, you are looking at a very expensive and difficult situation to fix. It's a little easier to find a hidden bad frame or birdcage than sorting out a correct stamp pad, but even frame rust can be camouflaged. You'll need to sort out the rust condition even if you are looking at a NOM car.

Good luck! Take your time looking for the right car.
Marc in Indy
Thank you Marc. I agree, and rust is a deal-breaker for me. I'm definitely more comfortable rooting out frame damage/rust and birdcage rust, although I know it can always be hidden behind panels or trim. If a seller were to attempt to conceal frame rust somehow, I'd like to think I would stand a good chance of spotting it (I wouldn't buy a car without getting access to the undercarriage).

When talking to sellers, I ask about birdcage rust, frame rust and radiator core support rust, getting pictures sent if possible. In this short journey, I've seen birdcages with visible rust holes through the windshield, cars with surface rust on the frame (no flaking), cars with exploding pieces of rust leaving the frame, (poor) painted over frame rust repairs, expert birdcage rust repairs, and had one car where when the door was closed, rust fell to the floor. One seller was willing to take the kick panels out to check the body mounts, and together, we located rust there (his wife's daily driver in the warmer months, rain or shine). I bring my ball peen hammer with me to every car I look at to test for rust if needed, asking the owner for permission to tap on his frame. And lastly, I've always had another person with me as a second set of eyes and ears.

Having said all that, I know I have a lot to learn and little by little, I'm picking up more and more, thanks to all of you.

Last edited by ZRXGreen; 01-20-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:16 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Just my opinion on this one

I think the stamps looks ok.
If its a restamp they did a good job. The #7 font in the vin looks exactly right.

The car is on Craigslist for $30k.

Truthfully that's about right but a little high for this car. These vettes, meaning a 390 hp automatic are not selling for more than that. Even really nice verts will not be much over 30k. This car needs work in several areas. But if the frame is good and the trans is original it should get close to 30 if it has some docs like a tank sticker to go with it.

Last edited by ed427vette; 01-20-2018 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZRXGreen (01-20-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:29 AM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by ed427vette
Just my opinion on this one

I think the stamps looks ok.
If its a restamp they did a good job. The #7 font in the vin looks exactly right.

The car is on Craigslist for $30k.

Truthfully that's about right but a little high for this car. These vettes, meaning a 390 hp automatic are not selling for more than that. Even really nice verts will not be much over 30k. This car needs work in several areas. But if the frame is good and the trans is original it should get close to 30 if it has some docs like a tank sticker to go with it.
Thank you Ed. I couldn't find the Craigslist ad, could you send me the link? Also, it is very helpful to hear what the cars sell for, so I get an idea what is fair when I see them. When you say the 390 hp autos aren't selling for more than 30K, where are you getting your information? As I mentioned above, the only info I've been able to find online is the eBay sold listings search function. Thank you.

Last edited by ZRXGreen; 01-21-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Ed,
I'm surprised at your 'valuation' on 69, 390 hp, automatic, convertibles.
?
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Hi Ed,
I'm surprised at your 'valuation' on 69, 390 hp, automatic, convertibles.
?
Regards,
Alan
Hello Alan and ZRX

They just don't sell for much compared to a 4sp. There was a beautiful Riverside Gold coupe on eBay from PA with a tank sticker end of last summer and the seller was asking under 30 and couldn't get it. It may have sold now, as I havent seen it but its unlikely it went for more than 30 based on the trouble he was having getting it sold. I was interested but couldnt find room to store it. I have the vin. I think it was 712020. Contes in Jersey had a really nice vert, blue/black and sold that for 30. Maybe over a year ago. They had a red 68 that sold for 30 within the last few months and I believe its still on there website, might be off now. Contes also had a white 69 coupe that is still on there website for 30900 asking price. And this is a dealer. All were much nicer than this yellow one. Of course a coupe vs vert of the exact same condition would have the vert be a few grand more in my opinion but the coupes I am referring to are much nicer in condition.

There is the black on Tan coupe 400hp automatic that was for sale on this forum and is still on Craigslist, I think Milwaukee. He couldn't get 40 although he just updated his add and increased the price to 45. He couldn't get 40 so he raised the price? Yep, you read that right. I'm sure he will take 40 or less if he wants to sell. And the car has been for sale a long time. Automatics just don't have the high demand for some reason and therefore lower prices.

Last edited by ed427vette; 01-21-2018 at 12:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZRXGreen (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 12:38 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen
Thank you Ed. I couldn't find the Craigslist ad, could you send me the link? Also, it is very helpful to hear what the cars sell for, so I get an idea what is fair when I see them. When you say the 390 hp autos aren't selling for more than 30K, where are you getting your information? As I mentioned above, the only info I've been able to find online is the eBay sold listings search function. Thank you.
The Craigslist ad is gone but I'm sure it will go back up. The car has been for sale for awhile.

I guess a 390hp auto could sell for more than 30 but it would have to be a very nice car, lots of docs.

I just keep track of what I see, I keep a simple log on 69 big block vins with pictures of the stamp pad and docs when available along with asking price and selling price if known.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Ed,
You certainly have the information on hand.
But I'm still surprised!
I'm not at at all interested in an automatic car, but there seem to be enough folks who indicate that THEY are, that there'd be a market for automatic 427 cars?!
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-21-2018, 01:02 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Hi Ed,
You certainly have the information on hand.
But I'm still surprised!
I'm not at at all interested in an automatic car, but there seem to be enough folks who indicate that THEY are, that there'd be a market for automatic 427 cars?!
Regards,
Alan
I am suprised too.

I don't think there is anything wrong with an auto. There just seems to be some reason why when it comes to chrome bumper corvettes that the demand is not as high and prices seem low. I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Other makes of muscle cars don't seem to have the issue

Quick Reply: Engine Stamp Opinions and More