Sponsored by:

71 BB convertible/Ridetech project.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 09:07 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
I am thinking of doing coil overs for the rear of my 72. Did you have to change the rear control arms or can you use the ones on the car. And if you have to use their control arm how hard is it to move the spindle from one set to the other. My rear control arms and spindles are new. So I would like to use them .
I installed a complete Ridetech suspension kit. It comes with taller spindles to help with better neg. camber gain and improve bump steer with the relocated tie rod ends. Driving ANY car with bump steer gets really old, really fast. If their suspension setup reduces or eliminates bump steer, it will make the cost worth every penny IMO. As far as the rear goes, the coil overs are relocated and the lower mount brackets bolt onto their trailing arms. The upper coil over mount is part of the upper crossmember which also raises the diff slightly to improve the camber curve. It's supposed to lessen (but does not eliminate) the toe change when the rear suspension is compressed.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Did you happen to take a close look at your front inner fender well cutout clearance and the upper control arm after alignment and full travel? I m going to have to do a little trimming front and back . Also, what size rear tires and wheel are you going with?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:08 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

If you are using the Ridetech suspension you most likely will have to trim the inner fender for upper control arm clearance. Granted, I most likely trimmed way more than was necessary. I saved the pieces just in case.....The wheels I am using are Riddler 650, 9.5 x18 rear and 8x18 front. Tires are 275/40ZR18 rear 245/45ZR18 front.

Last edited by txfatboy1; 01-18-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added text
Old 03-04-2019, 11:29 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

WOW! I can not believe it is already MARCH! I am finally able to post some progress. I am at the point where I can say I am over the flu.... I think. LOL What a beating. I have never been that sick, that fast (literally overnight). Anyway, between my last post and now I have been working on the 71. I have been taking care of a lot of little things now that the engine is bolted back in. My main issue was header clearance.The 1/2 inch higher exhaust port on the ProComp heads was not exactly compatible with the Maximizer SS side pipe headers. I am certain with heads having stock exhaust port location, there would have been minimal issues. Oh well, it took a lot of convincing, massaging, cussing, cutting, cussing, hammering, and cussing.... but they are in and I didn't have to destroy the headers in the process. I worked on replacing the tach drive cable since the one on the car was damaged. Now on to getting the MSD 6al mounted and wired in, and the heavier gauge wiring for the higher amp alternator, and installing the starter. I'm not going to be able to drive it to the GoodGuys meet next week but I will be soon.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:41 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

What backspace are you running in the rear. Seems Ridetech said you can get away with 5.5 inches with their kit. Nice job on the build.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:07 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
What backspace are you running in the rear. Seems Ridetech said you can get away with 5.5 inches with their kit. Nice job on the build.
The back spacing according to the manufacturer is front 4.5 inches, rear 5.25 inches, both front and rear have 0 offset. There is room for more tire and if this wheel was offered in a wider 18" diameter I would have bought it. BTW, thanks for the compliments.
The following users liked this post:
69ttop502 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:48 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Hello all. Well, I had a very productive weekend. I took advantage of me feeling much better and my girlfriends misfortune (she stayed home sick) and worked on the 71 all weekend. I will post pictures during the week. It just takes forever to take the picture, transfer it to my PC, resize it, and then add it to the post... Kinda makes me laugh when I think of my Dad and I developing photos in a dark room many years ago.... and now I'm whining about it taking forever... LOL Anyway, lots of stuff done, many of which taking a picture is either too difficult to get a good picture or just not needed. I may be able to do the first start/cam break-in this coming weekend. Then it will be hauling it to the alignment shop for it's initial alignment. They are going to let me "assist" with the alignment. The reality is, I will teaching their alignment tech how to do an alignment on a C3. After the alignment is done, I should be ready to take it on its maiden voyage. This weekend, I finished installing the tach drive cable, finalized the MSD box mounting pad, installed the spark plugs and plug wires, made a couple of heat shields for things like fuel and brake lines, made and installed the upgraded power cable for the larger alternator, installed the adaptor plug for the CS144 alternator, installed the bolts for the driveshaft front u-joint straps, bolted the starter back on, installed the side pipes onto the headers, and fixed the leaking drain plug in the aluminum radiator....I think that was it for now. I'll try and add the pictures soon.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,653 Likes on 2,915 Posts

Wow that is a bunch of work.
I can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:32 AM
73ls1
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Ridetech suspension

My 73 is 95% done. Suspension and Wilwood brakes on.Going to replace power steering pump because it whines.I need to set the preload on coilovers and have it alignment done.I hope to drive it in a couple of weeks.I don't know why it bothered me to cut the inner fenders because everything is been modified but it did.I would like to have Forgeline wheeels but way to much money so I leaning toward Rocket Attack wheels.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM
73ls1
Pro

What are you going to use to cover innner fenders? I thought about some fiberglass covers.I think someone on the forum made some.Can't remember who did it.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:40 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 73ls1
My 73 is 95% done. Suspension and Wilwood brakes on.Going to replace power steering pump because it whines.I need to set the preload on coilovers and have it alignment done.I hope to drive it in a couple of weeks.I don't know why it bothered me to cut the inner fenders because everything is been modified but it did.I would like to have Forgeline wheeels but way to much money so I leaning toward Rocket Attack wheels.
I totally agree on the forgeline wheels. Just can't bring myself to shell out that much money. I have plans for a TKO 600 and eventually fuel injection. Oh, and a paint job some day....
Old 03-11-2019, 12:44 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

What are you going to use to cover innner fenders? I thought about some fiberglass covers.I think someone on the forum made some.Can't remember who did it.
I am just going to reinstall the factory flaps.... and if needed make my own to accommodate the Ridetech upper control arms.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:26 AM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Okay, lots going on but I finally am getting around to posting some pictures. Between last weekend and this weekend I have finally reached the point of starting the engine. I had an issue last weekend trying to get the shifter to go into park and actually lock the driveshaft. After dropping the trans pan, I found the fluid control valve was not properly mated with the pin on the detent/shift lever. Once I got that taken care of, I bolted the pan back on with a new gasket and poured 6 quarts of dextron atf back in the trans. I added the small starter brace, and finished hooking up the shifter cable. Next was getting the remaining coolant hoses installed and filling the cooling system with Prestone and distilled water. I will also add some water wetter before I start to drive the car. I then fabbed/ painted/installed the coil bracket, painted and installed the ign. box bracket with the ignition box. I also added the isolated power and ground lugs on the passenger side. I also intend to add them on the driver side. This will give me easy to connect power and ground locations for current and future additions. The correct throttle cable bracket arrived so I installed it as well. That's it for now. Next weekend if the weather cooperates I roll it out of the garage, fire it up, and do the cam brake-in.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:57 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,653 Likes on 2,915 Posts

What was the problem with the billet Holley throttle cable bracket?
I bought one for my 73 and want to be sure it will fit.
What did you replace it with?
Thanks, Greg
Old 03-18-2019, 05:35 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
What was the problem with the billet Holley throttle cable bracket?
I bought one for my 73 and want to be sure it will fit.
What did you replace it with?
Thanks, Greg
Greg, there was nothing wrong with the aluminum throttle cable bracket that I'm aware of. I just like the cleaner look of the factory type bracket. I can't say whether or not the aluminum bracket will provide enough clearance for a deep drop base air filter. The bracket I installed is a reproduction of the factory bracket that came on Holley equipped engines in Corvettes. I think there are a few suppliers that offer it.
The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (03-18-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:39 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Yes! It lives. Initial start was pretty straight forward. I had to hook up an oil pressure gauge tester to confirm oil pressure because the gauge in the dash indicated zero when I primed the engine and when I did the initial start. Once I confirmed oil pressure, no oil, coolant or fuel leaks, I double checked the oil level and then started the engine and ran the cam break-in. The engine runs great and the throttle response is nice and crisp. I have a few video clips so far, and I am trying to figure out how to transfer them to my PC and then post them here. I am currently working on replacing the cooling fans that came on the car with a Taurus 2 speed fan. I also have to finish flushing the power steering hoses, reinstall them, fill the system and install the power steering belt and alternator belt. Then its off to the shop so I can do the alignment..... Oh, I almost forgot... those 4 inch side pipes sound Bitchin'....

Last edited by txfatboy1; 03-24-2019 at 09:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by txfatboy1:
Metalhead140 (03-24-2019), OldCarBum (03-25-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 01:02 AM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Today, in between rain showers, I was able to bolt the wheels back on and set the car back on the ground. I sat down in the drivers seat, turned the key and the Big Block cracked to life. I put the shifter in reverse and for the first time in more than 2 decades, My 71 moved under it's own power..... WOOOHOOOO! It started to rain again while I was taking the pictures and I developed a coolant leak, so back in the garage it went.....

Last edited by txfatboy1; 04-10-2019 at 12:02 AM. Reason: added text

Get notified of new replies

To 71 BB convertible/Ridetech project.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:01 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

What a nice feeling it is to get the Vette moving again after extended projects.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:07 PM
73ls1
Pro

Default 1st drive

I drove my 73 today.The Ridetech suspension seem very tight and the ride is very good.The Wilwood brakes stop very good and stops straight.I'm happy with everything I installed over the winter. Only problem I have now is noisy power steering pump which I replace this week.Really look foward to driving it this summer.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:17 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

I drove my 73 today.The Ridetech suspension seem very tight and the ride is very good.The Wilwood brakes stop very good and stops straight.I'm happy with everything I installed over the winter. Only problem I have now is noisy power steering pump which I replace this week.Really look foward to driving it this summer.
That is great. Hopefully I will be driving soon. Just trying to make sure it is as good as I can get it before that maiden voyage.

Quick Reply: 71 BB convertible/Ridetech project.