Sponsored by:

Horn Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 05:44 PM
tviscomi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Horn Relay?

Is it possible that my 1978 doesn't have a horn relay? The horn doesn't work, but that's not the reason I was searching for the relay. I'm attempting to diagnose my non-functional brake lights and according to the wire diagram that I have there is a ground just before the horn relay that I wanted to check.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi T,
The 78 horn relay is located just above the fuse panel on the firewall below the left side dash panel.
Regards,
Alan

The following users liked this post:
tviscomi (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 06:57 PM
tviscomi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi T,
The 78 horn relay is located just above the fuse panel on the firewall below the left side dash panel.
Regards,
Alan

Yes that's where I looked, along with various other places. What I'm trying to accomplish is re-wire my brake lights. I intend on tapping into the white wire coming of the opposite side of the brake switch (which is brand new) and running it to the rear taillights. My issue is that I don't know where I can capture a ground that will work with this idea.

Last edited by tviscomi; 05-05-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi t,
This is the only dedicated ground connection I see near the fuse panel.
If it weren't connected I'd think you'd be having dash lamp problems.
It mounts with a screw into the interior side of the hinge pillar.
Regards,
Alan

What are you using as a guide to working on the electrical systems?

tviscomi (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 02:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by tviscomi
I intend on tapping into the white wire coming of the opposite side of the brake switch (which is brand new) and running it to the rear taillights. My issue is that I don't know where I can capture a ground that will work with this idea.
Your idea will not work correctly.

YES...you will have brake lights (possibly)...but this white wire that you plan on tapping into goes to your turn signal switch.

I fell you are going about this the wring way by finding an alternative instead of fixing the problem.

You already have a ground at the taillight socket.

Hopefully you are skilled in doing wiring and knowing the circuits...because as it seems to me...you can be possibly causing you more grief and potential electrical problems attempting it in the manner you think will work.

I think you really need to do more testing to FIND the problem. If you do not know how...ask us. And having a wiring diagram is a MUST.

I am willing to help you if you want to do this correctly. And this is because I can not count the number of Corvettes I work on yearly that have had some electrical repairs done incorrectly by someone who should not have touched the car. And knowing that I am not working on your car...I am NOT talking about you...but I am just saying.

DUB
tviscomi (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 07:04 AM
tviscomi
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
Your idea will not work correctly.

YES...you will have brake lights (possibly)...but this white wire that you plan on tapping into goes to your turn signal switch.

I fell you are going about this the wring way by finding an alternative instead of fixing the problem.

You already have a ground at the taillight socket.

Hopefully you are skilled in doing wiring and knowing the circuits...because as it seems to me...you can be possibly causing you more grief and potential electrical problems attempting it in the manner you think will work.

I think you really need to do more testing to FIND the problem. If you do not know how...ask us. And having a wiring diagram is a MUST.

I am willing to help you if you want to do this correctly. And this is because I can not count the number of Corvettes I work on yearly that have had some electrical repairs done incorrectly by someone who should not have touched the car. And knowing that I am not working on your car...I am NOT talking about you...but I am just saying.

DUB
Dub,
I will take you up on your offer. I do have decent troubleshooting/wiring skills, thus hopefully I/we can get this issue resolved. Basically I tested every connection except for those within the steering column. Any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 AM
DUB
Race Director

YE..I have many thoughts:

Please answer these questions so we bother on the same page..so-to-speak.

1.) We are dealing with you not having brake lights...correct???

2.) Do you have working turn signals...front and rear???

3.) Do you have working parking lights front and rear???

4.) Do you have working hazard lights???

5.) When you headlight switch is on and the parking lights in the rear are on.. When you try your left and right turn sdignal...DO they work???

6.) On your brake switch. The ORANGE wire....does it have battery voltage on it???

7.) IF it does. When you press your brake pedal. Does the WHITE wire then get battery voltage on it???

8.) IF it does...the go to your connector a the underside of your steering column. The WHITE wire in it should get battery voltage at this connection when you press your bake pedal. Does it get battery voltage at the WHITE wire???

I will stop here so I can see what is going on.

I also am sure you have verified and checked your fuses to make sure they are all good and CURRENT is passing though them.

DUB
Old 05-07-2018, 03:51 PM
tviscomi
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
YE..I have many thoughts:

Please answer these questions so we bother on the same page..so-to-speak.

1.) We are dealing with you not having brake lights...correct??? No brake lights or hazards

2.) Do you have working turn signals...front and rear??? Yes

3.) Do you have working parking lights front and rear??? Yes

4.) Do you have working hazard lights???

5.) When you headlight switch is on and the parking lights in the rear are on.. When you try your left and right turn sdignal...DO they work??? Yes

6.) On your brake switch. The ORANGE wire....does it have battery voltage on it??? Yes

7.) IF it does. When you press your brake pedal. Does the WHITE wire then get battery voltage on it??? Yes

8.) IF it does...the go to your connector a the underside of your steering column. The WHITE wire in it should get battery voltage at this connection when you press your bake pedal. Does it get battery voltage at the WHITE wire??? Ah, haven't checked that wire.

I will stop here so I can see what is going on.

I also am sure you have verified and checked your fuses to make sure they are all good and CURRENT is passing though them. Fuses are fine

DUB
Dub, see my answers in the original quote. I am out of town on a business trip until Friday. I truly appreciate ALL you help!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

THANKS for your replies to my questions.

Get back to me when you get back into town.

I am going to PM you my shop phone number so IF you want to be at your car..and call me...we can test some things to find the problem...

DUB
tviscomi (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 09:01 AM
tviscomi
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
THANKS for your replies to my questions.

Get back to me when you get back into town.

I am going to PM you my shop phone number so IF you want to be at your car..and call me...we can test some things to find the problem...

DUB
@ DUB:
I just got home from my business trip and checked for power at the white wire going to the connector and YES I have power with the brake pedal depressed.

IF it does...the go to your connector a the underside of your steering column. The WHITE wire in it should get battery voltage at this connection when you press your bake pedal. Does it get battery voltage at the WHITE wire??? Ah, haven't checked that wire

Get notified of new replies

To Horn Relay?

Quick Reply: Horn Relay?