Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Build

 
Old 01-26-2019, 12:19 PM
  #41  
jackson
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Timmonsville SC
Posts: 5,151
Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jackson View Post
OP Gman81

Some 40+ years ago (and before the advent of fart cans & tunercars) I built a hotrod 3KC Toyota 1200cc pushrod motor Ö and painted its iron block yellow too! I Iike it on yours as well!

I can see in your pics your H423 pistons, Aluminum Heads & Flat Tappet Lifters.

Did you deck the block? if so How much?

Which Aluminum Heads? they look like they may've been run.

Which Head Gasket?

Which cam?
Best guess heads are L98 / ZZ4 heads

Decks don't look like any Recent mill/deck
jackson is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 PM
  #42  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jackson View Post
OP Gman81

Some 40+ years ago (and before the advent of fart cans & tunercars) I built a hotrod 3KC Toyota 1200cc pushrod motor Ö and painted its iron block yellow too! I Iike it on yours as well!

I can see in your pics your H423 pistons, Aluminum Heads & Flat Tappet Lifters.

Did you deck the block? if so How much?

Which Aluminum Heads? they look like they may've been run.

Which Head Gasket?

Which cam?
no deck work on the block. I got the heads from my machinist off a project he was pulling apart and he did all the valve work. Center bolt valve covers, 58cc. Pre-vortec style 87-96.
Speedpro pistons and mild cam at .466. Edelbrock intake.



installed in the frame with rebuilt trans this evening.

Last edited by Gman81; 01-26-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Gman81 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
jackson (01-27-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 09:24 PM
  #43  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Engine is mounted in the frame, I'm working on finding a set of headers that will work with my angled plug heads. Started scraping the old paint from the body, welded the right side floor pan in along with the #2 right body mount. The ac compressor mount is missing so I've been checking the scrap yards around here in hopes of locating one. Small steps...

Body by razor, pulled the bikes from storage for Daytona bike week in a few days so the garage is tight at the moment.

Small steps and a little sweat equity.
Gman81 is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 07:08 AM
  #44  
M Pete
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 201
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

I have a set of the Summit long tube headers I was going to put on my '80 but have decided against that. They are new in the box, I just took one out to look at it. I have the gaskets as well. I can drop them off this week to see if they will fit if you would like.

Pete
M Pete is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Gman81 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 08:39 AM
  #45  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by M Pete View Post
I have a set of the Summit long tube headers I was going to put on my '80 but have decided against that. They are new in the box, I just took one out to look at it. I have the gaskets as well. I can drop them off this week to see if they will fit if you would like.

Pete
Hey Pete, sure appreciate the offer. Iíll send you a PM with my number. Thanks again
Gman81 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:18 PM
  #46  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Thanks for the headers Pete, should work out splendid. On another note, got home last night and my parts shelf had fallen off the wall damaging my speedo/tach cluster and cracking my dash into two pieces. Now I need to figure out how to repair or spend money; just a little bit frustrated

.

Last edited by Gman81; 03-15-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Gman81 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:33 PM
  #47  
Priya
CF Senior Member
 
Priya's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan
Posts: 5,614
Received 265 Likes on 233 Posts
Default

Oh, that sucks so hard. Sorry to hear about your mishap, and on that super nice cinnamon interior!
Priya is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:44 PM
  #48  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Priya View Post
Oh, that sucks so hard. Sorry to hear about your mishap, and on that super nice cinnamon interior!
going to have the interior changed to camel or charcoal but would have painted the dash.
Gman81 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:57 PM
  #49  
M Pete
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 201
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Iím glad they found a good home.

As as for the dash, maybe do a repair with some plastic weld and then cover it in leather!
M Pete is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 PM
  #50  
Priya
CF Senior Member
 
Priya's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan
Posts: 5,614
Received 265 Likes on 233 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gman81 View Post
going to have the interior changed to camel or charcoal but would have painted the dash.
Yes I know. I was thinking about it from a personal perspective. I did up until a few years ago think the ultimate C3 interior colour was silver but I had never seen the cinnibar interior up until that point. I'd have seriously considered putting a cinnabar coloured interior in my 79 had I known it existed before I spent thousands on my replacement silver interior pieces - I just see you there, changing interior colours and think "Damn, I could have bought all that stuff and got better stuff than repro and perhaps for a lot less."
Priya is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:07 PM
  #51  
jackson
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Timmonsville SC
Posts: 5,151
Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gman81 View Post
Thanks for the headers Pete, should work out splendid. On another note, got home last night and my parts shelf had fallen off the wall damaging my speedo/tach cluster and cracking my dash into two pieces. Now I need to figure out how to repair or spend money; just a little bit frustrated

.
Sorry to hear of your trouble. Did you get it driving since you installed fresh motor? I can't see pic but that's OK. Wish a speedy recovery.
jackson is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 PM
  #52  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Not driving yet. Body is still off the frame, I’ve been working on paint removal and welding in new floors and mount repairs in kickpanel. Took a small break for bike week and had bikes out of storage, in garage for maintenance with no room to work on the car. Enjoyed the riding since it had been awhile and now back to work. Still months away from startup.
Gman81 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 08:57 PM
  #53  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by M Pete View Post
Iím glad they found a good home.

As as for the dash, maybe do a repair with some plastic weld and then cover it in leather!
I figured I could repair as best as possible and glue a dash cap to it. Found a black one for $105 plus shipping. Actually more concerned with the cluster bezel but will see if good glue helps on that.
Gman81 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 PM
  #54  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust mock up

Started on the exhaust this week and so far Iíve hung the right side and may be ready to weld in on Thursday. The driver side is in but not yet tweaked for welding.


Gman81 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:43 PM
  #55  
Priya
CF Senior Member
 
Priya's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan
Posts: 5,614
Received 265 Likes on 233 Posts
Default

Oooo, shiny!
Priya is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 11:23 AM
  #56  
1bdvet
CF Senior Member
 
1bdvet's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Plantation Florida USAF(Retired) 1966-1990
Posts: 34,583
Received 1,408 Likes on 1,302 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default

Love to see it when completed! You might fine yourself bored after the build, putting in so much work! Have fun!
1bdvet is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 12:29 PM
  #57  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1bdvet View Post
Love to see it when completed! You might fine yourself bored after the build, putting in so much work! Have fun!
1bdvet, you may be right. Iím already thinking about a bumper car or an old classic truck. Iím not a sit on the couch type, (not that anything is wrong with that). I like to keep moving and seeing results. Would love to get a c7 but no work would be needed on that, lol.
Gman81 is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 06:58 PM
  #58  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Weld Work

Spent the day welding in and fabricating pieces on the driver side floor after cutting out the whole rusted through sheet metal. Got used floors from the scrap yard several months ago and finally at the point to get this done now. Exhaust is in completed today. Now to get into some body work and paint. Toying with painting it myself with neighbors help.
Gman81 is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 PM
  #59  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gman81 View Post
Spent the day welding in and fabricating pieces on the driver side floor after cutting out the whole rusted through sheet metal. Got used floors from the scrap yard several months ago and finally at the point to get this done now. Exhaust is in completed today. Now to get into some body work and paint. Toying with painting it myself with neighbors help.


Gman81 is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 AM
  #60  
Gman81
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Gman81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 54
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Cleaned, treated and painted with POR15;


Gman81 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My First Build


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: