C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by gguillot
Another (probably obvious) solution is not to buy the cheapest version of the part you are looking for. Most of the vendors now list a couple of different versions of the parts and some will state whether it is made in the US or not.
This is a great point. Knowledge is power.

Example: I broke a pull strap off a rear compartment door on my ‘69. Easy fix, easy replacement. cheap item, they are all the same, right? Oh, noooo.

I ordered from one of the major vendors and was horrified by the piece of garbage they sent. The size of the leather, width and depth was half. It was made out of a plasticy vinyl. The replacement screw was a flat head screwdriver thingie from the hardware store. Photos of the prior part (also a repro and very close to original) side by side with this thing was laughable.

Turned out, it was very difficult to buy this part. Many vendors didn’t picture the part in their listings, or it was so small you couldn’t tell the detail. After a lot of research, I took a gamble on another and it was a good one. But seriously, who sees that coming?

To the original vendors credit, I sent them a note, not just about the item and transaction, but wondering if was worth selling garbage just to get a price $2 lower and then getting them returned? They were very responsive, agreed, apologized and refunded everything including all shipping.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:05 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

Additional information. Read this for your entertainment.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...epo-parts.html

Darrell Quickdraw Glanton

Last edited by ddglanton; 01-10-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

man. like i get what you are trying to get at. stuff aint what it use to be, but youre getting replacements not nos factory pieces.
but like i said, maybe your car is jacked up or you just have bad luck.
you just seem to be bashing with no detailed information as to what is wrong. just that they are bad. pretty baseless
Maybe take instruction and see if your wipers are grounded right, (common problem wiring where people burn up there motors with bad ground).
probably frying all your other crap beacuse something is wrong/hot. also looks like you ordered the wrong drive shaft coupler, doesnt mean its bad. things need to be broken in too.
latch aint gonna work like a 40 year old broken in and well adjusted unit.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 AM
hosehead
5th Gear

I had a problem recovering my seats on my 75. The seat foam is too big for the covers or the covers are not made large enough to cover the new foam. After a month of phone calls to the supplier they sent me everything new again. Same problem.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:49 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hosehead
I had a problem recovering my seats on my 75. The seat foam is too big for the covers or the covers are not made large enough to cover the new foam. After a month of phone calls to the supplier they sent me everything new again. Same problem.
that is NOT a problem. that is how they are suppose to be. Otherwise the covers would be loose and look wrinkly.
send them to an upholstery shop they know what to do. you have to "shrink" the foam by compression it,, or putting your body/arm on it to squish it at the same time you apply the cover. also you use a thin plastic sheet/or bag and place it over the foam to help the cover fabric slip over the foam easier and not get caught. hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 PM
hosehead
5th Gear

Default Bad aftermarket parts

Originally Posted by NONN37
that is NOT a problem. that is how they are suppose to be. Otherwise the covers would be loose and look wrinkly.
send them to an upholstery shop they know what to do. you have to "shrink" the foam by compression it,, or putting your body/arm on it to squish it at the same time you apply the cover. also you use a thin plastic sheet/or bag and place it over the foam to help the cover fabric slip over the foam easier and not get caught. hope this helps.
nonn37 thanks for the info. Will leave it up to the professionals now.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by NONN37
man. like i get what you are trying to get at. stuff aint what it use to be, but youre getting replacements not nos factory pieces.
but like i said, maybe your car is jacked up or you just have bad luck.
you just seem to be bashing with no detailed information as to what is wrong. just that they are bad. pretty baseless
Maybe take instruction and see if your wipers are grounded right, (common problem wiring where people burn up there motors with bad ground).
probably frying all your other crap beacuse something is wrong/hot. also looks like you ordered the wrong drive shaft coupler, doesnt mean its bad. things need to be broken in too.
latch aint gonna work like a 40 year old broken in and well adjusted unit.
Here you go. Read these. I don't make baseless claims. I am an Aerospace Engineer and I think I know what I am talking about. The double-d shaft was machined wrong from the factory. I took it to a machinist and he agreed as if I didn't know already.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-windows.html
Old 01-13-2019, 09:26 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Hey Guys,

Corvette America's door latchs are beyond terrible. I installed them new on my corvette. The lock and unlock mechanism is so hard to use, none of my lock features work. The door latch is impossible to unlock/lock with a key it is so hard. The actuator cannot overcome the friction required to work properly. And even the manual lock, I had to use a pair of pliers to actuation unlock and lock. Terrible product. Now I have to dissassemble my whole door(s) and put on a new latch after just doing it. I have ordered two from Zip Corvette and we'll see how those work. I will keep you posted.

Last edited by ddglanton; 01-13-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

probably ask who manufactures them. probably come from the same place.
You seem like the type of fella who should be looking for nos gm or good used pieces, instead of the aftermarket junk you will never be satisfied with.
I would try to find a good used set. they are usually bulletproof as long as the car wasnt sitting in the woods somewhere with the doors/windows open for 20 years.
The following users liked this post:
ddglanton (01-15-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:51 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597891361
Old 01-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

ddglanton
Your know Sir, since you said I couldn't be more wrong, then obviously I have no more to say to you. You obviously do not want to listen, but you have your mind made up. I get your point. No product improvement. No listening to the Customer. No Continuous improvement plan in place. It's do what you always have done. And that is OK. Let's let the readers of this forum decide. Am I always right about things no. But at least I am willing to listen and willing to learn and make adjustments. Of course. Unlike suppliers.
So you say I am not listening and you are, but you didn't read what I said.... I didn't say you were wrong but I did say you are mentioning a lot of stuff that is wrong and nothing about the problem could be the guy installing it. We do check a ton of our parts but we can't check everything. You say your an aerospace engineer, you should understand the complexity of what you are asking then and how it is not feasible. You know what I see a lot of though, it is mis installed parts and like the post above where the seat foam is too big. To the person who doesn't do this all the time it would appear to be that way, but that is the way it is supposed to be. I get these phone calls every day, and I personally see the parts that come back to test and like the wiper motor, 99% of them are good, it was the installer or the car that had the issue and not the motor. The point is we do listen to our customers, but I also do not just change something because a customer says it is wrong. We check and test parts all the time. The only reason I said anything to you because of the way you said it and that you made the assumption in your statement that nobody checks anything the majority of repro parts are bad.
Justin

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 01-14-2019 at 03:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zip Corvettes:
bmans vette (01-21-2019), NONN37 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:33 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
start with wiper switches and headlight switches.
yes, I just got my 2nd wiper switch and its junk just like the first. for 35 bucs it should be better. it looks like the original but it ends there. if I used my wipers regularly it wouldn't last a couple months.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by nutsy
yes, I just got my 2nd wiper switch and its junk just like the first. for 35 bucs it should be better. it looks like the original but it ends there. if I used my wipers regularly it wouldn't last a couple months.
I have been going back and forth with manufacturers on that part. The wiper switch more so than the headlight switch. Part of the problem is not just lack of QC but it is technology and the lack of enough parts being produced to actually do this correct. The original contacts were stamped, so when they were stamped it left the edges rounded. It takes a massive amount of money today to produce the parts like that. Today all of this stuff is laser cut, the problem is that the parts are not being de-burred after this and it leaves a rough edge on them. So inside the switch they do not glide over each other very well and you have spring tension as well that will usually make the switch come apart when the two contacts slide over and jam on each other. They have been getting better about this, but this is one of those parts that could absolutely be improved upon. We have thought about producing it, but there are already two different manufacturers of it. My project to do list is already big that I am working on, however if these have not been fixed by the time my stuff is getting finished then that will probably be what I work on.
The headlight switch's were fixed and I have not had an issue with those in awhile.
NONN37 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:51 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by ddglanton
Hey Guys,

Corvette America's door latchs are beyond terrible. I installed them new on my corvette. The lock and unlock mechanism is so hard to use, none of my lock features work. The door latch is impossible to unlock/lock with a key it is so hard. The actuator cannot overcome the friction required to work properly. And even the manual lock, I had to use a pair of pliers to actuation unlock and lock. Terrible product. Now I have to dissassemble my whole door(s) and put on a new latch after just doing it. I have ordered two from Zip Corvette and we'll see how those work. I will keep you posted.
Try loosening the screws, if you loosen them and it frees the mechanism up it is because the mechanism is flat and that is wrong. I have not had the complaint on the 78-82 yet but it was an issue on the 69-77 units for awhile. If you look at a stock one they look flat until you lay them on something flat.
NONN37 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Hey Guys,

Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 AM
Zip Corvettes

I don't think CA makes those. I am fairly certain that only Keen makes the door mechanisms.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I wrote 2 letters to the 4 or 5 vendors that I dealt with directly (The same, and additional vendors were used by the shop doing the actual work.) The first garnered a phone call and a letter from one vendor. The second an email from another. Both received high marks from me in my original letter. The second letter was an admission of our mistake with respect to an item from one vendor, but I shared that letter with all the original recipients so that all would know I'm happy to admit my errors. That particular vendor has not, yet, responded. The vendor who cost me the most has not offered to accept the item for a refund, nor have they put the advisory statement on their page that they said they would.

As for wiper switches, I think the third one worked. I don't know the vendor for the brake booster, which failed some months after getting the car on the road. That vendor took responsibility and supplied a replacement.

Last edited by Dirty Dalton; 01-21-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts

Old 01-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I got a pair of black A-pillar trim pieces for my 72' and they flat out do not come close to fitting. $160 a pair and they are laying under the bench. Quite a disappointment.....I might be able to tweak them but got better things to do. They came from Corvette Central.
I am not that upset really because I should have sent them back and didn't, but they barely look like they were designed for a C3 they fit so poorly........I just wonder if anyone tries this stuff out in a prototype or dry run before they sell it.

Jebby
Old 01-21-2019, 05:01 PM
nix1981
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

I've replaced the light switch on my 69 and now the **** pulls completely out sometimes. It's maddening! Its the OE ****, would a new **** help?
Old 01-21-2019, 05:04 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by nix1981
I've replaced the light switch on my 69 and now the **** pulls completely out sometimes. It's maddening! Its the OE ****, would a new **** help?
I doubt it. You can still get the Camaro switch from GM, and move the vacuum valve to the new one.

Quick Reply: Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts