Weird electrical/ starting problem- please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 PM
KWIL
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Doug1
I hope you have a battery charger for all this stuff, lol. I still want to know what happened with the spark test. Just to be sure before tearing the column apart. It's a 3 minute long test with someone else cranking, if no one else is around try and rig it so you see that small gap while you crank the engine.

But also, here you go again with the wording. I took your term on RUN for the key position as the spot where the key comes back after letting off of it to start....? But then you say no start in RUN. See why it's confusing?
Yeah sorry I just caught that. Corrected in last post. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:55 AM
KWIL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

UPDATE:
Last night I changed out 2 questionable looking connectors- one at the starter and one at the coil. They were both slightly loose and poorly crimped.
Today I went out and got an inline spark tester. Spark is good, and it actually fired up- for about 2 seconds, then wouldn't restart.
I inspected the fuel system, and noticed a small leak at the fuel pump, and could not find a fuel filter anywhere.
I have a Holley 750 DP, 4150. I believe there should be a fuel filter between the pump and the carb, right? (My engine building did a great job on the engine itself, but seems like he threw it all back together in a hurry.)

I can see fuel entering the bowl when pulling the accelerator by hand, but the bowls of the carb are fairly dirty, so I guess I may need a carb rebuild. I'll probably end up starting another thread with questions about the carb and fuel system because I don't know much about it unfortunately. Thanks everyone for you help. At least I don't have to pull the steering wheel and drop the column again lol.

Last edited by KWIL; 01-21-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:13 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Great, now we're getting somewhere! Lol, an inline spark tester. What, no screwdrivers laying around?

Yes, you need a fuel filter! Mine is just a rubber line, take that into an auto parts to get one that matches the size of hose. I would try letting the entire carb sit in a gallon of carb cleaner that you can get at walmart. High fumes from that stuff, keep out in garage and away from door that goes into your house, otherwise the stink will be in the house for awhile. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight, blow out with air gun(wear goggles), slap it on with new filter and see what happens. If crappy still, then perhaps a rebuild is in order. Be sure to use hose clamps with new filter, also inspect the rubber fuel lines, may be time to replace, the hose is cheap.

I wish I could have been there to see your face when it fired up......and then died. Haha, sorry I couldn't resist!

Last edited by Doug1; 01-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:48 PM
KWIL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Doug1
Great, now we're getting somewhere! Lol, an inline spark tester. What, no screwdrivers laying around?

Yes, you need a fuel filter! Mine is just a rubber line, take that into an auto parts to get one that matches the size of hose. I would try letting the entire carb sit in a gallon of carb cleaner that you can get at walmart. High fumes from that stuff, keep out in garage and away from door that goes into your house, otherwise the stink will be in the house for awhile. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight, blow out with air gun(wear goggles), slap it on with new filter and see what happens. If crappy still, then perhaps a rebuild is in order. Be sure to use hose clamps with new filter, also inspect the rubber fuel lines, may be time to replace, the hose is cheap.

I wish I could have been there to see your face when it fired up......and then died. Haha, sorry I couldn't resist!
LOL my expression was probably just as you imagined. "Success!!.... fail. .."
I like the idea of soaking overnight So that's safe and won't damage the internals?
I ordered the molded fuel supply hoses and will pick up some fuel injection hose for between the pump and carb. Will definitely add a filter in that line.
Thanks for the help.

Edit: yes I knew I needed a fuel filter lol, just wasn't sure where in the system it's supposed to be placed.

Last edited by KWIL; 01-21-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:16 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KWIL
LOL my expression was probably just as you imagined. "Success!!.... fail. .."
I like the idea of soaking overnight So that's safe and won't damage the internals?
I ordered the molded fuel supply hoses and will pick up some fuel injection hose for between the pump and carb. Will definitely add a filter in that line.
Thanks for the help.

Edit: yes I knew I needed a fuel filter lol, just wasn't sure where in the system it's supposed to be placed.
Can't say for sure on how it will effect some rubber internals, if they can handle the fuel I think they will be ok. If they are 40 years old, IDK. You don't need molded lines, cancel that order. The bends aren't that much, filter and hoses can be acquired at local auto parts. The can of carb cleaner too, but it costs more than at walmart. May need a new gasket for carb where it mates up with intake manifold depending on how well it comes off.
Just make sure the hoses are for fuel.

Filter goes a few inches from carb inlet. Short rubber hose that you will make goes in between

Last edited by Doug1; 01-21-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:08 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

What part is Accell? They are not the most reliable parts and their Super Stock plug wires are pure junk as well as their Super Coils. BTW, the 750DP can't handle much more the 4 psi fuel pressure.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:11 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Any updates KWIL?

Quick Reply: Weird electrical/ starting problem- please help