Sponsored by:

Vette Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:06 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
I always wave! Waving at the other classics too, as I know the difficulty and expense keeping these classics running. Sadly I find the newer Vettes hard to recognize.
This..I like all the classic cars and generally wave back at them. I might not like what the car looks like, but I admire the time and dedication that people put into their ride. Anyone with credit can buy a new Mustang,
Challenger or Corvette, but only a few can make the old come back alive..
The following users liked this post:
Greg (08-03-2020)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:47 AM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I always wave and would say I get a wave back about 90% of the time. I say keep the wave going.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:27 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

I even wave at the Cops....when I'm not speeding!!
Old 08-03-2020, 02:30 PM
Duntov7
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by L-46man
Thanks....For the record....I love all Corvettes and would not kick ANY ONE OF THEM outta bed. A measly 75 coupe would be a terrific daily driver! Even a 165 Hp CA. car.

Unkahal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love to wave....always.
Here's where it started....yes, my 146 HP 1975 lotsa fun Corvette (and JJ). Pic in 1975.....I'm now very old ! ! !

The following 2 users liked this post by Duntov7:
Greg (08-03-2020), marshal135 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 03:17 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

Saw a C8 for the first time this weekend. Of course he didn't wave back.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:18 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I see it as a choice, I could care less if someone didnt wave back and am puzzled at those who really get upset when someone doesnt wave at them? Etiquette..its just a car.
I get the enthusiasm and all but really....

In the 2 years I have lived in Hemet I have not seen one corvette of any yr except for one C3 at a show. Guy said he only drives it a few times a year
Old 08-03-2020, 10:26 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I used to wave at all Corvettes (Corvettes only, that’s supposed to be the point of “The Wave”) back in the 70s, 80s, even 90s but eventually I stopped getting waves back on a regular basis.

So, I never wave anymore, unless a Corvette waves to me. Then I’ll return it.

A business solicitor was walking towards my house the other day when I pulled in with the ‘63. He made a comment about what kind of cars I must have with the Challenger parked outside. Then, he asked me what kind of car that was that I was driving. Didn’t know what kind of car the split window was. It was kind of sad. I wanted to ask him for his Man Card.

The following 5 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
Kr65 (08-04-2020), loup68 (08-06-2020), pigfarmer (08-04-2020), Rescue Rogers (08-04-2020), Richard Daugird (02-05-2021)
Old 08-04-2020, 05:56 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,458 Likes on 2,691 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

WOW! Even my 17 year old (Son) would spot a 63 from 600 yards. You certain this was a man?
Richard Daugird (02-05-2021)
Old 08-04-2020, 06:45 AM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

Driving my car makes me happy. When I am happy I am friendly. When I am friendly I like to wave...other Corvettes or any classic car. Who cares if they don't wave back...don't worry...be happy.

Last edited by Redvette2; 08-04-2020 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Kan't spel.
pigfarmer (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:10 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I wave at all old cars cuz the owner takes the time to keep it running...I wave at all Corvette’s. Especially C4s cuz they ain’t gettin any luv...if I don’t wave to anyone it’s because I didn’t see them...
Old 08-04-2020, 11:35 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
WOW! Even my 17 year old (Son) would spot a 63 from 600 yards. You certain this was a man?
He doesn’t know that I completely disregarded any chance of him doing any work at the house with that comment.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:58 AM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

We do here in Colorado & Wyoming, although some C7 people do not. We talk about this before we do drives in our area to remind people to wave. It also helps break the tension when you meet up with that person/car later on down the road and you want to approach them to check out their ride. It is like a warm call in lieu of a cold call.

Here is the Corvette Wave by Lost Caravan Corvette Club from a number of years back.

Corvette Wave Rules by Dan Woomer (October 23, 2003)

The Corvette Wave is an integral part of the mystique and culture of the Corvette owner experience. Corvette owners who wave at fellow Corvette owners when they pass on the road, show a mark of recognition that you are among the elite group of intelligent people who are driving America's True Sports Car. And as a member of this elite group, you should be recognized for your poise and intelligence. So for those who don't know the five simple Corvette Wave rules, here they are:

1. There is no excuse for not waving at your fellow Corvette owner. Although most Corvette owners have the class and understanding to accept when their wave is not returned, not waving is a serious breach of proper Corvette etiquette.
2. Whoever sees the other Corvette first, starts the wave. There isn't any rule about who waves first. This is simple; if you see another Corvette, wave!
3. Rules 1 and 2 apply to both sexes. As far as who starts the wave, it doesn't make a difference if you are a man or women. Rules 1 and 2 apply.
4. Any type of wave is okay. Whether you shoot a big wave up through your open Vette top, out the window, or a quick salute with your hand on the steering wheel, any wave that can be seen by the other Corvette driver is okay. However, this does not include any style of jester that can be interpreted as obscene or insulting. Remember, Corvette owners are a class act; while someone might have been rude or stupid to you, try not to return the favor. (This is a tough rule not to break with all the stupid drivers who manage to get a driver's license.)
5. A late wave is better than no wave. If you suddenly realize that a Corvette driver is passing and waving at you, get a wave off as soon as possible. The other Corvette driver may see your wave in their rear view mirror and realize that you where just a little late in getting your wave going. Although missing the timing of your wave is a "goof," getting off a wave that the other Corvette driver has a chance to see can acceptably cover this slip-up.

So you can see the underlying concept here is simple: Wave at your fellow Corvette owners, whoever they are, whenever you see them. This will show you are a person who understands the full measure and etiquette that comes with your proud ownership of a Corvette.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:24 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

I have a '68 rally red bb convert and get waved at a lot. I always wave back. Last summer I was moving in city traffic alongside a new C7. When we stopped at a light we were side-by-side, so I yelled over to him "nice car". He yelled back "I'll trade you." I laughed, but then realized mine was paid for, his was probably costing him $$$$$ per month in car payments.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:35 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by ICU2TV
We do here in Colorado & Wyoming, although some C7 people do not. We talk about this before we do drives in our area to remind people to wave. It also helps break the tension when you meet up with that person/car later on down the road and you want to approach them to check out their ride. It is like a warm call in lieu of a cold call.

Here is the Corvette Wave by Lost Caravan Corvette Club from a number of years back.

Corvette Wave Rules by Dan Woomer (October 23, 2003)

The Corvette Wave is an integral part of the mystique and culture of the Corvette owner experience. Corvette owners who wave at fellow Corvette owners when they pass on the road, show a mark of recognition that you are among the elite group of intelligent people who are driving America's True Sports Car. And as a member of this elite group, you should be recognized for your poise and intelligence. So for those who don't know the five simple Corvette Wave rules, here they are:

1. There is no excuse for not waving at your fellow Corvette owner. Although most Corvette owners have the class and understanding to accept when their wave is not returned, not waving is a serious breach of proper Corvette etiquette.
2. Whoever sees the other Corvette first, starts the wave. There isn't any rule about who waves first. This is simple; if you see another Corvette, wave!
3. Rules 1 and 2 apply to both sexes. As far as who starts the wave, it doesn't make a difference if you are a man or women. Rules 1 and 2 apply.
4. Any type of wave is okay. Whether you shoot a big wave up through your open Vette top, out the window, or a quick salute with your hand on the steering wheel, any wave that can be seen by the other Corvette driver is okay. However, this does not include any style of jester that can be interpreted as obscene or insulting. Remember, Corvette owners are a class act; while someone might have been rude or stupid to you, try not to return the favor. (This is a tough rule not to break with all the stupid drivers who manage to get a driver's license.)
5. A late wave is better than no wave. If you suddenly realize that a Corvette driver is passing and waving at you, get a wave off as soon as possible. The other Corvette driver may see your wave in their rear view mirror and realize that you where just a little late in getting your wave going. Although missing the timing of your wave is a "goof," getting off a wave that the other Corvette driver has a chance to see can acceptably cover this slip-up.

So you can see the underlying concept here is simple: Wave at your fellow Corvette owners, whoever they are, whenever you see them. This will show you are a person who understands the full measure and etiquette that comes with your proud ownership of a Corvette.
I’m thinking 2003 is about the time Corvette owners in general stopped waving automatically. It was a real thing in the 70s, 80s and 90s. The idea that you had to write rules for it or remind people before a ride doesn’t surprise me at all. PS, C7 owners are not the only people not waving back.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:41 PM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default wave

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
I’m thinking 2003 is about the time Corvette owners in general stopped waving automatically. It was a real thing in the 70s, 80s and 90s. The idea that you had to write rules for it or remind people before a ride doesn’t surprise me at all. PS, C7 owners are not the only people not waving back.
I totally agree that people don't do it with all generation Corvettes, it is not just a C7 issue. I have done it with my C3/C4/C6/C7 whenever I drive. People just need to be reminded from time to time. it is like this forum on a number of things people should know, wheel issues, where the actual key goes, how to open the rear lid or doors if the battery is dead, how to change the ride on the magnetic ride ****, and so on!

I am going with another 22 cars from Colorado to Jackson Hole, WY, Yellowstone National Park, and then Deadwood, South Dakota, back to Colorado at the end of this month and all of us know The Wave routine and will wave each time we see another Corvette.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:40 PM
210ken
Pro

Received 344 Likes on 183 Posts

Moved to NorCal 3 years ago and noticed that all the classic car owners acknowledge each other with a casual wave. C5 and newer vette drivers seem to have missed the wave memo. Back in the Detroit area (land of the Woodward Dream Cruise) the vette wave was alive and well. If anyone here has attended the Dream Cruise I’m sure you noticed that vintage vettes make up a significant portion of the cars still cruising Woodward. And yes, they wave, cuz it’s the motor city.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 PM
Sir Keith
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 124 Posts

Back when I bought my C3 in the early 70's, the wave was automatic. Now, I may get a wave from other C3's and C2's, but newer Vettes, not so much. The newer cars do wave to me when I'm driving one of my other cars, which looks vaguely like a late-model Corvette from the front (but not at all from other angles). Go figure.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Etiquette

Old 08-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Received 731 Likes on 409 Posts

My daily is a Jeep TJ, or a Trans Am depending on the weather. So basically I'm waving all the time. lol

I always wave at other classic cars.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:13 AM
Secretouting
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by platinummaker
Grew up working on Chevys (57 first car), but for the past 30 years (yes old guy), have had several Jags. I was always in the habit of waving to other Jags, but rarely did any wave back. Now I guess if they were young women I’d understand, but I’ve noticed while driving the 72 coupe,( I’ve owned it for about 7 months), not only do most of the Vettes wave back, but non Vettes issue thumbs up and waves, etc.
I believe it is because even non car people recognize an American icon and it brings them joy to see it on the road. My car is certainly not a show car and is just slightly modified so I’m certain it’s not specific to mine.
Do you you guys/gals wave to other Vettes? Any interesting stories?
I have come to the conclusion that I don’t really own this Vette, I’m just the current caretaker that will take good care of it and ultimately it will end up in someone elses care....but. only when I’m dead!
every time I see a Stingray on the road I dash to get my window down to wave or whatever just acknowledge my love and appreciation for a beautiful car.
Flivver61 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 07:54 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I find the C-1, C-2 guys always acknowledge me in passing in my 68 Big Block. The 68's have come into that respectable category.
The new money vette kids C5 and on just don't get it. It comes from the societal individualism that has fostered itself in the last 40 years.
The older guys in the C-7's are just tired of waving this is their umtinth vette by now.
Just my take.
Marshal

Quick Reply: Vette Etiquette