Sponsored by:

Is this grounding strap normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Turbotrad
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Is this grounding strap normal?

Is this a normal location for a grounding strap on a 1969 350?

It's a braided strap from a valve cover bolt to a bolt on the idler arm. It's worn out and I want to replace it, but I can't seem to find the replacement part on any of the Corvette-themed parts websites. I don't need a correct replacement if this is a non standard setup. I'm mainly just curious.

The following users liked this post:
southwind (06-04-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 AM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Does it have the ground cable connected from the starter brace to the frame? Maybe the design of the headers made that unusable. Never seen that setup before.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:46 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

That cable is not OEM. A previous owner must have felt they needed it for some reason.

68-70 Corvettes used 3 braided ground straps, each about 3-4 inch long. Two of the grounds attached to the transmission crossmember, on each side of the trans, and bolted to the exhaust clamp on each pipe. The third one clipped to the front of the left sill and bolted to the frame by the number one body mount.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Turbotrad
Racer

Originally Posted by sullyman56
Does it have the ground cable connected from the starter brace to the frame? Maybe the design of the headers made that unusable. Never seen that setup before.
No starter brace ground cable. There is a smaller gear reduction starter installed so the typical brace is not present.

Maybe it does have to do with the headers. I love mysteries...
Old 06-03-2019, 02:17 PM
Turbotrad
Racer

Originally Posted by gbvette62
That cable is not OEM. A previous owner must have felt they needed it for some reason.

68-70 Corvettes used 3 braided ground straps, each about 3-4 inch long. Two of the grounds attached to the transmission crossmember, on each side of the trans, and bolted to the exhaust clamp on each pipe. The third one clipped to the front of the left sill and bolted to the frame by the number one body mount.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if this strap even serves any real purpose then. I guess I should search around for those other grounds too to make sure they are where they should be...
Old 06-03-2019, 03:24 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Side exit cars do not have ant ground straps on the trans crossmember. This is a good indicator if the car is an original 1969 N14 car- no cut threads in those holes in the crossmember.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The starter has the positive cable coming directly from the battery to the starter solenoid. The starter needs that SAME pathway for negative side of the system (ground). If no large cable is run from the frame to the starter housing, you WILL have starting problems. Sooner or later, you will have problems.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:10 AM
Turbotrad
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The starter has the positive cable coming directly from the battery to the starter solenoid. The starter needs that SAME pathway for negative side of the system (ground). If no large cable is run from the frame to the starter housing, you WILL have starting problems. Sooner or later, you will have problems.
Well I will confirm my wiring and make sure I had a good ground. Thanks for the tip!

Get notified of new replies

To Is this grounding strap normal?

Quick Reply: Is this grounding strap normal?