which carburetor for my 69 c3

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 10:15 PM
voidusa
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default which carburetor for my 69 c3

hey folks, I need your advice.

I have a very well preserved 69 coupe (L46 350/350) that was originally in Florida (introduced here). The first owner there decided to do some modification to the carburetor... so now I have a chokeless doublepumper, which has 2 mechanical primaries. I live in washington and I need a choke. Vacuum advance is also disconnected... not that it matters too much, but I don't like modifications that don't improve the car.

This is no hotrod and I don't need to get any special performance out of this car, I plan to use it to cruise around and to maintain it over time. I'd like to keep this to the day I die.
If it wasn't for the fact that everyone says the original quadrajet is garbage, I'd go for it. But, given that Quadrajet is garbage I was planning to go for a Holley and I was wondering if it was worth going for a new doublepumper with electrical choke or if it was better to go for a vacuum secondary, which is easier to maintain and I won't notice (I guess) the power decrease (it is also about half the price).

What would you recommend? Any other option that you would recommend?
Old 04-30-2024, 07:17 AM
Newbomb2469
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

First; Did the previous owner change the intake manifold? My guess is he did from the Holley carburetor you describe which is most likely a square bore whereas a Quadrajet is spread bore. If trying to keep costs down…meaning not changing the intake manifold, would think a new Holley would be the most cost effective option, probably one in the 650 CFM range. I’ll leave it to other’s recommendations for good Holley for your engine.
If you want to bring it back to original, a Quadrajet…tuned by Lars…mated to a spreadbore manifold would be a good combination.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:25 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,050 Likes on 813 Posts

Get a good, correct Qjet and have it overhauled by Lars. Be sure to let him bless it before you purchase any carb. Not exactly cheap for the core, but you will only cry once. Next best would be a "close to correct" serviceable Qjet set up by Lars.

Holleys are easy to get, easy to service but a proper Qjet is great, easy to live with, "closed hood" type carb.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:23 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,938 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Originally Posted by voidusa
But, given that Quadrajet is garbage
Someone has blown a lot of smoke up you... It'll run circles around that badly tuned Holley.... The '69 350/350 Q-Jet is one of the best carbs ever installed on a musclecar.

I have a chokeless doublepumper, which has 2 mechanical primaries.
All carbs have mechanical primaries. Sounds like you need to educate yourself a little bit about carbs. You also need to determine if the person who installed the Holley also installed a square-bore intake, or if you have a Q-Jet spreadbore intake with an adapter. You need to install the correct intake for the carb you choose to run - square bore and spreadbore carbs and manifolds are not interchangeable. This will affect costs, so this may drive and limit your decisions.

I have a very well preserved 69 coupe (L46 350/350)
Well, it's not going to be very "well preserved" if you hack it up with a Holley install... But to each his own - if you're wanting to build a custom car out of your 350/350, customize away...

Last edited by lars; 04-30-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:45 PM
Eric P
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 298 Posts

The correct restored Quadrajet by Lars would be unbeatable if you still have the stock manifold

Holley style I prefer vacuum secondaries on street and this would be a real good one
Cast Aluminum Carburetor - Quick Fuel HR-680-VS Hot Rod Series Carvuretor 680 CFM - JEGS - JEGS

Street double pumper I have a couple customers with these that seem to work well
Quick Fuel BR-67254: Brawler Diecast Carburetor 600 CFM - JEGS

Edelbrock AVS2 650 is not a terrible choice either as far as aftermarket
Edelbrock 1906 AVS2 650 CFM Carburetor | Order the Edelbrock AVS2 1906 Carburetor with Annular Flow Primary Boosters - JEGS
Old 05-01-2024, 12:32 AM
voidusa
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Someone has blown a lot of smoke up you... It'll run circles around that badly tuned Holley.... The '69 350/350 Q-Jet is one of the best carbs ever installed on a musclecar.
this is interesting. I totally believe you. Looks like I found bad information online. I'm not familiar with American engines , I am still learning a lot. And my learning source is forums/sites.

All carbs have mechanical primaries. Sounds like you need to educate yourself a little bit about carbs. You also need to determine if the person who installed the Holley also installed a square-bore intake, or if you have a Q-Jet spreadbore intake with an adapter. You need to install the correct intake for the carb you choose to run - square bore and spreadbore carbs and manifolds are not interchangeable. This will affect costs, so this may drive and limit your decisions.
I definitely need to educate myself (main reason I am here). What I learned by posting pictures of my carb in this forums is that it is a "Frankestein" where a 2nd primary has been used to make a "secondary". I will check the intake to confirm whether I have spreadbore or square bore.

Well, it's not going to be very "well preserved" if you hack it up with a Holley install... But to each his own - if you're wanting to build a custom car out of your 350/350, customize away...
well... some mess with carburation has been made, but everything else is really well maintained.
I am planning to keep this as stock as possible but I don't want a garage queen, I want to drive it so I am willing to consider compromises where it makes sense (i.e. I think electric choke is almost a must if I want to buy a new carb).

thanks all for the replies. This is a journey, I'm learning
The following users liked this post:
C6-CYa (05-06-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 04:25 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,658 Likes on 2,809 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Step one. Remove the Carburetor from the intake manifold. 4 nuts and or bolts. A cable, maybe 2. And some vacuum lines. And it's off. Take a pic of the pad it mounts to and post up on here.
Then we can make suggestions. Lars is THE Guy when it comes to the correct Quadrajet carb for your car. But if the intake has been changed. Then there are other ways to solve your problem.
The following users liked this post:
Newbomb2469 (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 05:08 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 785 Likes on 474 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

I put a Holley Street Avenger on my 72 LT-1 but it came with a Holley. I hear the Truck Avenger carbs are good too. If you actually have a Quadrajet manifold the stay with a Quadrajet.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:09 AM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Chiming in with my experience on my 69 (all-original on my purchase last September)…
it is absolutely worth it to use a well-prepared Q-Jet, as others have stated, especially if prepared by Lars, or Cliff Ruggles’ shop. I personally rebuilt the carb, using Cliff’s & Lars’ suggestions… it was night and day difference in response & driveability. If it has a square bore manifold then it MAY be best to use a Holley, if so keep the single pumper unless you’re making over 400 HP. KISS principal.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:19 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Look at the pictures in this other post, number 4. He has a primary metering block installed on the secondary side and the carburetor has a disconnected mechanical choke. Appears to be aftermarket intake.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1607675087

Get notified of new replies

To which carburetor for my 69 c3

Quick Reply: which carburetor for my 69 c3