C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the C3 REALLY needs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:15 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just cut the frame in half... and chop out all the floors to do in aluminum.

The hotrod guys do it all the time... Z the frame just like the kickups on the rear of our cars.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:19 PM
redc3
Melting Slicks

i think your right! forget glass work. ill cover everything in sheet aluminum. now were getting somewhere
Old 02-10-2005, 09:02 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Righhhhttttt...why not just throw the car in the garbage can and buy John Force's funny car?

The point of my post was I DIDN'T want to hack the hell out of my car to install a solid rear axle. I DON'T want to tub it. I DON'T want to back half it. It's easy to throw out these pipe dreams, but my money tree died a LONG time ago. Let's leave the adolescent daydreaming for a different thread and keep the suggestions down on planet Earth

Dep
Old 02-10-2005, 09:20 PM
MR L88
Instructor

I was really hoping somebody felt the same way I did about the Vette IRS!!! I've been looking into the same conversion and have had zero luck! I need to use my stock rear trailing arms and transverse leaf to be legal in NHRA stock.I' sure plenty of Vettes being raced in the stock classes have done this exact conversion.I'm not sure if you need to use the 12 bolt or if a 9in is legal.I'm very interested to see how it can be done WITHOUT back-halfing the car.
Wayne Nelson
Old 02-10-2005, 09:52 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MR L88
I was really hoping somebody felt the same way I did about the Vette IRS!!! I've been looking into the same conversion and have had zero luck! I need to use my stock rear trailing arms and transverse leaf to be legal in NHRA stock.I' sure plenty of Vettes being raced in the stock classes have done this exact conversion.I'm not sure if you need to use the 12 bolt or if a 9in is legal.I'm very interested to see how it can be done WITHOUT back-halfing the car.
Wayne Nelson
Old 02-10-2005, 09:59 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne Nelson
The guy I know that did it told me that he had to use the 12-bolt to compete in the A/Stock class. He just completed a '67 roadster with a Dana axle that competes in Super Stock. I will try to get pics of his install and send them to those of you who are interested.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:26 PM
vetteman1100
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

The Feb. 2005 Hot Rod magazine has an article on building a bullet proof IRS for Drag racing. Probably won't cost anymore to do than putting in a straight axel. Check it out.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:40 PM
EDDIEJ82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wayne Nelson
It could actually easily be done. If very wide tires aren't important. You could probably still get away with running 11-12" wide tires. Pop out the trailing arms, put in some custom length ladder bars, a locator bar and weld a peice of frame connector to mount the coilovers on. You could use any type of rear end you want

The only part I haven't figured out yet is if the rear crossmember that the pinion flange bolts to would let the drive shaft have enough clearance for the rearend travel.

Everything else could be put back to stock pretty easily, if you wanted, but if you have to cut the crossmember and weld in a new peice to follow the body up, instead of the downward arch it has now, that would be a little harder to change back but not that hard if you keep the peice you cut out

Last edited by EDDIEJ82; 02-10-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:13 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

I have to agree with Nova suggestion. The aftermarket has complete front and rear subframes and you can run whatever rear end you want. Even bigblock Novas aren't that expensive if you find one that someone else converted from a base motor car. I picked up a fairly clean '69 with a 396 (soon to have a 496), 4 speed and 12 bolt rear end for $6k. It did have some problems, but I'm pretty sure I'll be into it for less than Dep will after he gets his solid axle rear end.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:46 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DJ Dep
but my money tree died a LONG time ago.
I hear ya dep.... my little shrubling of a money tree shriveled up and died after I bought my vette. I guess the emmissions and fumes did it in.

RIP
Here lies my little money tree
I only regret you didnt get to live life to your fullest
Now Im poor
Old 02-11-2005, 04:02 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Guys...if I wanted a Nova, I would have BOUGHT one in the first place
I just don't like dealing with rust, and I don't know where people are finding Novas with big blocks that are worth a dang for $6000, but in my area they are well over $18,000. That's MORE than I paid for my Vette.
I still think solid axle conversion is doable for a reasonable amount. As far as I'm concerned, all those alleged "bulletproof blah, blah, blah" IRS setups are simply merchandising hype. Look at the rear ends in the drag cars or in NASCAR. They are either Dana 60s or Ford 9". Even the back-halved units use Ford 9". No way hoesay you will ever get me to believe a Mickey-Moused IRS 12-bolt will hold up to consistent abuse.

Dep

Last edited by DJ Dep; 02-11-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:16 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Depster, I ALWAYS agree with you!! BUT If you or anyone else is interested I have a "Strange engineering" spool for a Corvette rear end I would like to sell...solid shaft with two bolt on yokes (NO more side yokes to wear out), and of course the spool itself.....e-mail me direct!!
redvetracr@msn.com
Old 02-11-2005, 06:19 PM
i885744
Pro

You should retitle the thread, "what MY c3 Needs". Every driver's got there preferences. If i were drag racing mine I'd want the solid rear too, but i'm 19 and can't afford such expensive toys so i keep the c3 in daily driver format, its fast, handles great, and gets me where i need to go. IRS is great for the majority of us on the forum, just not you.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, all those alleged "bulletproof blah, blah, blah" IRS setups are simply merchandising hype. Look at the rear ends in the drag cars or in NASCAR. They are either Dana 60s or Ford 9". Even the back-halved units use Ford 9". No way hoesay you will ever get me to believe a Mickey-Moused IRS 12-bolt will hold up to consistent abuse.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:47 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by i885744
You should retitle the thread, "what MY c3 Needs". Every driver's got there preferences. If i were drag racing mine I'd want the solid rear too, but i'm 19 and can't afford such expensive toys so i keep the c3 in daily driver format, its fast, handles great, and gets me where i need to go. IRS is great for the majority of us on the forum, just not you.
Hey pal...if you would have looked PAST the thread title at my FIRST post, you'd have seen me say "Okay...as everyone who knows me is aware...I do NOT race around corners. I am strictly a straight line 1/4 mile man."

If the IRS is adequate for the engine and type of driving you do, then fine and dandy. But for MANY of us, it's a problem just waiting to happen. Look at the others who agree with me on this matter if you don't think so. If you are building any kind of high-horsepower stick shift engine, and are going to USE that horsepower coupled to slicks, then you WILL need to replace that IRS rear end. It's not a matter of if, but WHEN. All those u-joints twirling around are just a bunch of weak links for a drag racer. If you aren't a drag racer or don't beat the crap out of your car, just ignore the thread and move on to the "I love my shiny new chrome radio *****" thread

Dep
Old 02-11-2005, 10:59 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I personally wanted to go with the 9 inch setup, but I decided to go with the 12-bolt IRS setup. Considering that 8 and 9 second cars are using it, I should be ok... The main reason to go with the IRS was time.. I was expecting to get the 12-bolt setup in a couple of weeks.. Now it looks more like it'll be a couple of months
Old 02-11-2005, 11:06 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Olivier: I can be patient to get the Ford unit.
I want to be 100% sure that letting it fly won't result in a chain saw tearing my car up or getting a stub axle shoved up my butt
And if I can get a relatively simple conversion, as Jeff has told me in PM, it would be AWESOME!

Dep

Last edited by DJ Dep; 02-14-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What the C3 REALLY needs

Old 02-11-2005, 11:07 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

For those that have full confidence in the Corvette rear end...check out this interesting thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1013884

Dep
Old 02-11-2005, 11:22 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Olivier: I can be patient to get the Ford unit.
I want to be 100% sure that letting it fly won't result in a chain saw tearing my car up or getting a stub axle shoved up my butt
And if I can get a realtively simple conversion, as Jeff has told me in PM, it would be AWESOME!

Dep

I actually found a local shop that could install a Ford 9 inch in my Vette in 1 - 2 weeks... but it was too late an I already made my deposit on the 12-bolt setup..
Old 02-11-2005, 11:34 PM
SMH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I have started

Center Line Convo Pro Wheels
15x15

Hoosier Pro Street Tires
29.00 x 18.50-15

This is on order. I am collecting parts. It may take me 6months before I start any work. But I have started collecting parts.

Quick Reply: What the C3 REALLY needs