C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! How quickly can I change a starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Help! How quickly can I change a starter?

Assuming I can get all the parts in one go, how hard is it to replace a starter? I think mine's toast and my car won't start, just kinda tries to turn over, then starts clicking. Not the battery cause AAA had a guy out to try to jump it with no luck.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Fubba
Pro

Originally Posted by Buffalo Dude
Assuming I can get all the parts in one go, how hard is it to replace a starter? I think mine's toast and my car won't start, just kinda tries to turn over, then starts clicking. Not the battery cause AAA had a guy out to try to jump it with no luck.
Probably your solenoid. But if you want to change the whole starter out, I can do it in about 10 minutes. But that was after about 8 times in a couple of days trying to get a faulty starter to work. Probably about 30 minutes for you if you've never done it before including getting the tools together and stuff.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:03 AM
midyear1
Instructor

You might want to check the battery and ground cables for clean tight connections first , before you start removing and replacing the starter. And if you do change out the starter , be sure to check the Bendix gear engagement with the ring gear , and shim as needed.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:19 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Typically when it turns over and then starts clicking, its the battery or connections, not the starter. I would make absolutely sure the battery is good, like replace it with a new one. They are cheap.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

After you check the battery & grounds to make sure they are good try tapping the starter w/a hammer & try to start. Tap not drive home a 10 penny nail. If it is the starter buy a mini-starter or OEM replacement and replace it. Its a one hour job, two if its your first time. Easy I changed many, two on the side of a road/parking lot. G/L
Old 01-11-2007, 09:44 AM
75 Red Vert
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just one thing before you go changing that starter.

After you have tried starting the car and it has gone to the clicking, open the battery compartment and feel both battery cables. If one of the cables is hot, could be that your starter is not getting enough umph from the battery to start the car. Check the connections.

My battery cables were corroded after 30 years. The corrosion was inside the plastic. New cables and she starts every time now.

If both cables are cool to the touch - head for the starter.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Safty first...I know this sounds stupid..but worse has happened. Disconnect the battery ground wire FIRST, also,do NOT have head under starter when it relases,,its heavy.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
Typically when it turns over and then starts clicking, its the battery or connections, not the starter. I would make absolutely sure the battery is good, like replace it with a new one. They are cheap.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Mikes*Corvettes
Pro

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
do NOT have head under starter when it relases,,its heavy.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

So I'm hearing this is what I should check:

-Recheck battery
-make sure all connections are tight
-move on to working on starter

Old 01-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by midyear1
You might want to check the battery and ground cables for clean tight connections first , before you start removing and replacing the starter. And if you do change out the starter , be sure to check the Bendix gear engagement with the ring gear , and shim as needed.
What am I checking for and how do I do that? There's nothing in the repair manual about it.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Look at the teeth on the flywheel/ring gear. The contact should be almost all the way to the bottom of the teeth, and centered. You don't want the contact too deep, the starter will hang, or too shallow, it will break the teeth off. That's what the shims are for. Usually, if there are no shims installed, you won't need them.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 AM
wallemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

So I'm hearing this is what I should check:

-Recheck battery
-make sure all connections are tight
-move on to working on starter

1) Recheck the battery.
2) Clean all connections.
3) Feel the wires from the battery to the starter looking for heat to try and determine if there is a short in one of the battery cables themselves.
4) Check the solenoid.
5) Proceed to the starter.

Usually if it is the starter itself the thing won't click or anything. Nothing happens at all.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Success!! For those interested, I replaced the battery and all is well. Brought in the old battery just to see what the guy would say and he said "it's a good battery, it's your starter."

I'm still a little puzzled as to why AAA couldn't jump it. I can only assume the jump pack wasn't attached properly, or it didn't have enough charge. I guess that's what I get for assuming someone else knows what they're doing.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Whiplash71
Instructor

Success!! For those interested, I replaced the battery and all is well. Brought in the old battery just to see what the guy would say and he said "it's a good battery, it's your starter."

I'm still a little puzzled as to why AAA couldn't jump it. I can only assume the jump pack wasn't attached properly, or it didn't have enough charge. I guess that's what I get for assuming someone else knows what they're doing.
If the old battery really was good I'd say you have a wiring problem or bad wiring connection to the battery. When you removed the old battery and put in the new one you could have jiggled something back into contact or you made a better connection to your battery.

My thought is that if your starter turned at all and then started clicking it's an electrical problem not the starter. Bad starters usually will turn and then not turn due to a flat spot. Solenoids can get burnt up if they aren't shielded properly from the exhaust and cause all kinds of weird problems.

I'd still double check the positive connection to the battery and starter as well as the ground from the battery to the frame. It's a simple thing to check. Also check the entire cable from the battery to the starter and to the frame to make sure the insulation is in tact and isn't rubbing up against some metal somewhere.

Glad it's running.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:07 PM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, your Vette won this round--it would have been cheaper and easier to change the starter then the battery.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by PhotoVette1
Actually, your Vette won this round--it would have been cheaper and easier to change the starter then the battery.
You're right, damn batteries are expensive.

I'm 99% sure it was strictly a battery issue because I don't drive my car as much as I'd like to, which means it sits for long periods of time. I put a volt meter on it and when I cranked it, it would drop down to 7.5V. Now it fires up like a champ.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! How quickly can I change a starter?

Quick Reply: Help! How quickly can I change a starter?