C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Wiper door and wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:29 PM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 Wiper door and wiper problem

Hello,

As a follow up to my headlight fix (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1562083312) I have a new little issue. My wipers never really worked correctly since I bought the car. Let me explain the behavior.

I push the wiper button to the left. Nothing happens. I use the wiper door override below the wheel. Wiper door goes open nicely. I push the wiper switch left again. Wiping starts. Push it to the right, wiping heavier. All great.

Now the problem. I switch wiper switch to middle position. Wiping stops. I close the door using the door override switch. But when the door is almost closed, the right wiper suddenly goes up just a little, blocking the wiper door. it goes open again. Wiper goes little bit up, then down again. Door does the same, but again wiper blocks door ... and so on and on.

To solve this, I switch of my Vette. Carefully I manually open de wiper door. When I do this (with Vette motor off!!) the right wiper goes up a little. I push it in and close the door manually.

Also, I think I have an electrical leak somewhere, cause when I don't disconnect the battery, after a week or so, it is as good as empty. I mention this, because I was thinking. The wiper door uses vacuum, the wipers themselves are electrical. Does this sound like an electrical issue? A short maybe?

Anybody any experience with this? Any tips on how I can correctly set up the wiper mechanism? searched the forum, but didn't really find much detail on the wiper mechanism.

Thank you in advance. opinions welcome.

Cheers,
Maarten
Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know very little about this system but I believe there is a switch the door trips when it is closed to let the wiper system know the door is open and the wipers can operate. If that switch is not functioning then it makes sense that the wiper motor would not work properly depending on the position of that door.

I would check or replace that switch.

Other than that I don't know enough about the system to accurately diagnose it all.

Any chance you can get some video of how it all happens and post it through Photobucket?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll have to check but it sounds like your switch positions are backwards?? I thought to the left was off then low then fast.Push in is washer and low speed.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:09 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i think DW is on the right track. but if you haven't had the dash open, and no one has messed with the switch, check the electrical connection to the wiper motor first(easiest to check). then check the relay that's under the console.
jeff
Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

As for your battery going dead, you could have a short in the wiper motor.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:39 PM
MikeMc71
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
As for your battery going dead, you could have a short in the wiper motor.

OR...anywhere else in the car. It sounds to me like you have a wire switched somewhere, either on the motor or the switch. To avoid confussion, get the wiper moter working properly FIRST, with the door off the car. Once that works, get the linkage and system working for the door with the door still off. When that all works, put the door back on. I have had to rebuild the system on both of my cars. Just take your time and get one thing working at a time.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:39 PM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Guys I need some help here.

I've got the Haynes repair manual, but it just isn't enough.

First of all, DW is correct, left is off, and right is on. Also the case with my Vette. My mistake. Sorry.

I did some more testing today, and this is what I've noticed.

When I push the wiper button to the right, nothing happens. I have to open the doorst first using the override pull, then I can switch the wipers on.

But here is the strange part. When I switch to the left, the wipers go down. Then I close the door. But when the door is almost closed, the wipers are being activated again slightly. This happens at a certain wiper door position. When I turn of the car, an pull the wiper door open manually, also at a certain possition, the wipers start again, even with the switch to the off position.

I have a feeling there is something seriously wrong with the connection between the electrical en vacuum systeem.

I also have a strange feeling this might have something to do with the battery leak, cause the wiper will only stop with this behavior when I disconnect the battery. (but this I will check)

Jeff, can you maybe post some pictures of the electrical connection and the relays? I have trouble with this (I'm an amateur).

Also, is there perhaps a website I can find more info on? Or a good guide or something (Not Vette101 - know it and love it, but hasn't got any wiper/wiper door info).

Thanks
Maarten
Old 09-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Maarten,
I would recommend that you get the AIM (Assembly Manual), Chassis Service Manual, and the Shop Manual for your particular car. These will have the kind of information you really need and will help you to get to know your car.
Many vendors have them and so does the store on the NCRS site.
The lights and wipers can be a real mystery on these cars, but once you learn how they are intended to operate , YOU can get YOURS to work too.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Maarten...check the "CASE" of your wiper motor and see if it has 12 volts on it.It should be grounded but I suspect you might have the wiper ground on the positive terminal at the starter solenoid.Check down at the starter solenoid and see if you have a 14 gage black wire going to the large terminal on the starter solenoid.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:41 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I think the guys above have a line on the problem.... it could be that the electrical connector on the wiper switch (upper gauge console) is reversed. You should move the switch to the right to turn it on [not to the left]. Moving it to the left should operate the windshield washers. It sounds like the electrical system is messed up, and that connector might do that. If someone else has a photo of that connector attached correctly, that might help you see if that is your problem.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:24 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. Sounds a bit complex for a newby, but I'm gonna check it with my dad (he has more experience with electrical systems). I definetely need to order those shop manuals!

On a side note, anyone knows where the fusebox is situated in a 72? I also like to start check the battery drain. If it is also on the wiper circuit, that would be a plus.

OH yeah, 71Vette, to the left is also on with my Vette. Was my mistake at first. Left is on (High and low), right is of. Pushing the button is washer ...

Thanks,
Maarten
Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 AM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maarten, there are troubleshooting pamphlets available from Mid America, Dr. Rebuild and others that do a good job of simplifying the wiper and headlight systems- you might want to take a look at one of these. Good luck
Old 09-30-2007, 12:23 PM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Okay, thank you, I'll have a look into those.

I've found the fusebox. I've noticed that I have round, glass type fuses (ols model). I've also checked with an AMP meter and I have a electricity drain of about 250 mili amps. What I like to do now is remove the fuses one by one and see if I can find the circuit responsible for the drain. Can I remove the glass fuses? If so, how? Can I just use a plier and pull the out?

Gonna buy myself a camera next week so I can post pictures, will make life easier.

Maarten

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Wiper door and wiper problem

Quick Reply: 1972 Wiper door and wiper problem