C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft Balance???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by croaker
It Is. One thing I'm gonna try one day is to try turning the drive shaft end for end it looks the same on both ends. Has anyone ever cured a vibe problem like this you always read about them but hardely ever hear of cures. Good luck hugie keep us posted
I guess I should have said engine rpm related. If it does it at the same rpm no matter which gear then I would think it is engine related.You said earlier when pushing in on the clutch it went away...the transmission,drive shaft,rear end and etc. is still going the same speed including the clutch disc when coasting.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:24 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Did you have the tires balanced on a GSP9700 road force balancer? If not, you could have a harmonic vibration in the tire itself. www.gsp9700.com has a shop locater.

This is what you have to look for especially for higher speeds. A buddy of mine has a C5 and likes to fly. He had a vibration at higher speeds and had his tires balanced repeatedly
Finally had it road force balanced and it took care of it.

Little more money but worth it.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Bill Ehri
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what's worth, here's what I did with a slower speed vibration (60 to 70 mph) with my '74:

1. Balanced tires;
2. Had an alignment;
3. Replaced Goodyear tires with Firestone;
4. Snugged up steering box;
5. Replaced two drive line U-joints;
6. Replaced worn idler arm;
6. Turned drive shaft around, there is a front and back but who knows
if it makes a difference;
7. Had rims tured and;
8. Experimented with tire pressure (I checked with Firestone Tech
and obtained speed/pressure range).

Everything seemed to help a little, the rim truing and tire pressure really made a difference. It seems high tire pressure on I-95 at 70 mph was part of problem. The trucks really do a number on the road and Corvette suspension, at least mine which is not stock (composite rear spring and 255/60R15 tires) seems to wonder and bounce a little.

If you want to have the rims trued you will have to look around, seems today the shops only want to work on alloy rims. Hope this helps. Bill
Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I GOT IT!!! BUT it looks like crap I went to my BMW dealer after standing on my head and spitting wooden nickels he balanced my tires for a cash only deal. The only problem was one wheel that will not balance without putting a weight on the front of the rim and it looks like crap but it works. I have one more trick I can use and that is break the bead, rotate the tire 180 degrees and rebalance. WELL thats my report. I want to thank everyone who helped me and I hope this thread helps anyone else who has this problem
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

A shaft will become IMbalanced if it has a bend ... even a slight tweak or twist can cause imbalance. It may take a driveshaft shop to detect this.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Balance???