C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what is the deal with Edelbrock carbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:51 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Same cornering (cutting out) problems with an Edelbrock (since it was new, too) on a car I had years ago...Irritating to say the least.
It eventually went in the trash.

The seem to be calibrated for a stock replacement scenario, the off idle hesitation is common-If you want to keep it youllhave to play with it.
Personally I prefer the new Holley carbs they have come a long way.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:22 AM
jdunne
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with edel 750 is now over;however there were two problems with it;#very sensitive to fuel pressure...any more than 6 psi led to flooding.....#2 the accelerator pump seal wasn't sealing properly and i got a pronounced off idle burp/stumble that i couldn't manage out no matter what combination of rods/valves adjustments i used....other that that ran well on a strong 383...the holley 750 vac sec was easier to set up....john
Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by gkull
I used an Edl 750 carb on a single plane for 10 years.

during that 100,000 miles I went around a few turns without a carb problem.

If you can run out a float bowl .......... your fuel pressure is low

I had the Edl carb when I ran some Nevada open road races. The Silver state classic is 92 miles long and I averaged right below my class limited average of 150 mph. with slow 50-60 mph turns and 174 mph on the straights
So what did you do differently?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I've been running the Edel 750 mech dp on my 383 stroker for @ 5 yrs now it replaced a Holley 750 mech. dp that leaked. Seat of pants feel was that right out of the box I was giving up hp at the top end (over 5700 rpm) but that carb has run beautifully for these yrs and no worries of leaking. For @ $200 for a refurbished unit I sure have no complaints.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:10 AM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been running an Edelbrock dual-quad setup (2 X 500CFM) for a couple of years now. No hesitation off idle, but I did experience one episode of engine stall after a sharp left turn - that was when I was "shaking down" the car after its rebuild, and I would imagine that the fuel regulator was set too low (I don't know for sure what the fuel pressure was set to - too long ago to remember).
Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 AM
kirkwoodken
5th Gear

Joe Sherman WON the Engine Masters with an 800 Eddy. It ca't be as bad as everyone says it is.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru_4_hire
I have been trying to get a feel for edelbrock carbs.

Seems the common complaints are:
1.) bowl capacity
2.) Flooding while cornering (float height according to edelbrock)

Other than that they seem to be a darn good carb for easy tuning, and every day reliability. They are junk, get over it that is two pretty big complaints! That is like saying your tires are great exept they are bald and flat!

So I am building a 396 small block. I am thinking about a decent hyd roller.(its a roller block) For a stroked out CI like that you need a 750 CFM carb at least, don't let the conservatives try to under cut your needs or your just wasting that engine, myself I would run an 850 double pumper, I like to use all my horsepower, but thats just me.

Joe Sherman WON the Engine Masters with an 800 Eddy. It ca't be as bad as everyone says it is.
Engine stands don't make left hand turns.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:32 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The Edelbrock carb (Carter AFB re-make) is a simple, inexpensive, readily-available carburetor that serves a purpose on mildly used street machines. For normal driving, they are relatively trouble-free.

As a performance carb, they suck, IMO. If you are drag racing, the Holley is your best choice, as it can be tweaked quickly for optimum power output under different track/weather conditions. But, as an "all-around" carb that can perform well, make smooth transitions from idle/off-idle/cruise/WOT, and be economical, too...the Q-Jet is the champ.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

in almost every case when someone said it only needs a 650 the car ran better with a bigger carb. ratings between companies are not standardized and are a "suggested serving " like a t.v dinner
Old 10-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The cornering/stumbling issue with afb style carbs is due to a "trough" cast into the main body of the carburetor. It can be seen in the picture below above and to the right of jet "B" at the back of the carb.

High lateral g's allow fuel to transfer from one side of the carburetor to the other. This results in flooding on one side ans a lean condition on the other - not good. The trough is there to equalize air pressure from side to side; but it is redundant due to the bowl vents. A generous dab of epoxy right in the middle of this trough will solve your problem.

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 10-21-2012 at 03:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kevmills67 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:49 AM
kevmills67
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Theiskell
Mine has webber on the side of it
My Edebrock says Magneti Marelli on it.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:59 AM
kevmills67
8th Gear

Originally Posted by olescarb
the edelbrock carbs are a good carb (under 650 cfm) for a mild performance engine unless you like to go around corners hard, the design of the fuel bowl and the jet placement cause the fuel to wash away from the jets on one side of the carburetor if you corner hard in one direction and if you turn the other way the jets on the other side will have the same problem.

the off-idle/transistion system is not designed to supply enough fuel for most engines on the 750 & 800 cfm carbs of this design, that is why so many of the owners of these carbs will complain of a lean off idle hesitation problem at part throttle. The fuel bowl volume/size is the same with all the afb/performer and avs/thunder carbs from 500 to 800 cfm. The only real change they do to the off road carbs is a spring loaded needle and seat so i see no advantage to that for a application such as a Corvette.

the 600 and 650 cfm carbs from Edelbrock are good carbs and easy to adjust but they do have thier limitations so if you are after maximum power think about a Holley, Quick Fuel or Demon carb (or a Q-jet).

the Edelbrock carbs are made by Weber (Magneti Marelli) who bought the patents from Carter so they are the same basic carb but the calibrations are slightly different.

henry @ olescarb
I got so tired of Holleys leaking. I have a 800 CFM Edelbrock Performer on an Edelbrock Air Gap intake with an Isky cam cut specifically for the engine and drive train on an AMC 401 (no, not in a Vette, all of my Vettes are Fuel Injected) in a Jeep Grand Wagoneer and it kicks a$$. I don't corner hard in a Wagoneer but do use it off roading and have not had an issue.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:10 AM
kevmills67
8th Gear

Originally Posted by gkull
I used an Edl 750 carb on a single plane for 10 years.

during that 100,000 miles I went around a few turns without a carb problem.

If you can run out a float bowl .......... your fuel pressure is low

I had the Edl carb when I ran some Nevada open road races. The Silver state classic is 92 miles long and I averaged right below my class limited average of 150 mph. with slow 50-60 mph turns and 174 mph on the straights
Exactly!!! You need to check your float level, make sure your metering pin is good and make sure you have enough fuel being delivered to your carb, pump and pressure.
Another point to make is, everyone thinks getting the bigger carb means more power. You need to match the carb to the demands of your engine. Most engines aren;t going to move as much air as you think. Figure out how much air at most your engine can move, this has to do with your MAX RPM and displacement, also your valves, head and intake flow and even your exhaust. Do the numbers and I think most people would be surprised.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:19 AM
kevmills67
8th Gear

Originally Posted by bozzman3
Let me sum it up.Make a sharp fast u turn and the Eldelbrock carb will out of 10 times stall the engine if you don't play with the gas pedal.Almost all Edelbrock carbs have some sort of hesitation just off idle or on very hard accel.The carb has limited amounts of tune-ability,such as only 3 adjustments for the accelerator pump.The good stuff about them they holes a tune very well and have a great idle.They also can adjusted for fantastic mpg.Easy to install.
Have a newer 800 CFM Edelbrock Performer made by Magneti Marelli on a built AMC 401 in a Grand Wagoneer. I can mash the pedal with it in 4 wheel drive and spin all of the wheels while it just sits there. That whole bit about hesitation on acceleration bit doesn't ring true. Too many people don't know how to truly tune a carb or make sure they have the right carb for their engine, intake, heads, etc.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:57 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

You're responding and talking to a thread that's 8 years old. It's dead.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Brian74n81
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
You're responding and talking to a thread that's 8 years old. It's dead.
Its interesting however. Please tell us your thoughts!
Old 03-09-2018, 05:30 PM
tomgallucci57
Racer

so,,,is ben lurkin right.i have off idle hesitation,,hate it,,tried different things etc etc a dab of epoxy,,which should be removable if wanted,,in trough. what do you think mr. lars tom in cleveland,oh.

Get notified of new replies

To So what is the deal with Edelbrock carbs

Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 PM
tomgallucci57
Racer

oh yah, its a 1406 edelbrock . tom in cleveland 327 4 speed
Old 03-09-2018, 05:37 PM
tomgallucci57
Racer

no vacuum leaks im aware of. a dab of ? in the trough. just to test it.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:27 PM
Heus
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

The new AVS 650 that I purchased was returned after I could not for the life of me get rid of a mid range lean condition. No matter what combination of metering rods, jets, and springs I used I could not get rid of the lean condition. Put on a summit 600 out of the box with no adjustment at all and it ran great.

Quick Reply: So what is the deal with Edelbrock carbs