C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling an engine - To lift plate or not???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Fuelie74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by torqvette
I used a lift plate to lift my 383, bolted to my T56 at the most extreme angle. (Using the front most of the three holes) It was bolted to an ALUMINUM manifold. Never had any problems.

THE REASON I DID IT THIS WAY: I was pulling the original L48 out using the chain and two of the head bolts, jacked the motor up 2 inches and the bolts ripped free from the head! And the motor dropped! Thank god that didn't happen over the fenders.
You should never just run a bolt threw a chain and thread it into the head. That will side load the bolts in a way they are not designed to take. You should bolt lifting brackets tight to the heads then atatch your chain to them.

I would also never trust a lifting plate on the intake. Just because some people have done it and didn't have a problem doesn't mean its a good idea.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by torqvette
I used a lift plate to lift my 383, bolted to my T56 at the most extreme angle. (Using the front most of the three holes) It was bolted to an ALUMINUM manifold. Never had any problems.

THE REASON I DID IT THIS WAY: I was pulling the original L48 out using the chain and two of the head bolts, jacked the motor up 2 inches and the bolts ripped free from the head! And the motor dropped! Thank god that didn't happen over the fenders.
Number one mistake, you don't pull the motor with just two heads bolts.

Number two mistake as stated above and you can see in the pic I posted you don't bolt the chain directly to the head, you use the brackets than come with the engine leveler and you tighten them securely and you will have success next time
Old 05-17-2008, 07:18 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Number one mistake, you don't pull the motor with just two heads bolts.

Number two mistake as stated above and you can see in the pic I posted you don't bolt the chain directly to the head, you use the brackets than come with the engine leveler and you tighten them securely and you will have success next time
Didn't bolt the chain to the head, I bolted the supplied brackets to the heads. Although, I did NOT use an engine leveler with 4 bolts in the head/ 2 chains. And it seems obvious that that would be the best/ strongest way to anchor an engine. Larger bolts and 4 of them.

But I stand by what I said, I'd pick a lift plate over a chain with just the 2 bolts. Two bolts aren't enough, apparently.

Last edited by enkeivette; 05-17-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:11 PM
pj_corvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Me running the lift, Don keeping everything clear, Mike keeping an eye on everything on his side. We used a leveler and it allows you to get the correct angles on the setup going in.

What kind of cherry picker did you guys use there? We tried pulling my engine/tranny yesterday from the front, but the cherry picker I have is too short.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I wouldn't use one of those manifold lift plates to lift a motor over the fender of a Corvette

I'm sure many have done it and will say it's OK but I would get the proper equipment for removing and installing the motor

]

Here's mine ready for install.

Safely secure, tipped and slidding home...

Eddie

Quick Reply: Pulling an engine - To lift plate or not???