C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using A Oil Additive For Flat Tappet Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:32 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The point a lot of people are missing is the fact that the new flat tappet grinds have much more aggressive ramp rates and higher lift than they did even 5 years ago. Everybody wants the most power possible out of their build. Adding 1.6 rockers also increases the pressure on the lobes. Fast ramp rates and higher lift produce more power. They also subject the cam lobes to a lot more pressure and require heavier spring rates. The combination of the above and the reduced zink combined is the problem. If you want to pull the most power, go roller. If you won't spring for the extra $ go flat tappet with less radical ramp rates and lower lift but don't expect the big power numbers. There is always a tradeoff.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I use 10W40 Valvoline motorcycle 4 stroke oil which has the highest zinc you'll find on the shelf and it's properties are the same as regular engine oils. I mix this with 10W30 Royal Purple and have had no issues on new flat tappet 1.6 HP cam.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:03 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RIJVETTES
I checked the label, and it says nothing about the specific contents. But if the STP info above is correct, its a cheap additive to use at about 3 bucks for the blue bottle. A lot less than the GM EOS
If you would take the time to look through the link I gave then it will show you with real facts that the new STP does not have the same contents as before.

Quick Reply: Using A Oil Additive For Flat Tappet Motors?