C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X pipe crossover installed, what a difference

Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 AM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

That actually looks like the x-pipe in my Magnaflow system. I bought it a couple months ago, but have yet to install it. When the 5 speed goes in, the pipes will go on. I figure it will be ready to roll after tax season!!!

I look foward to hearing a new clip!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by l88rocket
Take out the H pipe it will sound and run better
Why? Is the H-pipe detrimental in any way? I've never read that anywhere. I'm very happy with how it sounds and runs now.
Bee Jay
Old 03-21-2009, 01:38 PM
mysharkbite
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QuicheLorraine
Nahh the optimum crossover pipe location on any vehicle with headers, is 18" behind the collectors. The only thing is, that in a C3 that's hard to do.
I've also heard this from a muffler shop, they said it didn't make sence to put an H-pipe in because you couldn't get it close enough to the headers.
I have the same crossmember from bowties and was thinking about curving the H-pipe under the tranny mount to keep it within 18".
Old 03-22-2009, 01:33 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Is anyone worried about the heat generated near the rear-end? heat in the differential oil along with natural friction heat being to high? or the extra heat near the composite spring?

Also you plate says 1979, but your rear looks like an 80+ did you do this change? if so how difficult was it? and how much weight did you save?

Last edited by pauldana; 03-22-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I gotta ask. Where is your catalytic converter and how do you get away with not having one in California?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pauldana
Is anyone worried about the heat generated near the rear-end? heat in the differential oil along with natural friction heat being to high? or the extra heat near the composite spring?

Also you plate says 1979, but your rear looks like an 80+ did you do this change? if so how difficult was it? and how much weight did you save?
Check out my batwing mod here:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...g-install.html
The X-pipe doesn't generate any more heat than the non-X pipes.

Last edited by Bee Jay; 03-27-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:06 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Check out my batwing mod here:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...g-install.html
The X-pipe doesn't generate any more heat than the non-X pipes.
Went to your link and it says "page not found" and i would very much like to see it. just is a lot more pipe there covering the underside of the rear with no breather holes... and what about your composite spring? thx!!! p:-)
Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by emccomas
I gotta ask. Where is your catalytic converter and how do you get away with not having one in California?
Thats a secret many of us have...
Old 03-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pauldana
Went to your link and it says "page not found" and i would very much like to see it. just is a lot more pipe there covering the underside of the rear with no breather holes... and what about your composite spring? thx!!! p:-)
Try the batwing mod link now. It's also in my signature.
Bee Jay
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...g-install.html

Last edited by Bee Jay; 03-27-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:43 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,325 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Yep, Didn't expect much from the X pipe since I already had an H pipe, but I was surprised. Maybe someone can explain why. I would advise anyone with an H pipe and their system is still too loud, try an X pipe before you toss the mufflers. I drove the car to work this morning and I had a conversation with the wife. Tonight I'll try the stereo.
Bee Jay
Your H pipe was: too long, not up close to collectors, and of too small a diameter to work correctly.

But I'm one to talk because my three inch system with 3 1/2 in and out mufflers sets off car alarms driving slow in parking lots
Old 05-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

I finally have video of the exhaust sound with X pipe. So here you go. Let me know what you think.
Bee Jay
Before X-pipe:

After X-pipe:

Last edited by Bee Jay; 04-02-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:33 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have a vid of the drone in the car, its hard to tell. Sounds great to me in both vids actually.

The second vid, with X-pipe, sounds better on the vid, only because the first vid seemed to be clipping the sound (pegged out your mic).

Doesnt sound like you lost anything on acceleration, but if the drone is gone, sounds like success to me!!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MN-Brent
Unless you have a vid of the drone in the car, its hard to tell. Sounds great to me in both vids actually.

The second vid, with X-pipe, sounds better on the vid, only because the first vid seemed to be clipping the sound (pegged out your mic).

Doesnt sound like you lost anything on acceleration, but if the drone is gone, sounds like success to me!!
Believe me, the drone is gone. Also the noise level is way down, hard to tell in the video. Also the sound is different, more a growl than a rapid fire machine gun.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Project for Bee Jay

Bee Jay,
You know what you have to do now. Seeing that you already have an H pipe, you must complete the following experiment for the benefit of all of us here.

STEP #1: Cut the H pipe and fit in an operable exhaust heat riser valve and make sure that there are no leaks.

STEP #2: Get a long piece of vacuum hose and connect one end to a good vacuum source on the engine, feed it into the passenger's compartment, and then loop it and run the other end down to the heat riser valve in the H pipe.

STEP #3: Then, with a passenger holding the hose and a pair of pliers, go for a drive and have the passenger squeeze the hose closed at various engine and road speeds, thereby opening and closing the valve, and therefore, the H pipe. Record the different sounds from both inside and out.

STEP #4: Report your findings here so that we all may learn.

Be prepared to become famous! Let's see - Einstein, Von Braun, Bee Jay! I can see it already.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
11 weeks to go
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad your X-pipe made a difference. i have never heard anyone yet say they were happy with a H-pipe over a X-pipe. i think yours sounds heaps better now .love the video below too..should be more like them on here.

Last edited by gingerbreadman1977; 05-19-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Bee Jay,
You know what you have to do now. Seeing that you already have an H pipe, you must complete the following experiment for the benefit of all of us here.

STEP #1: Cut the H pipe and fit in an operable exhaust heat riser valve and make sure that there are no leaks.

STEP #2: Get a long piece of vacuum hose and connect one end to a good vacuum source on the engine, feed it into the passenger's compartment, and then loop it and run the other end down to the heat riser valve in the H pipe.

STEP #3: Then, with a passenger holding the hose and a pair of pliers, go for a drive and have the passenger squeeze the hose closed at various engine and road speeds, thereby opening and closing the valve, and therefore, the H pipe. Record the different sounds from both inside and out.

STEP #4: Report your findings here so that we all may learn.

Be prepared to become famous! Let's see - Einstein, Von Braun, Bee Jay! I can see it already.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
11 weeks to go
Hey, I did major in Physics, I have a Physics degree. And I'm an Aerospace Engineer (rocket scientist). Does it pay good money to be famous. I don't remember Einstien or Von Braun being rich. What kind of car did they drive?
Here is another video.
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 04-02-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Here is another clip. This is fun.
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 04-02-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To X pipe crossover installed, what a difference

Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Evershark
Instructor

I installed an H pipe exactly 18" behind the header collectors, between the transmission mt and crossover. Used 2" pipe connecting to 2.5" duals. The total installation with Magnaflows was a performance improvement but I still have resonance at 14-1500rpms. Too small an H pipe?? Couldn't fit a larger diam in there.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Evershark
I installed an H pipe exactly 18" behind the header collectors, between the transmission mt and crossover. Used 2" pipe connecting to 2.5" duals. The total installation with Magnaflows was a performance improvement but I still have resonance at 14-1500rpms. Too small an H pipe?? Couldn't fit a larger diam in there.

I was always told to use a cross pipe equal or larger than the primary pipes. Try the x-pipe under the rear end. You'll be glad you did. I can't see your entire system, but you might try a large cross pipe toward the rear end. That is what I was gonna try, but my muffler guy had a C6 x-pipe laying around.
Bee Jay
Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
davidarborg
Instructor

Default x-pipe custom exhaust

here's some photos of x-pipe exhausts we have done lately:

3" bigblock

2 1/2" smallblock

Last edited by davidarborg; 02-24-2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: different location pictures

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X pipe crossover installed, what a difference