C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X pipe crossover installed, what a difference

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Default X pipe crossover installed, what a difference

This is my exhaust system. Headers, 2 1/2" pipes, H-pipe behind the headers, and 3" Flowmaster 50s. Everyone loves the sound, people look up the street to see what bad **** is headed their way. At one half throttle, mothers grab their kids and run indoors. At wot, my buds slap high five, and mustang drivers try hard to catch up. Everyone loves it..... except me. Imagine the "wipeout" drummer back in the hatch area, drumming wipeout all the time the engine is running. He drums faster and louder with throttle, but at cruise, about 2000rpm in fourth, he really resonates.

I didn't think an X pipe would make any difference because I already had an H pipe. But my muffler guy had this x-pipe laying around, and nothin' from nothin'. We tried it. Wow! What a difference. The drum sound has been replaced with a higher pitched roar, and the overall volume is down. I think the wife and I can have conversation now. I'm a believer, and I love my flowmasters again. It doesn't look like much, but it works.

This is what it used to sound like. I'll have to record the new sound.

After X-pipe installed:

Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 04-02-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Thats where I installed my X pipe too. It does improve the sound .....lot less resonance at cruising speeds.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So in the picture you have an H-pipe and an X-pipe.... interesting.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Crash80
So in the picture you have an H-pipe and an X-pipe.... interesting.
Yep, Didn't expect much from the X pipe since I already had an H pipe, but I was surprised. Maybe someone can explain why. I would advise anyone with an H pipe and their system is still too loud, try an X pipe before you toss the mufflers. I drove the car to work this morning and I had a conversation with the wife. Tonight I'll try the stereo.
Bee Jay
Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Do you feel the overall volume was lessened inside the car and out, or was the resonance inside the biggest improvement?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Crash80
Do you feel the overall volume was lessened inside the car and out, or was the resonance inside the biggest improvement?
Sounds quieter in the car and when I stand behind it. I knew immediately when my muffler guy fired it up to check for leaks. It still has a healthy bark and is not near as quiet as a new Vette.

Last edited by Bee Jay; 03-17-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 52 Posts

I am surprised that more people don't run an X-pipe. I did some DynoJet runs a few years back that showed a measurable horsepower difference between no X-pipe and with an X-pipe.

The sound is just the icing on the cake.

Steve
Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 632C2
I am surprised that more people don't run an X-pipe. I did some DynoJet runs a few years back that showed a measurable horsepower difference between no X-pipe and with an X-pipe.

The sound is just the icing on the cake.

Steve
Was my H pipe doing anything for me?
Bee Jay
Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Bee Jay
My experience on the DynoJet says no. Others may disagree but this is just what I have seen.

Steve
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

And my experience with an X-pipe was very unsatisfying ....
produced an extended resonant drone from 1200 right through to 2200, and lost all its characteristic 60's muscle car v8 burble.
Sounded like a late model single pipe LS1

To each their own, I guess.

I removed it, and now only have a narrow band (1200~1250rpm) where it drones. And it sounds like a muscle car again. Don't sit at that rpm, so not really an issue now.

The combo of H pipe and the location of X pipe further back is obviously a new approach. Keen to hear the new system.
cheers
tom
Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Someone commented that my exhaust sounded smoother and didn't have the harsh bark anymore. He didn't know I had modified the exhaust, so that was an unsolicited comment. He likes the sound. I like growl more than bark too. I guess since I have both the H pipe and the X pipe, I have no drone or resonance now. Another benefit, I can hear the tires losing traction now, instead of just feeling it.
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 03-20-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyTom
And my experience with an X-pipe was very unsatisfying ....
produced an extended resonant drone from 1200 right through to 2200, and lost all its characteristic 60's muscle car v8 burble.
Sounded like a late model single pipe LS1

To each their own, I guess.

I removed it, and now only have a narrow band (1200~1250rpm) where it drones. And it sounds like a muscle car again. Don't sit at that rpm, so not really an issue now.

The combo of H pipe and the location of X pipe further back is obviously a new approach. Keen to hear the new system.
cheers
tom
It's actually very important as to where you place the pipes.

There's a technique for picking out where to place an H-pipe which involves painting both sides, driving the car, finding the hot spots and then connecting them via pipe. I'm sure there's a technique for X-pipes as well, but I'm not aware of it.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

I found this in the October 2008 Motor Trend test of the ZR-1.
"The difference between the 7.0 liter basso rumble and the ZR1's baritone roar is striking. Sure there are bigger lugs on the Z06, but the difference has more to do with what happens in the tunnel. Both use two big pipes with a crossover, but the Z06 has an H-configuration with a short connector pipe that simply allow the reverberations to bounce between pipes. The ZR1 uses an X connection that commingle the actual exhaust. The H-pipe setup tends to preserve a slightly rougher second-order sound in each pipe, while the X (or any single-exhaust system) results in a higher fourth-order sound....."

And I found this in the Hedman Hedders catologue. " The tangentially siamesed crossover junction of Hedman's X-treme Exhasut Equalizer System, synchronizes the exhaust pulsed to eliminate firing order pressure differences between the right and left banks of the exhaust manifolds, or hedders. The firing order of all production V8's has one cylinder in each bank that will fire within 90 degrees of crankshaft rotation from another cylinder in the same bank. These two cylinders expel, nearly simultaneously into the same manifold system, and compete for limited exhasut volume. This causes a loss of power and poor fuel economy. Full length, 4 tube headers help separate these pulses. However, once the gasses reach the hedder collector, the two cylinders again fight for space in the exhaust pipe. Hedmans's X-treme equalizer system, splits the exhaust flow so the pressures on both banks will be equal and pulse free after the crossover, regardless of the RPM. The volumetric efficiency of your entire exhaust system is improved at all engine speeds, and that means more power out of the very same engine"

I guess I gave up the 60's muscle car sound, but the sound is smoother and not as loud, and I might have picked up a horsepower or two.

Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 03-25-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Bee Jay
That is what I was wondering, at least in terms of the sound difference you hear. I guess my question would be, had you gone with the X-pipe set up first/only, would the results have been the same in terms of sound? I am running straight duals, delta flow 50's, no interconnect pipe of any kind and it can get brutal inside the car. I love the sound outside the car and actually wish it were louder but I am afraid with the X-pipe, I will lose even more volume and snarl.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 PM
dp9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on a side note, i noticed you had a tubular trans cross member, where did you get that?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

We need a new sound clip!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 PM
QuicheLorraine
Racer

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
It's actually very important as to where you place the pipes.

There's a technique for picking out where to place an H-pipe which involves painting both sides, driving the car, finding the hot spots and then connecting them via pipe. I'm sure there's a technique for X-pipes as well, but I'm not aware of it.
Nahh the optimum crossover pipe location on any vehicle with headers, is 18" behind the collectors. The only thing is, that in a C3 that's hard to do.

Get notified of new replies

To X pipe crossover installed, what a difference

Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dp9
on a side note, i noticed you had a tubular trans cross member, where did you get that?
Bowtie Overdrive
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml

Bee Jay
Old 03-21-2009, 03:13 AM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

Take out the H pipe it will sound and run better
Old 03-21-2009, 04:27 AM
dp9
Racer

thanks for the info. too bad i have a th350, damn.

the exhaust looks great tho. good spot for the X.

Quick Reply: X pipe crossover installed, what a difference