C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydroboost went Hydrobust!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsinx
There's no way I can bottom out my pedal. I'll smash myself through the back of the seat before that pedal bottoms out. cheers:

Can't bottom out the pedal to save my soul...It just ain't happenin'
Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

But still, Gene, you're not pushing against air. You're pushing steel rods that ultimately mate to a hydraulic cylinder. Foot -> Pedal -> Push Rods -> Piston -> Fluid ... that order doesn't change regardless of if you have manual, vacuum, or hydroboost brakes. And if you were able to bottom out your pedal when you still had vacuum assist then you had something else wrong. There's no way I can bottom out my pedal. I'll smash myself through the back of the seat before that pedal bottoms out. And I can honesly lock all 4 wheels up with my big toe. Hell if I didn't get 10 mpg, I'd drive up to Jax and let you take it for a spin.
RONG, you have that input pin/shaft, that goes to a SPRING that in turn goes to the output shaft/pin to m/cyl.....I tore apart my old booster wondering WTF was rong, it's same essential design as was in another car some decades ago.....it's that spring in there that has something to do with the operation of the unit, all I know is when doing a DIRECT A-B changeover, one of my goals was to PROVE the point about my actual brakes being good from the m/cyl input piston to the rotors, and so I pulled the m/cyl off the booster, stuck on the HB, bled it through, and remounted the m/cyl to the HB unit....started the engine, went forward a inch, stopped, back a inch stopped, backed down the drive, noticing about less than 1/2 the brake pedal travel to stop the car, then drove down the street, and hit it per habit....planted my nose into the steering wheel....

NOW, show me how in hell that is not a definitive proof test....

CASE CLOSED.....and I found NO defects in my vacuum assist booster when taking it apart...it held vac fine until i popped that check valve outta the grommet, and it was completely intact internally, nothing seemed outta place or worn...

so, it's been that way since I put the HB on there....

I did have a front hose collapse on my, so 2 new hoses and a caliper O ring set, just as before...and 2 new rotors....

but that had nothing to do with the HB setup....
Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GDaina

Can't bottom out the pedal to save my soul...It just ain't happenin'
see my above note, bet I could, easy....you all must have small feet.....size 14XXX here....and I can assure you they hurt with arthritis, so hate using much pressure on them, hurts to walk even....

Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Well, let me summarize it that way : I lost any hope with my brakes, (new 4 calipers, new m/c, new 4 braided lines .. still far from good stopping performance), but after having the HB, its much more than day/night difference! .. It is the BEST brakes I've ever experienced! ..

Note that I'm not talking about stopping distance alone, I mean the pedal feel, sensitive-ness of the pedal, and the stopping power, all are PERFECT!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
see my above note, bet I could, easy....you all must have small feet.....size 14XXX here....and I can assure you they hurt with arthritis, so hate using much pressure on them, hurts to walk even....

You don't read very well Gene, I have manual brakes, manual, not vacuum, no booster..size 11 shoes here...

Bet you can't bottom out my pedal...only way your shoes will touch the floorboard if yo tilt them downward and then yo itty bitty toe will barely touch...so case closed...Iz have spoken...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:56 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GDaina
You don't read very well Gene, I have manual brakes, manual, not vacuum, no booster..size 11 shoes here...

Bet you can't bottom out my pedal...only way your shoes will touch the floorboard if yo tilt them downward and then yo itty bitty toe will barely touch...so case closed...Iz have spoken...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HamadUP
Well, let me summarize it that way : I lost any hope with my brakes, (new 4 calipers, new m/c, new 4 braided lines .. still far from good stopping performance), but after having the HB, its much more than day/night difference! .. It is the BEST brakes I've ever experienced! ..

Note that I'm not talking about stopping distance alone, I mean the pedal feel, sensitive-ness of the pedal, and the stopping power, all are PERFECT!
Exactly my experiences, and with more than just a shark too, actually the shark was the worst of the bunch, but it took someone like Norval to finally convince me to try HB, and damn if he wasn't right, which is when I tore into my old vac booster, wondering if in fact it was defective, in spite of it being like all other vac assisted cars...and sure enough, it was intact, like I said...so I just wrote it off as poor design for a 4wd disc car, but once in production starting in '65....well for something toss out to the engineering staff in say '63, not so awful evil...but gotta consider that '63 has been a while ago...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

RONG, you have that input pin/shaft, that goes to a SPRING that in turn goes to the output shaft/pin to m/cyl.....I tore apart my old booster wondering WTF was rong

What spring? Are you talking about the diaphragm spring? That doesn't connect the input and ouput shaft. AFAIK both shafts seat in the diaphragm itself. I haven't torn apart my C3's, but I've had it out before. There was no play whatsoever between my input and output shafts. It felt like they were butting up right against each other. I wonder if maybe you had the wrong booster in your car? You should not be able to bottom out the pedal period.

....well for something toss out to the engineering staff in say '63, not so awful evil...but gotta consider that '63 has been a while ago...
Pull down the brakes on a brand new car, and there ain't much different. 1 piece floating calipers is just about the only major change since then.

Last edited by wcsinx; 04-07-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default HB Update!

I just got off the phone w/brake tech. He said my unit was working just fine.
He explained that there is no nitrogen charge, there is an accumulator that gets charged from the unit.
When the PS pump fails, I get 1 or 2 presses on the pedal that work, after that you have nothing. The accumulator is not designed to get you home, it gets you off the road. That's it ,I will pick it up later and report anything interesting.
I don't know if this info will help anyone, now I know.

Ricisan
Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few members here in this thread said the same thing. That you will get 1 to 3 stops before it dies. A few people on this forum do know what they are talking about now and then lol.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:15 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
A few members here in this thread said the same thing. That you will get 1 to 3 stops before it dies. A few people on this forum do know what they are talking about now and then lol.
No, it will not die, it will just be as hard as a manual brakes, so you still can drive your car safely, just you need to depress the brake pedal harder to stop the car.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
EXACTLY, well put
Old 04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes just the easy part goes away. You just have to push Harder lol. Sorry as I did not see a need to say the same thing that has been said many times in this one single thread. Whewwwwww
Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

After the accumulator ran out, I had nothing! I could come to a stop using the trans and brake drag, but I did not have manual brakes.
I couldn't think about driving it home.
When the tech asked me how many times I pumped the pedal, I honestly couldn't remember. During a no brake crisis, I wasn't counting how many times I pumped the pedal. I come from the old school where you just keep pumping hoping to build up some pressure.
I don't know if this helped anyone or not. I need to retrain my brain to keep my foot into the pedal and not pump the brakes in the event this happens again. I know I have the belt tighter than it was.

Ricisan
Old 04-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Now that I think about it, I doubt that I put my foot to the floor?
I'm sure I kept pumping when I didn't feel any pedal building up.
If there was some manual brake at the bottom of the stroke, I didn't find it.
I put on the $ PS belt and used my new craftsman pry bar to get it nice and tight. Hopefully this will not come up again.

Ricisan
Old 04-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Taijutsu
Now that I think about it, I doubt that I put my foot to the floor?
I'm sure I kept pumping when I didn't feel any pedal building up.
If there was some manual brake at the bottom of the stroke, I didn't find it.
I put on the $ PS belt and used my new craftsman pry bar to get it nice and tight. Hopefully this will not come up again.

Ricisan
Rick, now that you have the car moving again, take it for a test run, shut the engine down and see what the brake response is. That way, you will be prepared for the next time which is hopefully never Mine feels much like manual brakes after the accumulator loses pressure.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

What spring? Are you talking about the diaphragm spring? That doesn't connect the input and ouput shaft. AFAIK both shafts seat in the diaphragm itself. I haven't torn apart my C3's, but I've had it out before. There was no play whatsoever between my input and output shafts. It felt like they were butting up right against each other. I wonder if maybe you had the wrong booster in your car? You should not be able to bottom out the pedal period.

Pull down the brakes on a brand new car, and there ain't much different. 1 piece floating calipers is just about the only major change since then.
That spring I referr to is about a inch+ long, and about inch in diameter, it was situated right around the diaphragm, but it was obviously situated on center with the input and output shafts, and the output looked like a long stem lawnmower valve....about a inch in diameter....I forget about the input shaft....anyway, that spring is wound out of about the same as a valve spring material....1/8 inch thick, and so it is not something you can compress easily, it will take all the leverage of your brake pedal assy to compress it...take apart the next shark power booster you see, like mine one that was all painted and corroded on the surface, making it almost worthless for a rebuilding core....but I never replaced it with one, so there was NO dud value to anyone, hense I tore it apart to see what I could....I was kind of surprised that spring was in there....as I saw no need of it....all I do know is that with relative ease my pedal saw the floor, and always did, with NO air in the lines, as proven by my A-B direct swap with HB unit...

all I can comment is about my battles/experiences with this '72 over some 15 years.....and it took a bit of convincing before I finally spend money to prove the case...but it WAS Norval that finally turned the case for me on this....maybe TT also....I forget...some 4-5 years ago now....

I should date reference when I do things...never have....

EDIT....thought of that old overhaul manual I have from '72,....and in there under brakes, is the section 5-22 showing the cross section of Bendix dual diaphram booster, and in there in the middle of it all is that spring I refer to above....they call it a Valve Return Spring....it has a cup in it, with the ball end of the input shaft seated there...and it presses on the diaphram with the output 'valve' shaped rod on the other side....sure enough...me not crazy....

Last edited by mrvette; 04-07-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hydroboost went Hydrobust!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:28 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 547 Likes on 375 Posts

One thing that I think really didn't come out in all these posts is that (1) if you have a Big Block, (2) if you have a tall valve cover for roller rockers and a stud girdle, and (3) you want power brakes, then a Hydroboost is your only option. The stock vacuum can will most likely hit the valve covers.

My 68 has manual brakes and I wish I had installed power brakes. After driving all my cars with power brakes, the extra brake force required by the 68 catches me by surprise the first few times I have to apply the brakes.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

EDIT....thought of that old overhaul manual I have from '72,....and in there under brakes, is the section 5-22 showing the cross section of Bendix dual diaphram booster, and in there in the middle of it all is that spring I refer to above....they call it a Valve Return Spring....it has a cup in it, with the ball end of the input shaft seated there...and it presses on the diaphram with the output 'valve' shaped rod on the other side....sure enough...me not crazy....
Nah man, you're definitely crazy. But I don't doubt your findings on the booster.

I still contend that isn't why your pedal was bottoming out though.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:02 PM
gyopp
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Binnie77
Rick, now that you have the car moving again, take it for a test run, shut the engine down and see what the brake response is. That way, you will be prepared for the next time which is hopefully never Mine feels much like manual brakes after the accumulator loses pressure.
Sounds like a good idea but be carefull, a member here that I will not name smacked his 69 up pretty good when he turned his off and locked the columm.

Quick Reply: Hydroboost went Hydrobust!