C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 door stuck - help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
saj vette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 door stuck - help?

Cannot open drivers door on 1981 coupe! key, handle lock all seem to wotk but won't open... ideas? thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Brandywine
Racer

Can you get in the car from the passenger door and open the drivers door from the inside?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 PM
saj vette
3rd Gear

Default no can do

I can get in from passenger side but nothing works... button, key nor door handle... prayer also hasn't worked... thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a long screwdriver to press the latch mechanism from the window slot.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like mals idea but never tried it, touch wood my door doesnt stuff but you can take of the interior panel from the inside. you have to take off your top and window down and its bit of a wiggle but once you get all the screws undone you aim the front into the footwell and bring the back up. then you can get to the door catch mechanism and open it. sounds like a mechanism problem if neither inside or outside handle works.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 PM
jbowles49
Instructor

Just had the same issue with my 80. Ditto to what Gman said about removing the door panel for access to the latch mech. I replaced mine
and the outside handle.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Brandywine
Racer

Old 12-14-2016, 06:06 PM
DarlaMcIntosh
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 1981 you can take the door panel off without taking out the seat? I keep seeing you have to take the seat out but that must be a different year?

I think my lock is broke. It was sticking out of the door panel a little bit but not anymore after me and a screw driver messed with it. Now key doesn't move lock at all.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by DarlaMcIntosh
On a 1981 you can take the door panel off without taking out the seat? I keep seeing you have to take the seat out but that must be a different year?

I think my lock is broke. It was sticking out of the door panel a little bit but not anymore after me and a screw driver messed with it. Now key doesn't move lock at all.
I have no clue what is wrong and why you want to do this.

I guess your door is still shut??? And will not open from the outside or inside???

You do know there is a way to open the door as long as you can roll your window down....don't you???

That overrride area on your latch does no care about any other parts of the latch mechanism. Press on it...the door will open.

Look at post #3...in case you do not know where to push down on the latch..

DUB
Old 12-14-2016, 06:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

And ...often times the door key may not work well due to the door lock solenoid/actuator is beginning to seize up and thus makes your door key seem impossible to turn. This is assuming you have power door locks.

DUB
Old 12-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Try this!

Roll the glass down and with a long screwdriver press down on this part.

Never mind, I didn't see this was such an old post.

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 12-14-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:57 PM
DarlaMcIntosh
Cruising

Originally Posted by DUB
I have no clue what is wrong and why you want to do this.

I guess your door is still shut??? And will not open from the outside or inside???

You do know there is a way to open the door as long as you can roll your window down....don't you???

That overrride area on your latch does no care about any other parts of the latch mechanism. Press on it...the door will open.

Look at post #3...in case you do not know where to push down on the latch..

DUB

Well yes the door is shut and it will not open from the outside or the inside and I tried the over ride latch and it still will not open. I do not have power locks and I was not wanting to take the door panel off just for fun.

Perhaps this is why so many people only read posts and don't contribute. Thanks I will figure it out.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Well yes the door is shut and it will not open from the outside or the inside and I tried the over ride latch and it still will not open. I do not have power locks and I was not wanting to take the door panel off just for fun.

Perhaps this is why so many people only read posts and don't contribute. Thanks I will figure it out.
If you press down on the tab in the photo of the post above yours...the door has to open. That is a direct override.....and not saying it can not happen...but in 30+ years and doing countless doors..I have never had one I could not open in this manner. Just make absolutely positive you are on the correct tab.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
DarlaMcIntosh (12-19-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I had this in my 81 once. The door lock switch was stuck on, (bad repop), and the power actuator stayed on. Pull the battery cable, and see if it works.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:14 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

this post is very old from 2009, a newby restarted it.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:39 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Darla, I believe that DUB may have been confused by your post, I know I was. I had my head wrapped around the original poster's problem and honestly had to read your initial post a couple of times to catch on to what you were saying. I believe this can happen more easily when we resurrect an old post such as this one. I have found myself reading pages of a multi page post only to realize that most of the pages are irrelevant (the problem has long since been resolved) because someone has pulled up an old thread. I would personally recommend you start a new thread when you're looking for a solution simply because there is less chance of confusion.

Having said all of that, here are a couple of threads where someone else actually tried the "long handled screwdriver" trick Peterbuilt and DUB were referring to... and it didn't work for him either.

In the first one Forum Member AboveTheLogic (post #6) actually takes a sawzall to his door striker to get his door open.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vers-door.html

In the second post AboveTheLogic goes on to explain the real reason why the door was stuck on his '79. He even includes a video.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-my-79-a.html

While these two posts may not explain what is preventing you from opening your door, if you've actually tried using the long screwdriver to pop the latch depicted in the above picture, it may be your only alternative. I have used the "long handled screwdriver" trick myself a few times and have found two things to consider. 1st, the blade of the screwdriver must be firmly on the lever before you strike it, and 2nd, you'll need to strike it harder than you might think. If the palm of your hand starts to hurt , you can try using a rubber mallet.

Finally, welcome to the Corvette Forum! I think you'll soon find it one of the most useful tools in your toolbox. I also think you'll soon find that DUB is one of the folks that make this Forum such a great place. He's not just one of the helpful folks here, he works on these cars daily and I promise very soon you'll find yourself looking for his responses in a thread! I know I do, and I always learn something new.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following 2 users liked this post by GUSTO14:
DarlaMcIntosh (12-19-2016), DUB (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

GUSTO,

VERY MUCH THANKS FOR YOUR POST!

Once again.....I learn something new. In 30+ years ...I have never EVER had a door I could not open with the long screwdriver 'trick'.

Lets hope I never do...because I KNOW that getting to the latch mechanism due to how some door panels need to come off would not be a 'picnic'....unless me getting the seat out would allow me enough access to get the latch to override and open.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 door stuck - help?

Old 12-19-2016, 10:13 PM
DarlaMcIntosh
Cruising

Default Thank you

[QUOTE=GUSTO14;1593684200]Darla, I believe that DUB may have been confused by your post, I know I was. I had my head wrapped around the original poster's problem and honestly had to read your initial post a couple of times to catch on to what you were saying. I believe this can happen more easily when we resurrect an old post such as this one. I have found myself reading pages of a multi page post only to realize that most of the pages are irrelevant (the problem has long since been resolved) because someone has pulled up an old thread. I would personally recommend you start a new thread when you're looking for a solution simply because there is less chance of confusion.

While these two posts may not explain what is preventing you from opening your door, if you've actually tried using the long screwdriver to pop the latch depicted in the above picture, it may be your only alternative. I have used the "long handled screwdriver" trick myself a few times and have found two things to consider. 1st, the blade of the screwdriver must be firmly on the lever before you strike it, and 2nd, you'll need to strike it harder than you might think. If the palm of your hand starts to hurt , you can try using a rubber mallet.

Thank you, I did end up hitting the right metal piece hard enough to open the door. Now I will see what is going on in there.

I don't do a lot of forums but this one has so much information I have to. I always thought you didn't post a new thread if you researched and found an existing one. Thanks for explaining.

Again thank you all for the responses.
-Darla
Old 12-20-2016, 06:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Darla,

I assume you have pwoer door locks??? A bad power door lock solenoid/actuator can cause you to really exert a lot of force when trying to unlock the door with the door key.

IF this is what is going on...please reply....because if you do not address this.....the damage that can occur will make you regret you did not fix it.

DUB
Old 12-20-2016, 06:40 PM
DarlaMcIntosh
Cruising

Originally Posted by DUB
Darla,

I assume you have pwoer door locks??? A bad power door lock solenoid/actuator can cause you to really exert a lot of force when trying to unlock the door with the door key.

IF this is what is going on...please reply....because if you do not address this.....the damage that can occur will make you regret you did not fix it.

DUB

No they are not power locks. When I get the door panel off can I post a picture of what I am seeing?

Quick Reply: 1981 door stuck - help?