C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson Steering Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:38 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Borgeson Steering Install

After reading about the Borgeson steering system here on the Forum, I went ahead and bought one for my 68, recieved it last Monday. Finished the install a couple hours ago and took the 68 for a cruise. About all I can say is the difference is unbelievable! Gone is the road wander, the dead spot in the center, the stiffness, the car tracks arrow straight on the freeway, and actually goes where I want it to on the twisties This is how it should have been done in the first place! Definitely one of the best mods I've done, right up there with the 200R4 swap
Install was pretty straightforward, about the only problem I had was the hoses. Not Borgeson's fault, it's how to snake them to the pump and avoid the headers and other areas.

Now for the pics:

This is how I recieved everything. The box is strapped to a piece of wood, also have the rag joint, hoses, and the link adapter to replace the control valve
[IMG][/IMG]

Old box on the left, new one on right

Box and link adapter installed
[IMG][/IMG]

The column needs to be shortened by gently tapping on the end. It was a trial and error process, I had installed and removed the box about four times before I got it right, even so I had to cut about an inch and a half off the plastic part the arrow is pointing to. Plus I had to disassemble the new rag joint and slide it on in sections. Wasn't that difficult once I figured out what I needed to do
[IMG][/IMG]

Hoses installed on the pump end. It's harder than it looks, those hoses are thicker than OEM, a little tough to manuever in the cramped quarters of the C3 engine bay
[IMG][/IMG]

Pitman arm installed. The input shaft of the Delphi 600 box is resplined to accept the C3 arm. That's as far as I could get it to go on. I'm going to check it again tomorrow
[IMG][/IMG]

Lots of room around the Hooker Comp headers. No issues there
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Nice job Randy.

I'm amazed that the huge steering box fits in so neatly.
The following users liked this post:
wabco40 (01-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2009, 12:51 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

This looks good. Where did you get it and how much?

carbster09
Old 07-02-2009, 12:57 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Thanks Mike! Come on over and check it out

carbster09-the total for the box, rag joint, link adapter and hose kit came to $749 before shipping. Call the number on this link and talk to Romeo, he's very helpful

http://www.borgeson.com/
Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookn' good Randy... I'll have to give it a test! In reference to the pitman... are you getting a full nut? Looks a little shy.... Muddy
Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

I did mine two months ago! Same Result! Awesome upgrade...although I will say switching from manual I'm having to re-educate myself on driving the car into corners! It's way cool!...Excellent hardware and excellent price! ....only problem is now the wife likes to drive the car...

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Muddywaters
Lookn' good Randy... I'll have to give it a test! In reference to the pitman... are you getting a full nut? Looks a little shy.... Muddy
That's the nut supplied with the kit, 100 lb of torque(as far as my wrench will go, factory is 150) Now that it's settled in I'll check it again this afternoon

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
I did mine two months ago! Same Result! Awesome upgrade...although I will say switching from manual I'm having to re-educate myself on driving the car into corners! It's way cool!...Excellent hardware and excellent price! ....only problem is now the wife likes to drive the car...

I read your threads on the Borgeson kit, went a long way towards my decision to buy it
Took some getting used to the quicker ratio, got it down now
My wife won't drive the 68, she's never even rode in it, one less thing to worry about
Old 07-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Günther-C3
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Perfect pics!!!!
I´m a bit sad because I also want to drive this box, because when I looked in my eninge bay to see how much space between stock steering box and my Headman header is, I saw there is no further space That sucks!
Have you any idea what I can do? I don´t want do mold the headers. Here a pic:

Thanks, Günther
Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Günther-C3
Perfect pics!!!!
I´m a bit sad because I also want to drive this box, because when I looked in my eninge bay to see how much space between stock steering box and my Headman header is, I saw there is no further space That sucks!
Have you any idea what I can do? I don´t want do mold the headers. Here a pic:

Thanks, Günther
Put in a small block?

I'm not sure if the box will fit with a big block, may want to call the above link and talk to the folks at Borgeson, see what they say
Old 07-02-2009, 01:47 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

682XLR8 -I read your threads on the Borgeson kit, went a long way towards my decision to buy it
I am glad to see you were not sceered off by the hysteria over the rag joint and went ahead with the borgeson unit. Makes me feel better about my decision to do the same.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:25 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Cut into the frame????

Gunther-C3,
A long time Forum member, norvalwilheim, was probably the first to use this type of integral power steering box, and his remedy was to cut out a section of the frame where the steering box fits and weld in a thicker piece of steel that was positioned perhaps five or six millimeters AWAY from the engine. That is, into the frame.

The result, he claimed, was to move the steering box the same 5 or 6mm away from the engine. As a bonus, he said that the box now lined up better with the steering shaft and put less strain on the rag joint.

You may want to consider going that way, if you are, or know, a competent welder.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
6 weeks to go
Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting to see that the Borgeson set up uses a flexible steering coupler similar to OEM and not a universal joint. This looks like a great system to upgrade to.

Thanks for posting the pictures and comments.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

I like the flexibility and stock look of the rag joint & so far have heard of no one having any problems with it

Didn't get a chance to check things out today after putting the new box throught its paces yesterday, tomorrow I'm off so I'll recheck all the bolts & make sure nothing rattled loose. At least there's no power steering fluid under the car
Old 07-03-2009, 04:07 AM
demonx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would this compare to the VBP manual to power steering steering upgrade?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Originally Posted by demonx
How would this compare to the VBP manual to power steering steering upgrade?

This the one you're referring to?

http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=994

The VBP kit appears to use the same Delphi 600 box, doesn't include the link adapter (not needed if you already have manual), costs almost $350 more than the similar Borgeson kit, and has a one year warranty (Borgesons has a three year)

Not about to put down any VBP product, but I'd say Borgeson is the better deal
Old 07-03-2009, 11:45 AM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice work Randy
Old 07-03-2009, 12:43 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Was the kit you used for converting an existing factory power steering system or a manual one? Looks great!

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson Steering Install

Old 07-03-2009, 04:09 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Looking at the pics, it was a PS car.

Rgds. Günther
Old 07-03-2009, 04:34 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone know if you can leave the old PS control valve on the arm and just connect the Pittman arm to it? Could save the expense of the adapter that way. The adapter looks an awful lot like the control valve with the hydraulic side cut off.

Rick B.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:56 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Was the kit you used for converting an existing factory power steering system or a manual one? Looks great!

The car already had power steering, saving the expense of a new pump

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
Anyone know if you can leave the old PS control valve on the arm and just connect the Pittman arm to it? Could save the expense of the adapter that way. The adapter looks an awful lot like the control valve with the hydraulic side cut off.

Rick B.
I don't think the PS control valve was designed to work as a full manual llink, but I could be wrong(been known to happen)

Quick Reply: Borgeson Steering Install