C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c3 bird cage

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Are you willing to rip apart the Corvette to this level ??
It is an extensive undertaking, remove front clip, remove the firewall.
then remove the rear birdcage sections, show him this picture of what his car will look like ! 69VETT
Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took me 7 days at 5 hrs per day just to swap out the rocker channels with a doner. The body was already on a body dolly and the fiberglass panels at #4 and #3 were off.

Steve L
73 coupe since new
Old 09-09-2009, 03:21 PM
78anniversary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack up the cigarette lighter and roll another car under it.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:58 PM
langlj00
Instructor

Originally Posted by 78anniversary
Jack up the cigarette lighter and roll another car under it.
Now that's funny
Old 09-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
Are you willing to rip apart the Corvette to this level ??
It is an extensive undertaking, remove front clip, remove the firewall.
then remove the rear birdcage sections, show him this picture of what his car will look like ! 69VETT
Very good example, keeping mind that almost half of the birdcage is still wrapped in 'glass in your picture. The rear clip is just as labour intensive as the front if not more so.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Agreed, that is only half way, for a full Bird Cage replacement !
I didn't want to scare them away from Corvettes for ever ! 69VETT
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FASTFISHEL,
If this is your FISRT Corvette...and you are going to perform a birdcage rebuild and restoration...and even though you appear to be a mechanic...I hope your skills at doing bodywork are at the skill level needed to perform a birdcage repair. I have done it before...and it is time consuming...and knowing that you have time on your hands...you are going to get "beat down hard" while doing this. AND BY NO MEANS am I saying that YOU CAN NOT DO IT...But... in those areas that you plan to sublet out to another shop(s)...may come back and haunt you due to the customer does not want to hear about problems that occur from work OUTSIDE your shop that YOU chose to send it to....if an issue arrises. And if you have not dealt with this shop before...becareful...because "finger pointing" is is always possible when some shops want to get out of re-working an area that has problems. TOO many cooks in the kitchen can make a bad meal. Something to think about.
All I can say is good luck...because you are embarking on one serious voyage.
I do appreciate your willingness to try...but performing major structural repairs is not to be taken lightly.....you will be liable for everything on this Corvette for a long time....depending on your guarantee/warranty.
"DUB"
Old 09-15-2009, 11:29 AM
FASTFISHEL
Intermediate

Default polishing turds

This car is on a dolly ready for tear down. Body adhesive and body tear down manuals are in the mail no stopping now. Ive got a few ideas on how to pull car apart without taking apart at every seam. Only replacing rockers and windshield frame. Going to separate back from floor and front.Anyone have any good pics on body tear down? $25,000.00 in build not including labor. Crazy huh?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 AM
FASTFISHEL
Intermediate

I do know to what extent this car has to be disassembled. I am not scared just a little worried that I am going to go over on time. I am not going to outsource this work because the shop that said they can do it has already proven to me they are not competent enough and will not give me a door jam alignment guarantee with the estimate. So I will build this car completely on my own and then put out a product I know my customer will be proud to own and drive.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

If you really have somebody who is willing to pay for this then its a great oppoturnity for you to learn C3. Do it properly with good documentation and you might find new business oppoturnities with more expensive Vettes. There are lots of wealthy people who don't want to make their own rebuilds and restorations.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 PM
FASTFISHEL
Intermediate

Default birdcage

Yeah Toni my thoughts exactly. The quality of work that I normally put out people are going to see this build step by step and want to give me there money. This is an unexpected repair and we are going outside the budget and time line but I believe that myself and the vette owner will reap huge benefits from this build. Anybody know where a good priced LS1,2,3,6, with all wire comp and possibly trans is at. I can rebuild.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 PM
69ragvette
Racer

Default cage

I am currently doing my own birdcage on my first vette and its a convertible I am not a body man but I did stay at a holiday inn. a lot of measuring and tacking in braces and some fiber glass work I am a self taught welder fiberglasser and have already made some of my own parts but its mine and I am building a driver http://photobucket.com/bertpayne
Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFISHEL
No it is not a 4 speed. It is a customer car and he is set on spending the money. I have another shop looking at doing the glass work but it sounds like they DO NOT know what they are doing! Anyone send me a link or a pic of where the fiberglass has to be separated to replace most if not all cage?
Try this link, lots of good photos and info. http://www.corvette-restoration.com
Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 69rv,
It's AMAZING how innocent it looks in the first 2 pictures you up-loaded to Photobucket.
Did you know at that point?
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-18-2010, 07:06 AM
69ragvette
Racer

Default cage

no I did not/I thought all I had was some cracks in the front clip.but I guess thats why they say a fool and his money are quickly parted.but nobody will ever sell me another bad one

Last edited by 69ragvette; 03-18-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 69r,
The easy ones are.... well, easy. The hard ones are experiences that change you a little.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

......customer must have one of those Black American Express Cards.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFISHEL
I have informed this customer of the expense of this build in comparison to buying a newer or at least more valuable older vette. He wants this car built and business is to slow to turn down the job. I am more than capable of doing the job with little direction. Yes first vette but I am not worried about time, doing alot of mods LS1, coil over all round, only original piece of car will be body.
I admire your honesty in stating that this is your first Corvette. And if you are doing a lot of mechanical mods...which it sounds like...when doing the birdcage...that is a whole different situation. Yes it is do-able...but you may find that the amount of time you spend doing this is quite excessive. But if the $$$$$ are there and you want to spend the time doing it....my best to you.

There are SO many issues when doing this type of repair...getting panels off and back on so when other parts are being installed...those parts fit correctly. If you do not have an assembly manual...you might want to get one.

If you are trusting another shop to do the fiberglass work...and they do not know what they are doing...or give you the "feeling" that they do not have a "clue". You may be opening a "can of worms" that can haunt you for a long time.

Your customer is trusting to to be able to do the job...and trust me....if there are any issues in the future...the customer is going to come to you and not the shop that you out-sourced it to. Be careful in who you choose to do the work if you are not going to do it yourself.

Best of luck to you in this repair.

"DUB"

Quick Reply: c3 bird cage