C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazy headlights? Here's a tip

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Aussie79
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lazy headlights? Here's a tip

Recently I replaced both vacuum relays and fitted new seals and boots to both actuators to fix headlights that wouldnt go up at all. Worked a treat.

However, about two months later, drivers side headlight is MUCH slower to rise than the other, so I borrowed vacuum guage and clamps, hoses and fittings and tested the entire vacuum system to find the source of the lazy motion, no fault found, all hoses and check valves working perfectly.

Then, for no reason at all, I decided to remove the filters from the bottom of the relays and sprayed some WD40 in to the sliding shaft of the units and voila, the headlights both go up quick and together, turns out it is a lazy or dragging plunger in the relays.

How cool is that? Give it a try if your vacuum appears good and your relays are in good condition but headlight(s) are lazy.

Cheers, Dennis.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie79
Recently I replaced both vacuum relays and fitted new seals and boots to both actuators to fix headlights that wouldnt go up at all. Worked a treat.

However, about two months later, drivers side headlight is MUCH slower to rise than the other, so I borrowed vacuum guage and clamps, hoses and fittings and tested the entire vacuum system to find the source of the lazy motion, no fault found, all hoses and check valves working perfectly.

Then, for no reason at all, I decided to remove the filters from the bottom of the relays and sprayed some WD40 in to the sliding shaft of the units and voila, the headlights both go up quick and together, turns out it is a lazy or dragging plunger in the relays.

How cool is that? Give it a try if your vacuum appears good and your relays are in good condition but headlight(s) are lazy.

Cheers, Dennis.
This does work and I posted the WD40 trick and was flamed. I have sprayed ww40 into the ports on a few Corvettes and it has worked. I sprayed the one I have now when one light was slow and the other just didn't come up. Now they pop like new and that was back in October when I sprayed them.

The following users liked this post:
LenWoodruff (06-22-2018)
Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the tip, My left side is slow coming up I'll give this a try...
Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Great, I'll try it too!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 AM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They say you can fix 60% of mechanical issues with duct tape and a can of WD40....

Good ol' Ausie ingenuity

Might give it a try on my lazy left light too.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wd40

This stuff will fix anything!

I had a riding lawn mower that wouldn't get out of 5th gear. Frustrated me to no end, so I parked it by the street with a FREE sign on it.

My neighbor took it and put it in their yard.

Later that night I saw them driving it around (slow) clearly in a lower gear.

My OTHER neighbor had come over and saw it - showed them how to spray the shifter input with WD40...and problem solved. I had to see it once a week mowing their lawn while I was begging and borrowing mowers to get back in business.

I now keep a bottle on the shelf at all times!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:34 PM
10caipirinhas
Pro

Originally Posted by OzzyTom
They say you can fix 60% of mechanical issues with duct tape and a can of WD40....
Yeah......but.....for a more permanent fix that will be utterly impervious to being broken down by all foreign substances you should use Vegemite in place of WD40.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
buffaloc3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank's for the tip
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

But can you buy vegemite in the United States? I heard it's against the law to ship it by land, sea, or air.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Aussie79
Racer

Originally Posted by FatCat Red 25th
This does work and I posted the WD40 trick and was flamed. I have sprayed ww40 into the ports on a few Corvettes and it has worked. I sprayed the one I have now when one light was slow and the other just didn't come up. Now they pop like new and that was back in October when I sprayed them.

Sorry yours got flamed and mine didnt, I dont understand why anyone would flame a genuine handy hint that works. The only further suggestion I have on this hint is that maybe WD40 isnt a long term solution, if it gets slow again in the future I will try a silicon based spray as it may deliver longer lasting silicon to the plunger. Vegemite may work but how do you stop the ants from moving in????????

Dennis.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I remember the other post- it suggested spraying WD40 inside the pneumatic chambers of the actuators, not inside the mechanical section of the relay. Apples and oranges.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:33 AM
thatcorvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyTom

Good ol' Ausie ingenuity

Might give it a try on my lazy left light too.
You forgot bailing wire and silicone.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:54 AM
snoopykissedlucy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Am I the only one that is mad that a can of WD40 now costs $5 at walmart instead of $3 because of their new fancy spray tube that cant be lost.......crappy marketing genius!!!

I've been looking for the old cheap cans....nowhere to be found.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry yours got flamed and mine didnt, I dont understand why anyone would flame a genuine handy hint that works. The only further suggestion I have on this hint is that maybe WD40 isnt a long term solution, if it gets slow again in the future I will try a silicon based spray as it may deliver longer lasting silicon to the plunger. Vegemite may work but how do you stop the ants from moving in????????

Dennis.
Your tip works very well and your correct the wet silicone spray (not dry)is a better long term fix. WD is a great cleaner !
(Spraying WD in the vent hose of the vacuum switch under the left wiper arm is a must when testing that part of the system.)
Old 02-17-2010, 06:54 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by snoopykissedlucy
Am I the only one that is mad that a can of WD40 now costs $5 at walmart instead of $3 because of their new fancy spray tube that cant be lost.......crappy marketing genius!!!

I've been looking for the old cheap cans....nowhere to be found.
I wonder if the newest no-loss tube has something to do with spray back getting in someones eyes. With the original cans you could slightly press down and control the flow but then they went to cans that would blast as soon as you touched the button (probably so you would use more product).
I started buying WD by the gallon and using my own method of delivery,much much better and cheaper.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:43 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Aussie for the Tip. I will certainly give it a shot.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Dennis.
Plus silicon won't beat up the rubber hoses and seals IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Lazy headlights? Here's a tip

Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
I remember the other post- it suggested spraying WD40 inside the pneumatic chambers of the actuators, not inside the mechanical section of the relay. Apples and oranges.
Mike Ward - Yes, you were the big flamer on my post as you normally do. I didn't want to call you out in this thread. I stated that I like to spray all of the ports. The actuators have seals that can benefit from some lube. You just like to discredit anyone you choose to lash out at. If the lube doesn't fix the problem then no loss; it can be replaced.

You however just throw parts at every problem and insult everyone who you disagree with and that’s not hard to do.

One of the best improvements this forum could ever make is to add you to the band list. You sir are extremely condescending.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Dennis.
No problem, some just like to be diffucult regardless. I like the silicon idea and if mine get stiff again I going to try it. Your handy hint could save some one some $$ in parts replacement that is not needed. Thanks Dennis
Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FatCat Red 25th
Mike Ward - Yes, you were the big flamer on my post as you normally do. I didn't want to call you out in this thread. I stated that I like to spray all of the ports. The actuators have seals that can benefit from some lube. You just like to discredit anyone you choose to lash out at. If the lube doesn't fix the problem then no loss; it can be replaced.

You however just throw parts at every problem and insult everyone who you disagree with and that’s not hard to do.

One of the best improvements this forum could ever make is to add you to the band list. You sir are extremely condescending.
Here's the thread where I supposedly 'flamed' the poster. If any of you find this beyond your tolerance level, please please block me.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...s-already.html

BTW- you made no mention of spraying all the ports, just the two ports of the actuator. WD40 is NOT a rubber conditioner.

Quick Reply: Lazy headlights? Here's a tip