C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cragar SS Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 AM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I can only think that the 4" bs that hit the calipers was because of non stock calipers. I do know that aftermarket calipers can pose a problem with 4" bs.

Keep in mind you can order 3.75", 3.5" back spacing as well. Spacers are just not a good idea.

I canceled my order because now I need to do some more research.

4" back spacing should be perfect with a stock set up, but I am a little nervous since they are custom order.

The spokes on classic ss are flat in the back. Not sure why 4" will not work. I am hoping to find an old beat up unilug with 4-1/4 back spacing to test. If 4-1/4" works then 4" will for sure. If 4-1/4" does not work I will test with spacers until it works and that is the bs I need.

Bill
Old 02-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by rod7515
I was always told they set caster / camber and toe from the hubs?
Rodney
No, its set from the outer edge of the rim. A measuring device is clamped to the outer edge of the rim on each wheel.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 PM
tarheeljww
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of the cragar 40th aniv SS in 16 x 8 and they fit fine.....

BTW, as I picked up a set of Foose 17s the Cragars are for sale with a set of Dunlaps included.......mounted, but never seen the road.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Tele_Man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running Cragar SS on my '69 since 2003 with the 1/2" spacers. It's a close shave to the brake calipers, but I've never had a problem.

The AR wheels are nice, but I think the Cragar wheels are more correct for the era of the car in the later sixties.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 AM
boomhwr
5th Gear

got pics??? legends are awsome!!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Tele_Man
Pro

Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1974ta
I can only think that the 4" bs that hit the calipers was because of non stock calipers. I do know that aftermarket calipers can pose a problem with 4" bs.

Keep in mind you can order 3.75", 3.5" back spacing as well. Spacers are just not a good idea.

I canceled my order because now I need to do some more research.

4" back spacing should be perfect with a stock set up, but I am a little nervous since they are custom order.

The spokes on classic ss are flat in the back. Not sure why 4" will not work. I am hoping to find an old beat up unilug with 4-1/4 back spacing to test. If 4-1/4" works then 4" will for sure. If 4-1/4" does not work I will test with spacers until it works and that is the bs I need.

Bill
Backspacing really has nothing to do with whether the wheel will hit the caliper or not. It is how the backside of the spokes are designed that matters. If the spokes come straight out from the hub surface, they will most likely hit the caliper. That is where you will need the spacer to push the wheel out. If the back side of the spokes arch out towards the front side, they will most likely clear. There are people on this forum that are running a 5.5" back space wheel (on the rear) with no problems of hitting the caliper. The drag racers who are running skinnies on the front most likely have a 2-2.5" back space and have no problems. Stock 15X8" aluminum wheels were 4" back space and didn't have problems.

Back spacing is the distance from the mounting surface to the back edge of the rim. The backspacing will effect how much clearance there is between the rim/tire and the frame, steering parts, trailing arm, and suspension parts.

A spacer shouldn't effect your alignment unless the two surfaces of the spacer are not parallel.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
Backspacing really has nothing to do with whether the wheel will hit the caliper or not. It is how the backside of the spokes are designed that matters. If the spokes come straight out from the hub surface, they will most likely hit the caliper. That is where you will need the spacer to push the wheel out. If the back side of the spokes arch out towards the front side, they will most likely clear. There are people on this forum that are running a 5.5" back space wheel (on the rear) with no problems of hitting the caliper. The drag racers who are running skinnies on the front most likely have a 2-2.5" back space and have no problems. Stock 15X8" aluminum wheels were 4" back space and didn't have problems.

Back spacing is the distance from the mounting surface to the back edge of the rim. The backspacing will effect how much clearance there is between the rim/tire and the frame, steering parts, trailing arm, and suspension parts.

A spacer shouldn't effect your alignment unless the two surfaces of the spacer are not parallel.
What he said.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
arcticcatmatt
Racer

SS's on my 71 with spacers

Old 07-08-2017, 04:23 PM
braymond
5th Gear

Default cragar s/s wheels

does cragar make an s/s wheel for a 2005 corvette coupe? rear wheels are 19 inch and front wheels are 18 inch
Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by braymond
does cragar make an s/s wheel for a 2005 corvette coupe? rear wheels are 19 inch and front wheels are 18 inch

Go to Jegs and look. If they don't have them they aren't made.

Quick Reply: Cragar SS Wheels?