C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running the Flex a lite #292 duals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,098 Likes on 748 Posts

Default Anyone running the Flex a lite #292 duals?

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...-electric.html

I don't know crap about electric fans but it seems like these would give good radiator coverage etc, plenty of cfm (4600), ram air flaps etc.... It would be a tight fit getting them in there I imagine but....if you could one would think they could cool down even the hottest running engine....

I know I am going with the Dewitts radiator, the fans I am uncertain of.....I know Dewitts has the dual fan option which looks great but I think I am gonna need more cooling then what 2 11" fans are gonna provide...(2700cfm)......

Spal also has a dual 12" unit that is like 3100 cfm that might be an option.....and ofcourse there is the Lincoln MKVIII fans but I like the idea of duals....(incase one craps out, you still have one left)...

Just wondering if anyone has fitted/running the Flex a lite 292s with any success....

I am trying to cool a 650hp big block, with AC and auto.....AND I need it to stay 185* or less....in Houston...(100*/95% humidity summers)....Its gonna take the best of everything...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I don't know crap about electric fans but
I think I am gonna need more cooling then what 2 11" fans are gonna provide
You won't. We've been supplying this package for about 5-6 years now and not once has anyone told me our rad/fan combo wasn't enough to cool their motor.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
You won't. We've been supplying this package for about 5-6 years now and not once has anyone told me our rad/fan combo wasn't enough to cool their motor.

Right now I am running my original SB 4 core radiator(freshly cleaned/rodded) and the stock 7 blade fan with new AC delco clutch.....During the winter the car would never go over 170*, even with ambient temps in the low 70s.....Now that its 90*+ and running AC, it will run 190-195* in town and 200-210* on the freeway....but it will continue to climb on the freeway...I always exit when it hits 210*.....I have all new seals, pump, stat, etc...

I am looking to get it in the 185* range MAX....so I need some major over kill in the cooling dept...I know I will use your radiator....just the fans I am not sure of....I don't want to be "the one" that calls you and says your rad/fan combo wasn't enough to cool my motor...

Even kicking the idea around of keeping my stock clutch fan/shroud but I sure don't feel like fighting that install again....
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Buy Dewitts rad and run dual 13 inch spal fans, I only need to run one and you know how much HP 427ci small block puts out

Dewitts setup is better than those Flexolites

This setup was custom made for me the 13 in. Spals draw ~25-30amps each

Last edited by MotorHead; 05-24-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I think I remember Hugie82 installing flex a lites ,not sure of the number.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

I had Flexolite 210's on my 550HP 406ci and would get the dreaded "creep" on a hot day in traffic. Get stuck in a traffic jam and you are in trouble, don't know anything about these 292's other than there are different methods of advertising CFM flow of fans
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Pretty well all the manufacturers rate their fans at 0 static pressure. It gives them the highest cfm to advertise.
Those flex fans pictured with the thin straight blades will pull much more air than a comparable s blade fan, but will also make much more noise.
That's the nicest shroud design I have seen.
The amp rating seems odd for the flow. I would question if that is for only 1 fan for that cfm.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

You can here 1 of my fans over my 600HP motor which is pretty noisey, those straight blades are gonna wake up the dead if they are louder and pull more air

THe spals are rated from 0 to 28.6 mm H20 where they stop flowing any air
Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by noonie
The amp rating seems odd for the flow. I would question if that is for only 1 fan for that cfm.
That's what I was thinking , 4700 cfm at 28 amps seems almost too good to be true.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MotorHead
You can here 1 of my fans over my 600HP motor which is pretty noisey, those straight blades are gonna wake up the dead if they are louder and pull more air

THe spals are rated from 0 to 28.6 mm H20 where they stop flowing any air
The noise won't bother me...I am just concerned about getting the most air flow that I can. Running AC with a steel head BB and the under hood temps are insane....I will say my stock clutch fan does a decent job of cooling it at idle/slow speeds....but I think the clutch disengages on the highway(which it should) but I think I need the additional help at freeway speeds even....if anything just to direct air flow through the radiator....

I am sure Dewitts has done a tone of research on fan combos etc.....I wonder why they stuck with the 11" Spals as opposed to 12-13"? I would think you could stagger mount the fans and get the 13"s to fit pretty easy...

Lots of guys on the Chevelle forum use Dodge Neon dual fans. They are 12" and easily fit a 25" core with the way the shroud is.... Also Dodge Intrepid and Chrysler 300/Charger fans...those are 12"/15" combo fans...I don't think they'll fit a vette rad though...
Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Why don't you put the Dewitts in and use the stock fan clutch and see how it does ?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Why don't you put the Dewitts in and use the stock fan clutch and see how it does ?

That is probably what I am gonna do....my main reasons for wanting go electric is:

1) Potential HP gain
2) Not have to fight the installation of the factory shroud
3) Potential better cooling at idle....(maybe? The jury is out on this..)

PROS for running the oem clutch fan
1) Always there, always works
2) Stock appearance
3) No alternator or wiring upgrades needed.
4) Less parts involved that can fail.

After tons of searching, many members here with BBs and AC say the stock clutch fan won't keep up...I guess I will be the test dummy and find out. I will do the Dewitts radiator w/ stock clutch fan and see how it does. I can always add the electric fans/alternator later but.....I was trying to minimize the amount of times I have to tear the front of this thing apart....

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running the Flex a lite #292 duals?

Quick Reply: Anyone running the Flex a lite #292 duals?