C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

327 Buildup Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:51 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,908 Likes on 930 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Other than nostalgia....any reason you really want to stick with 327"?

Even back in the day folks were stroking 327's and cleaning up at the races by telling everyone it was still a 327.

We just did a 400" and disguised it to look like the 283/270 that came in this stock '61 Vette. Stored original engine and built this to have fun.

After these pics we spent more time detailing the ends of the heads with no bolt holes and the diamond point markings.

Depending on carb setups we made 495-555HP with it!

JIM
Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I love those "classic stealth" builds! I've done a few very stock looking performance builds in the 400-425HP range that were completely factory authentic from the outside including top-screw hose clamps, etc.

That one looks incredible - did the owner leave the headers on or go back to rams-horns?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Birdman
I see what you're saying, and thanks for all the input billa.

It almost seems that it would be cheaper to just buy a used built up engine, than try to build this one up...because at this point I want to replace the pistons as well.. Problem is, I want to keep the 327 (or get a 427) really bad...and not many people are selling built up ones..
If the short block is in good shape, then you really don't need to replace the pistons. It sure wouldn't be cheaper than a top to rebuild the shortblock; figure that adds another $2500 at the least to the project.

I'd wait until you can do a compression/leak-down test to see that the shortblock is solid, then pull the heads and see what we have, then make a top purchase. Heck, you can get the stuff you need for the top at your door a few days after you order - so we don't need to be in a big hurry

These things are always iterative - it takes a couple of passes through before you get an approach that "clicks".
Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

It went in with rams horns, all chrome shielding and is pretty darn stealthy! And FAST!!

One advantage of C-1's is the engine mount on front *hides* a lot unless you're looking for it. Most people don't notice stuff like dipstick position etc.

JIM
Old 07-03-2010, 04:03 AM
tapio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Other than nostalgia....any reason you really want to stick with 327"?

Even back in the day folks were stroking 327's and cleaning up at the races by telling everyone it was still a 327.

We just did a 400" and disguised it to look like the 283/270 that came in this stock '61 Vette. Stored original engine and built this to have fun.

After these pics we spent more time detailing the ends of the heads with no bolt holes and the diamond point markings.

Depending on carb setups we made 495-555HP with it!

JIM
Jim, can you share the details on that 400" motor?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:18 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tapio
Jim, can you share the details on that 400" motor?
Yeah....and not in my thread. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:10 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Say what Birdman??

Sorry...you just lost all my input. I don't see that question as a Hijack.

What you fail to realize is that the details and tricks involved in that 400" buildup would apply very well to your 327. They are all just small block Chevy's.

Go ahead and order a bunch of parts....

See ya,

JIM

PS- Tapio- sorry.....This engine buildup will be fully covered in an article I'm writing for Corvette Enthusiast magazine...but in the meantime do a search in the C-2 section under *Devildog*. That will get you started. We can start another thread and get into some more details since this one is not interested.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:29 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Default Relax...

Guys...relax. Maybe the posting was a little OT, maybe not - but regardless there's no reason either way to not continue this discussion.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Project80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing unreasonable about this request.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:19 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Say what Birdman??

Sorry...you just lost all my input. I don't see that question as a Hijack.

What you fail to realize is that the details and tricks involved in that 400" buildup would apply very well to your 327. They are all just small block Chevy's.

Go ahead and order a bunch of parts....

See ya,

JIM

PS- Tapio- sorry.....This engine buildup will be fully covered in an article I'm writing for Corvette Enthusiast magazine...but in the meantime do a search in the C-2 section under *Devildog*. That will get you started. We can start another thread and get into some more details since this one is not interested.
Hey Jim,

I apologize if I offended you with my request for you to take that question to another topic. I didn't feel that it pertained as much to my measly 327, where I was trying to find out about parts specific to it and its size. If that build truly does belong in this topic, then I apologize and chalk it up to why I'm here in the first place..I don't know much and am trying to learn. I also apologize if I came out rude with my request, had no intention of being that way.

And as an aside, I did respect and appreciate the input that you have so far made to my thread, and would like to thank you, if I haven't already.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Alright, so just throwing another option/what-if question out there...

...if I should decide to sell the current 327 (out of another C2/3)...how much could I reasonably expect to get for it? It still runs, but would probably just need a freshen up.. I mean...I DID just drive it from Columbia, SC to Myrtle Beach, to Asheville, NC and back..no problems.

If I could get around 3K for it, I'd probably be happy...and would just buy an all new 327. Lazy man's option I know...but I rarely have time when I'm home to really deal with it all, plus it is my DD...(although I have access to other vehicles, but hate to tie up anyone else's ride). When I'm home from Afghanistan or Italy...I try to make the most out of my time, which usually consists of visiting family, gf, etc..not wrenching on a car, even though I'd LOVE to have the time to do that as well. It's also why I had done all those modifications to the car in 3 days as some of you may remember..lol

However...another option is to send it to the shop while I'm still deployed (have 5 more months)...but shops usually scare me as I've had bad dealings with them in the past (Jeep, not corvette).
Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Used engines are a tough call - especially for a Corvette as if it's the orginal engine it makes up a significant portion of the car's value. Otherwise...it's just a used engine of uncertain vintage. I strongly doubt you'd get 3K for it; look around a bit on some of the internet for sale sites and see what they're going for. Key point is that when a used engine is being sold...they're all "Corvette" engines ;-)

I have to think there's a local shop that would do a quality rebuild once you have your targets together. Post on the regional board and see if anyone has a recommendation.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Do you think having a shop build mine up to about 400 horses would cost anywhere around $5K?

Oh and for those interested....427 Hotrod and I have made up and enjoyed each other's company over a nice lobster and steak dinner. In all seriousness he's a great guy, very knowledgeable, and glad to have him back on the home team, lol.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:02 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

400 HP from 327 CID = 1.2 HP/CID...which is where things start getting somewhat expen$ive. $5K is probably right in there, but I'd budget closer to $6.5 if you're planning a retrofit roller. This assumes a straight rebuild of the 327 shortblock with the existing crank, aftermarket rods and forged pistons - along with a decent set of aftermarket heads and a matching intake. More design work is required, but that would be the general configuration I'd see...

I figure everybody can work stuff out over a Beer Summit if they're good guys...and anyone that owns a Corvette is by defnition a good guy

Last edited by billla; 07-06-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 327 Buildup Suggestions