C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Can I Fix These Pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 AM
vho69
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you need a couple more beers lars, maybe a case
Old 10-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
I didn't show a forth piston, because there wasn't anything left to take a picture of. Since the piston wasn't there, the plug wasn't fouling, so it must be good. I'll just leave that bore without a piston, 'cause that seemed to work pretty good.
I think you're on the right path with this strategy. Assuming that this is an 8 cylinder engine, the remaining four pistons should be discarded irrespective of their condition and high quality colour photocopies of the set shown above put in their place. This will ensure that the rotating assembly remains in perfect balance.

With respect to the plug fouling, simply leave the plugs out of the cylinders experiencing this problem. It is well known that engines consume tremendous amount of energy in order to compress the air prior to combustion, so it is easy to see how the lost energy will be regained. The substantial weight savings will be an added bonus.

Thanks for writing in, you can always be sure of receiving the best technical advice possible here on the CF.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Not until faced with a true technical challenge does one realize what wonderful professional & competent technical support one can get from a group of people such as this. There are suggestions here that not even my twisted mind could ever have come up with, and I'm certain they will all work! To pay for the duct tape, silicone, SeaFoam, JBWeld and other key commodities, I do think I'll sell the one piston that, I think, resembles the Virgin Mary holding the Baby Jesus. With the leftover money, I'll buy a new C6.

Lars
Old 10-10-2010, 11:21 AM
firstvett69
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default piston fix

Everything has been mentioned but the cheapest and most reasonable fix. Get you a JEGS magazine, or ELDOBROCK, or what ever you prefer go to the piston and ring section, with scissors cut out the piston and rings set you would like and any other parts you desire, problem fixed, or just cut yourself out a new 383, 496 crate engine and glue it in. This would be the most reasonable, quick, and easy fix. Oh don't forget the Elmer's for proper installation.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Lars.......Very well played.......Touche &
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Thmprr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About bizarre piston fixes, a mate of mine was driving his Holden HQ ute (a car type pickup) to Auckland, and he had a piston failure on the motorway (freeway), so he saw a junkyard over the fence, and went and liberated another rod and piston and changed on the motorway (freeway) verge, by removing the oil pan and cylinder head. Installed the rings with 2 flat screwdrivers. That ute went for another 100,000 miles like that!
Another true story was an english car, think it was a Vauxhall had a piston failure out of town, could not afford another replacement or even find one, so my uncle carved one out of hardwood, made a steel plate top which was screwed to the top of the wood end grain, no rings, he soaked it all in hot engine oil, and he made it back home 250miles like that and drove it to work for another week. I guess the cylinder pressure was not high!
Old 10-10-2010, 05:55 PM
PuddleJumper
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thmprr
About bizarre piston fixes, a mate of mine was driving his Holden HQ ute (a car type pickup) to Auckland, and he had a piston failure on the motorway (freeway), so he saw a junkyard over the fence, and went and liberated another rod and piston and changed on the motorway (freeway) verge, by removing the oil pan and cylinder head. Installed the rings with 2 flat screwdrivers. That ute went for another 100,000 miles like that!
Another true story was an english car, think it was a Vauxhall had a piston failure out of town, could not afford another replacement or even find one, so my uncle carved one out of hardwood, made a steel plate top which was screwed to the top of the wood end grain, no rings, he soaked it all in hot engine oil, and he made it back home 250miles like that and drove it to work for another week. I guess the cylinder pressure was not high!
both of those are nuts but verry posible
Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 PM
82CEtuner
Instructor

I just want to know what happend to cause that
Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Tom Sarno
Racer

Originally Posted by Thmprr
cylinder pressure was not high!
I saw Lee Majors as the Six Million Dollar Man remove pistons from a Nuns car and used a grinding stone to cut them down. He used his hand as a micrometer to check the size and then installed the slugs in a plane motor and it flew!

If that's possible, I believe road side swap of a piston that caused a car to actually stop running on a motorway is not totally impossible.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Tom Sarno
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom Sarno
I saw Lee Majors as the Six Million Dollar Man remove pistons from a Nuns car and used a grinding stone to cut them down. He used his hand as a micrometer to check the size and then installed the slugs in a plane motor and it flew!

If that's possible, I believe road side swap of a piston that caused a car to actually stop running on a motorway is not totally impossible.
Hey, now that I think about it, where did Lee Majors get a new head gasket??
Old 10-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom Sarno

That's nothing. Chuck Norris would command the engine to run forever with no pistons, rings, con rods, spark plugs or a crankshaft- just by looking at it. Or else.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:48 AM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HOOAH
Should have used slick 50

Frank
Old 10-11-2010, 07:00 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Change the muffler bearings while you're at it...
Old 10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey its worth a shot?

Old 10-11-2010, 02:38 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 82CEtuner
I just want to know what happend to cause that
Come on Lars tell us the story behind the pistons.
They look a little like they came out of a sunken boat motor !
Old 10-11-2010, 02:49 PM
roger3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw this post and spit coffee through my nose when I saw the pictures.

I was really suckered when I saw Lars asking for advise. I had to read the thread to see what had him puzzled.

Now i'm going home early after cleaning my keyboard and computer screen, and trying to explain why this is funny to my coworkers who don't give a **** about old cars.

Roger
Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 AM
cajos
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How to turn destruction in to art!

Get notified of new replies

To How Can I Fix These Pistons?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Come on Lars tell us the story behind the pistons.
They look a little like they came out of a sunken boat motor !
It's what happens when you leave your Vette engine in the garage and your house becomes the victim of the 4-Mile Canyon fire... The numbers-matching block is still good, and we're working the engine rebuild right now. Tough part was getting the pistons and crank out of the block.

I think the 300-shot of nitrous story sounds better, though...

Lars
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I shoulda known better...

than to even open this thread. Your a funny guy Lars, and if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you have quite a fan club. My personal thought was gonna be to use the JB Weld of course.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by roger3
spit coffee through my nose
I don't think that's technically possible.

Quick Reply: How Can I Fix These Pistons?